40 Berkeley
Boston Marriott Copley Place(Boston)(Great Value!)
$231
$215
$333
$315
InterContinental
  • Restaurant
Omni Parker House(Boston)(Great Value!)
$199
$385
$357
Fairmont.com
  • Room Service
Sheraton Boston Hotel(Boston)(Great Value!)
$229
$237
$197
Travelocity
1,268 results
All reviewsrooms are basicback bay stationfree wifiprivate bathroomplace to sleeplocation is greatsouth endfew blocksvisiting bostont stationcopley squaredeskdormsinksdressersubwayearplugs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have never rated a hotel, but this place was so unique I felt it deserved special attention.

We were nervous about what we would find when we arrived at 40 Berkeley, but tried to credit the positive reviews we had read. I was especially concerned because my extremely picky mother was along and I know how difficult it is to please her. She ended our stay saying, "I'd come back here any time!" I most certainly would as well.

As we approached the building and entered the lobby we found that the pictures on the website are accurate, though in real life the whole place looks more dingy and run-down than the photos indicate. It's a 50's-era building, and it reflects that. The neighborhood seemed quiet and safe. There was easy cab access, and walking to the nearest "T" was about 3-4 blocks (.5 mi)--up Berekley to Boylston, right one block to the Arlington Station.

We stayed in a "double deluxe" room. This is a room with two double beds and a private bath. The rooms was basic, but actually had amenities we didn't expect: a flat-screen TV and shampoo/conditioner/soap. There was a closet with two hangars, and each person got one bath towel--no hand towel or wash cloth. (If you want a fresh towel, you must bring your old one to the desk to exchange it.) The sheets were clean, and there was a light blanket topped with a thin coverlet and three pillows--bonus! There was a central ceiling fan/light (no bedside light). The room also contained a single tall chest of drawers--no other furniture except the beds, which we thought were comfortable. We had two windows overlooking a back courtyard and it was very quiet. The windows were covered with vintage 50's wide-aluminum blinds. It was cool while we were there and slept comfortably with the windows open and fan on. Beside each bed was a two-plug outlet. The floor is institutional-type tile squares.

The bathroom was spacious and handicapped accessible, with a tall, automatic-flush toilet, tall sink, and walk-in tub/shower. There were several grab bars and a towel rack. We also made use of the community bathrooms down the hall. There were 3-4 toilet stalls, a bathtub stall, and two shower stalls. There were four sinks with a long mirror and small vanity shelf over each, and one full length mirror off to the side. There was also another small mirror near a 4-plug outlet. Otherwise, no plug-ins were noted. The bathroom never seemed very busy or crowded.

The dining room is in the lower level (below the lobby). It is a large, airy room, that seemed to easily accommodate all the diners. Both here and in the lobby it is evident that the clientele of 40 Berkeley is unusual--very international, and spanning a wide range of ages. We were aware of Asian, European and Latino guests. There are also a few permanent residents of the building. The food was not gourmet, but hearty and ample. There was a good range of food choices, as well as many drink choices. Food is served cafeteria-style.

One thing that surpassed our expectations and deserves notice was the service. Each person that we found at the front desk (four or five different people over the course of our 3-day stay) was exceptionally courteous, friendly, and helpful. We were made to feel very welcome (even fresh baked cookies as we arrived) and our party remarked on the desk staff each time we dealt with them. It was a pleasure to find this attitude here at a "lower quality" place--a type of genuinely friendly service rarely ever found at "better" hotels. The staff and management are to be commended.

I think that it would be impossible to find any place half this nice anywhere near this location for close to the price we paid. (Check out the Chandler Inn just across the street for comparison.) If you can live with the basics and aren't bothered by "old", you won't find a more perfect and affordable place to stay while you are in Boston.

Room Tip: The back side of the building is quieter than the front.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robin S
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is highly recommended especially if you dont plan to spend a lot of money. My wife and I reserved a private room, but we need to share the bathroom with other rooms in the floor. They treated us very kindly and give us different services like breakfast, pop corn, pool tables, etc. The location is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Urielusb
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure where all the positive reviews are coming from... I haven't seen any happy face at this place. As somebody already mentioned, it does look like a hospital or a home for the elderly who don't have any relatives. I'm sure that in fact it was something like this before. And you can still see quite a few elderly who look like they are living there permanently... It is a very sad picture.
Rooms: small, smell, noisy and very poor. The beds are terrible. They are very small and have poor linens and blankets. The towel that comes with them is also pretty scary.
The showers (2 per floor) are relatively clean, although in several days I haven't seen anybody cleaning them.
The staff is not very nice. And the breakfast is simply awful. On the first day I couldn't eat a thing. Milk is diluted, eggs don't have a taste, oranges are spoilt, etc.
The only good thing about this place is its location but I'd give it up for better conditions next time I am in Boston.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank amishka
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I slept at 40 Berkeley for 3 nights in April
We were travelling through USA and I have to say, this is the best place we slept at! It was really cozy and clean and cheap! The staff was really nice and the breakfast was various, I was not used to this kind of food but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Our room was kind of small but it was great though, we didn't expect it to be bigger, we actually expected it to be smaller!
The showers were always available when I wanted to take a shower and they were very neat :-)
The location was great!
The place was really comfortable overall, the popcorn machine was a nice touch!
We could even "rent" a movie, we got our money back when we gave back the movie and the remote control :-)
There are some people that live there and we spoke to two ladies, they were really nice and we had a good chat, we were actually quite sad because they offered us to come with them downstairs to eat dinner and we said "Yes, possibly" and then we went away but later we discovered that the were asking us to come to dinner right away but we thought it would be later because we are not used to having dinner so early :-( We wanted to apologize to the ladies but we didn't find them again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MartaArdal
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The rooms are small & the restrooms are communal. It is clean & efficient. During the summer, you have no AC, only open windows & fans. I had a room on the street side. There is quite a bit of street noise every night, but Saturday was worse. Breakfast in the basement cafeteria was included. There is a lovely patio with trees, in which you may relax. At the front desk the personnel were all very nice with Sandra going above & beyond.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo