“Instead of aircon you get bugs and terrible food”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #11 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Boston
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First time writing a review, never thought I ever would, but simply 40 Berkeley is that bad I feel I owe it to society to warn you. I'll start with the good- the little older receptionist was very pleasant and welcoming, the reception itself is modern and clean with a cute popcorn machine and movie room. The bad- no aircon in the rooms, they are so hot and humid, almost unbearable. The value for money is also terrible, box room, literally just a dorm bed and a creaky old wardrobe. They say breakfast is included, but what they don't warn you off is that it is basically prison food, standard breakfast slop, rubber eggs, bacon and sausages that could be used as a blunt object to harm someone they were that hard. I stayed for two nights and on both occasions I used the shared bathrooms there was ants and Beatles crawling around the showers and toilets. overall 1/10, I'll sleep rough before I stay here again but like I said if you like salted popcorn, wobbly pool tables and a movie room then reception is the place for you, I wouldnt let my dog sleep in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank cd4291
40Berkeley, Front Office Manager at 40 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback as we value all guest reviews. We are in the process of renovating and one of our goals is to have the room’s equipped with A/C. We do have ceiling fans and a desk fan in each room and available at our front desk are extra desk fans for your convenience. We have added industrial fans in the hallways on each floor to help with cooling down. It’s very disappointing that we did not meet your expectations and our standards. As we hope that our guests get to enjoy all that we offer and the sights of Boston. Our housekeeping staff cleans all common areas, including bathrooms and hallways throughout the day and our reception is open 24 hours, where we will gladly take care of any issues reported. We hope that you will give 40 Berkeley a chance in the future and If there is anything we can do to assist you please feel free to contact me directly at sbetty@40berkeley.com.
Sophia Betty
Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2013

There was no a/c nor any kind of air cooling in the bedroom. We just spent four days in a 7th floor bedroom and it was almost impossible to sleep. More than 90º F for sure even in the middle of the night! No one in the hostel seemed to pay attention on the matter!
The breakfast was included but so greasy that it is not healthy at all. The only good point is the location, close to the orange metro line.
So, this place could be a good option, especially if you intent to sleep elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nlq
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great location. WiFi. Wonderful socializing areas. Gorgeous garden patio. Great value for meal plan. Awesome breakfast included! Terrific discounts on different things to do in Boston. Super friendly and accomodating staff. Real international flavour! I'm definitely coming back!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The price is less than half of what you pay elsewhere and considering that, it's good value. The hot breakfast is included and the common areas are pretty good. BUT we were there in a heat wave and there is no aircon. The rooms are basic and some other features are missing from a hostel - common kitchen and fridges. Coffee and tea making is only available from about 8am to 5pm. Why??? The location doesn't have many bars and restaurants nearby but we had no trouble walking to Back Bay in about 10 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dianna C
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights during a 90+ degree heat wave. Even though our room didn't have Air conditioning, the receptionist, Paula, was very helpful and got us an extra fan. Rooms, hallways, and shared bathrooms were generally clean. Breakfast had a surprising amount of choices (eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, english muffins, hot/cold cereal, etc) but wasn't spectacular - we only went once. Because the location was so good, we ended up spending little time at the hostel anyway. Easy access to parking, back bay station, and there's even a 7-11 across the street.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I loved our 6 night stay at 40 Berkeley. The hotel/hostel is a previous YWCA located in a lovely area of Boston called South End. It's just a 5min walk from Back Bay station which was great for us as we were travelling via Amtrak.

We fell in love with Boston which was made all the easier by our experience with 40 Berkeley, located in the heart of the city. Nestled amongst traditional red brick buildings, the hostel is approx 7 stories and houses a garden patio, vending machines, a movie room, pool tables, a big laundry room amongst the bedrooms and bathrooms. We were staying in a private double room with a shared bathroom and the facilities were basic but more than accommodated us. The only issue that I had was the lack of air conditioning in the room, meaning that the room was very humid during our stay. However, we asked for a fan at the reception and we were given one straight away!

Every person we encountered at the front desk was brilliant. They were always happy and very helpful, including their advice for places to visit around the city and prices relating. Kudos for that!

Breakfast is quite a basic buffet style but there was plenty to keep you happy - eggs, bacon, sausages, hash browns, pancakes, toast, cereal and so on. The dining room is clinical looking but at least you know it's clean!

The bathrooms are always a vital stranglehold for me whenever I stay somewhere so I was initially hesitant about the shower stalls etc but, actually, the facilities were brilliant. The showers were always very clean and hot and I never had to wait!!

Our particular highlights at 40 Berkeley were the free popcorn available in the afternoon, a free but huge BBQ on our first day and the relaxed nature of the hostel. It is these little details that make the price all the more worthwhile!

Perhaps my only criticisms would be the air con issue and the very slow elevators but they really are minor concerns in the grand scheme of things. I wanted to give the place a 4.5 but couldn't so this is the truest reflection.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed in Boston over night here and we where very disappointed. We had booked through hostel.com a double bed room with an ensuite and when we arrived we had a room with two single beds and a communal bath room! When we went and spoke to the people at the front desk they informed us that they have over booked and because we where only there for one night they moved us. They never offered a refund, or and compensation. Don't think that I will be going back again!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple