“Great place and great price”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #12 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Boston
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is my second time of visiting Boston and also the second time staying at 40 Berkeley. You can never find a cheaper place with such nice location, environment and service. The common place has lots of convenient facilities, coffee, popcorn, and movie room. And there is nice breakfast for free every morning. I would like to recommend this hotel to every traveler with limited budget but seeking for a nice place to stay.

1  Thank Boxin_Shi
There are newer reviews for 40 Berkeley

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The staff is very kind and nice, the helped us in everything they could. Our room was very comfortable and we didn't had any problems at all. Prices are great and the location was superb! Definitely coming back when visiting Boston again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The staff is very nice and friendly. The location is great and for the price you can't beat it. The best part is the breakfast (even though it only opens at 8am on the weekend). If you are on a tight budget and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a hotel room, this is a great option!

1  Thank kennytee
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We really enjoyed staying there. The staff at the reception was incredibly nice and helpful. They made phone calls for us and provided us with all the information we needed. The rooms were clean, but as we were there during Blizzard Nemo, they were rather cold. But the WiFi reception works very well even up to the 7th floor. The common room is awesome, also the small movie room and the rocking chairs were really cool! Our overall impression was absolutely positive!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steffanilla
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The staff at this hostel are awesome! Especially Paula Roderick and Isabel. They will do anything in their power to make your stay more comfortable. I stayed here during the blizzard in the beginning of February. The room was private and clean, it had a nice view, and more than I expected from a hostel. Not to mention it was a third to half the cost of hotels in the area. Its within walking distance to Bostons public transit system. I met some really cool guests staying here as well. There is plenty of comfy lounge space to relax on and socialize with other guests. I have never been treated so well by a hotel staff before. Definitely exceeded my expectations!

Room Tip: Private rooms are the way to go. You still have to share a bathroom but for the value this place is...
1  Thank Brandon D
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night. I must admit, I was completely naive about hotel prices in Boston -- they're appallingly high. I'm not that fussy about accommodations, as I spend more time out of the room than in it, but the noise level was really too high. Management tries to keep it quiet, including instructions on closing the room doors quietly. Evidently no one reads the brochure, though. It felt like being in a college dorm -- people coming in at 2:30, 3 a.m. after the bars have closed, talking loudly, and slamming their doors.

I also couldn't believe there was only one women's bathroom with one toilet, one shower, and one bathtub for an entire floor, but it seemed to work OK; I saw very few others on the floor and I guess the other women got up earlier in the morning than I!

Aside from that... The location in the South End near Back Bay is ideal for getting to downtown Boston, the Fenway, many colleges, the art museums, Symphony Hall, etc. It's a 5-minute walk to the Back Bay T station and a $7 cab ride to South Station, thus an easy commute to the airport via the Silver Line T.

Everyone working the desk was courteous and fast. Discounts on some local attractions were available; I saved $3 on the (outrageous) $25 admission to the Museum of Fine Arts. The public areas of the hostel on the main floor were lovely -- rocking chairs with a view of the outdoors, 2 spacious lounge areas, huge windows, free popcorn in the afternoon, and areas for viewing DVDs and brewing tea.

It's too bad the floors where guests are supposed to sleep aren't this nice. It was a deal-killer for me, and I won't return.

Room Tip: Maybe there's a floor quieter than the 3rd.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked it because of the price, went in mid December 2012.
It's basics, old furniture and building in general, but in good nick and very clean! Bathrooms are well looked after and gleaming (chrome soap dispensers were spotless despite their metallic reflective surface). Heating was well regulated, (apart from downstairs bathroom near reception, that one was boiling!)
Room had a chair and desk, and chest of draws, curtains only decorative, but that didn't bother me, one thing I wish I could do, was to roll up the blinds, as the view was fantastic, but alas, they were fixed in place.
Reception was welcoming & helpful, gave me map and cookies:) Also kept my suitcase on the last day as my flight was in the evening.
Loved free Starbucks in the lobby!
Breakfast was far better than most of pricy hotels I stayed before. Not just dry out of the pack, but freshly cooked! Good choice too. Had sausages, bacon, eggs, potatoes, fruit, yoghurt, OJ and coffee. Bliss!
Canteen is crowded, but I found a place no problem and it has nice view to the yard.
Also worth mentioning is the shop/cafe across the street, opened late, full of snacks, drinks, food, 100 types of hot coffee & tea, magazines, papers, postcards and every sweet imaginable:)
Bought nice chicken salad, V8 and some snacks for my dinner there.
Overall, liked the hostel and its location and will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo