40 Berkeley
$278
$238
InterContinental
  • Restaurant
Boston Marriott Copley Place(Boston)(Great Value!)
$291
$260
$311
$280
  • Pool
Omni Parker House(Boston)(Great Value!)
$199
  • Room Service
Kimpton Onyx Hotel(Boston)(Great Value!)
$226
Westin.com
$297
$299
1,268 results
All reviewsrooms are basicback bay stationfree wifiprivate bathroomplace to sleeplocation is greatsouth endfew blocksvisiting bostont stationcopley squaredeskdormsinksdressersubwayearplugs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I loved our 6 night stay at 40 Berkeley. The hotel/hostel is a previous YWCA located in a lovely area of Boston called South End. It's just a 5min walk from Back Bay station which was great for us as we were travelling via Amtrak.

We fell in love with Boston which was made all the easier by our experience with 40 Berkeley, located in the heart of the city. Nestled amongst traditional red brick buildings, the hostel is approx 7 stories and houses a garden patio, vending machines, a movie room, pool tables, a big laundry room amongst the bedrooms and bathrooms. We were staying in a private double room with a shared bathroom and the facilities were basic but more than accommodated us. The only issue that I had was the lack of air conditioning in the room, meaning that the room was very humid during our stay. However, we asked for a fan at the reception and we were given one straight away!

Every person we encountered at the front desk was brilliant. They were always happy and very helpful, including their advice for places to visit around the city and prices relating. Kudos for that!

Breakfast is quite a basic buffet style but there was plenty to keep you happy - eggs, bacon, sausages, hash browns, pancakes, toast, cereal and so on. The dining room is clinical looking but at least you know it's clean!

The bathrooms are always a vital stranglehold for me whenever I stay somewhere so I was initially hesitant about the shower stalls etc but, actually, the facilities were brilliant. The showers were always very clean and hot and I never had to wait!!

Our particular highlights at 40 Berkeley were the free popcorn available in the afternoon, a free but huge BBQ on our first day and the relaxed nature of the hostel. It is these little details that make the price all the more worthwhile!

Perhaps my only criticisms would be the air con issue and the very slow elevators but they really are minor concerns in the grand scheme of things. I wanted to give the place a 4.5 but couldn't so this is the truest reflection.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed in Boston over night here and we where very disappointed. We had booked through hostel.com a double bed room with an ensuite and when we arrived we had a room with two single beds and a communal bath room! When we went and spoke to the people at the front desk they informed us that they have over booked and because we where only there for one night they moved us. They never offered a refund, or and compensation. Don't think that I will be going back again!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The hostel is clean and the breakfast was very good! very gennerous with differents options.
The beds are not so confortable and the rooms are little.
Te staff help me when I ask about something and they are friendly too. One of the girls of the staff speak spanish and that was usefull for me.

... Boston is a wonderful place tu visit.....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Clean hostel, comfortable room, and shared bathroom not so clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. Good location. There was no air conditioner but I wasn´t expected to spend all day inside the room so it was nice at night

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

All in all I appreciated my 4 day stay, from June 21st to 25th with my boyfriend.
Unfortunately, it was a very hot and humid weather when we went, and there is no A/C in the rooms. They are small, and the air circulation is not very good, so the room was very uncomfortable. Also, the room we had was near the street, and it was extremely noisy the whole night, people outside yelling, engines roaring, sirens, and the noise kept waking us up, and since it was so hot and humid, we had difficulty falling asleep over and over again. By the middle of the second night, my boyfriend was ready to call it quits and go back home. We went to talk to the people at the desk who were very helpful, and for the other two nights we had a different room that was in the back, further from the street noise, and with a little bit more of an air circulation, so we could sleep better. We were very appreciative of the courtesy and helpfulness of the staff.
The rooms are clean, with minimal furniture.
The breakfast is generous with a good selection of hearty foods.
The location of the hotel is good, but if you arrive in a car, you will find it a bit arduous to find a place to just drop off the luggage, there is no drop off, and everywhere it is forbidden to park, so you have to hurry.
I would recommend the hotel, but not in the summer because of the lacking of A/C.
We were there as tourists, and to take pictures. It’s not a romantic spot, and I wouldn’t recommend it for families, the rooms being small, and the bathrooms being shared.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room, it can be very noisy at night. Don't go during the summer months if you have difficulty tolerating heat since there is no A/C.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple