“Could be better”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #11 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Boston
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This place was ok. It would be good if there is two or more of you. Though if you are by yourself then the place can get pretty boring and your going to have to create your own fun. The rooms were clean but bare but that is all you want. The wifi is slow though. The shower room is shared though I have seen a lot worse but I have also seen a lot better. They serve breakfast and for $10 you get dinner as well which is different though there is not much variety. One thing to take note off is that this place seems to be a pace for social housing as well. Some of the staff was we're ok though not all.

Room Tip: Good if you are part of a group, though if by yourself, maybe try some where else
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were travelling around the States for 4 weeks looking at universities for my friends PhD. We stayed here for 4 nights so we could travel to MIT and Harvard. Some great bars nearby nice and accessible by bus. LOVED THE FREE POPCORN!!!

Met some lovely people there as well so all round was ace!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
40Berkeley, Front Office Manager at 40 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. Brings us delight to know you enjoyed your stay and our popcorn machine. Thank you again for staying with us and comeback soon for our delicious cookies. For special deals and offers or if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Staff was friendly but slow. Room was clean but the radiator kept making a horrible sound all night which kept me from sleeping. Nothing could be done about that the staff explained. The rest rooms were ok but they would close them off for cleaning in the morning, making me have to run down to another floor to get a shower. Breakfast was horrible! I recommend skipping it all together. The day of our departure, we left our bags with the staff in the lobby. We got tags but when I came to get my bags they didn't even check the tags. They just let me into the room and allowed me to pick anything I wanted. I accidentally got the wrong bag which I luckily discovered before I entered my taxi. All in all an ok place since it is cheap compared to hotels in Boston. The location is good. But I probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have stayed in hostels before and am always a little leery but this one exceeded my expectations. Clean and plenty of hot water, which were my biggest concerns. I took my own sheets in case I didn't like what I saw but they never came out of the suitcase. The sheets were clean, crisp and good smelling. The staff was helpful, especially Paula. Overall experience was good and I would stay here again but this or any hostel is not for the high maintenance traveler. No negatives for me but I can see how a summer stay might get warm but when I was there it was cool at night and that was really the only time I was in my room and the room temp was fine.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. Brings us delight to know you enjoyed your stay and our guest service. Thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you in a future visit. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Service was mixed, one receptionist very helpful, the others not so much. Room was ok but ours smelt pretty bad, the blinds and curtains didn't work and it was just a bit depressing. Communal spaces pretty poor. Location pretty good. Breakfast ok. Wouldn't stay again. On the plus side, it meant we spent more time outside the hostel exploring Boston, which is excellent!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glen C

Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. We are in the process of renovating to enhance the guest experience. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay, as we are always striving for excellence in service and the guest experience. It’s very disappointing that we did not meet our standards and your expectations. We hope that you will reconsider us in a future visit. If there is anything I can do to assist you please feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed in the hostel with my friend for 6 nights in June 2013. Both of us stayed in one room[2 single beds]we were from Nigeria to attend a conference the location of the hostel is perfect close to the venue of our conference the breakfast was also super, a lot of varieties. The staff were friendly and helpful.
My only bias is the common toilet and bathroom even though very neat and lack of amenities such as television and refrigerator.
Folasade Nigeria.

Room Tip: Most of ther rooms are ok.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Folasade O
40Berkeley, Front Office Manager at 40 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. Brings us delight to know you enjoyed your stay.We are in the process of renovation and will take some of your suggesstions into consideration. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you in a future visit. For special deals and offers or if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here to see the city. It was enough for us.
the hotel was good. Very small rooms, but clean and the shares facilities like bathroom were perfect. Very clean, warm water and quiet during the night.

We had a nice breakfast serves in the cellar (not the best quality though, but a lot to choose from) and we were very happy with the location of the hotel.

I had 3 packages shipped to this hotel before arrival (2 days before arrival) and they were delivered at the hotel without problems (i saw on my amazon-notification) but the women at reception claimed there were only 2 packages (the m ost important one was missing) and she was absolutely NOT helpful to look what could have happened.

The next day I asked again with another receptionist (she was very friendly) and she searched for us thoroughly. Still she couldn't find it, but she notised it was delivered, because they write everything down (very good!!!)

My eye was focussed on one large package on a higher shelf, and it turned out there wasn't any harm intended by anyone, and finally got my package. I was very happy and gave the receptionist a big pack of special cookies to enjoy with the staff, beacuse they had taken care of us so well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. Brings us delight to know you enjoyed your stay. Our apologies for any inconvenience with receiving your package but we are very happy we took good care of you. Thank you again for staying with us and see you in a future visit. For special deals and offers or if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com