“Great place to stay in Boston! Wonderful staff.”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #11 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Boston
Brevard, North Carolina
“Great place to stay in Boston! Wonderful staff.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The staff at this hostel are awesome! Especially Paula Roderick and Isabel. They will do anything in their power to make your stay more comfortable. I stayed here during the blizzard in the beginning of February. The room was private and clean, it had a nice view, and more than I expected from a hostel. Not to mention it was a third to half the cost of hotels in the area. Its within walking distance to Bostons public transit system. I met some really cool guests staying here as well. There is plenty of comfy lounge space to relax on and socialize with other guests. I have never been treated so well by a hotel staff before. Definitely exceeded my expectations!

Room Tip: Private rooms are the way to go. You still have to share a bathroom but for the value this place is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Brandon D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night. I must admit, I was completely naive about hotel prices in Boston -- they're appallingly high. I'm not that fussy about accommodations, as I spend more time out of the room than in it, but the noise level was really too high. Management tries to keep it quiet, including instructions on closing the room doors quietly. Evidently no one reads the brochure, though. It felt like being in a college dorm -- people coming in at 2:30, 3 a.m. after the bars have closed, talking loudly, and slamming their doors.

I also couldn't believe there was only one women's bathroom with one toilet, one shower, and one bathtub for an entire floor, but it seemed to work OK; I saw very few others on the floor and I guess the other women got up earlier in the morning than I!

Aside from that... The location in the South End near Back Bay is ideal for getting to downtown Boston, the Fenway, many colleges, the art museums, Symphony Hall, etc. It's a 5-minute walk to the Back Bay T station and a $7 cab ride to South Station, thus an easy commute to the airport via the Silver Line T.

Everyone working the desk was courteous and fast. Discounts on some local attractions were available; I saved $3 on the (outrageous) $25 admission to the Museum of Fine Arts. The public areas of the hostel on the main floor were lovely -- rocking chairs with a view of the outdoors, 2 spacious lounge areas, huge windows, free popcorn in the afternoon, and areas for viewing DVDs and brewing tea.

It's too bad the floors where guests are supposed to sleep aren't this nice. It was a deal-killer for me, and I won't return.

Room Tip: Maybe there's a floor quieter than the 3rd.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked it because of the price, went in mid December 2012.
It's basics, old furniture and building in general, but in good nick and very clean! Bathrooms are well looked after and gleaming (chrome soap dispensers were spotless despite their metallic reflective surface). Heating was well regulated, (apart from downstairs bathroom near reception, that one was boiling!)
Room had a chair and desk, and chest of draws, curtains only decorative, but that didn't bother me, one thing I wish I could do, was to roll up the blinds, as the view was fantastic, but alas, they were fixed in place.
Reception was welcoming & helpful, gave me map and cookies:) Also kept my suitcase on the last day as my flight was in the evening.
Loved free Starbucks in the lobby!
Breakfast was far better than most of pricy hotels I stayed before. Not just dry out of the pack, but freshly cooked! Good choice too. Had sausages, bacon, eggs, potatoes, fruit, yoghurt, OJ and coffee. Bliss!
Canteen is crowded, but I found a place no problem and it has nice view to the yard.
Also worth mentioning is the shop/cafe across the street, opened late, full of snacks, drinks, food, 100 types of hot coffee & tea, magazines, papers, postcards and every sweet imaginable:)
Bought nice chicken salad, V8 and some snacks for my dinner there.
Overall, liked the hostel and its location and will stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank I_am_She_Wolf
Montréal
Reviewed January 31, 2013

- Wi-Fi, lounge, movie theater and even popcorn, my favourite!

- Couches and hang out spots are fun!

- Easy location to walk to and from the city.

- Friendly front desk staff - They even helped us order pizza in!

- Towels provided and there are even iPads for use.

- We tried the double room as well as the studio.

- The double room is standard, beds are comfy and there is a desk provided. Was generally very clean although the floor was a little bit sticky. Showers are clean as well with hot water.

- The studio is just amazing bang for your buck if you're looking for more of a hotel feel. Nice living room, kitchen, room, etc. Only thing is : bring some equipement as there is only a bare minimum provided (no sharp knives, for example), but honestly, it was perfect for us and we didn't miss out on anything. Soaps, shampoos and other bath products are provided.

- There are many parking lots around there although parking is quite expensive in Boston.

- I had stayed here a while back when it was the YWCA and came back without actually knowing it was the same thing and was very pleased, what a great improvement!

-They are undergoing some renovation so I suspect it will only keep getting better and better!

I would definitely stay here again without hesitation!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JenniferDD
Philly
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am a well traveled 68 retired teacher. I live near Boston (NH), but I wanted a reasonably priced location to overnight while attending concerts or going to the museums. The 40 Berkeley filled the bill. It is very clean, spiffed up, and the staff are welcoming and professional. Sure the room is tiny, but the bed is comfortable and all that you would need for a short stay is there. The bathrooms are close by and also well cared for and clean. For many years I used hostels in Europe from Norway to Turkey. I would recommend the 40 Berkeley to anyone traveling on a budget.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank PhillyHiker
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My brother and I decided on a whim to visit Boston for the weekend, and needed a place to stay. I did a search on hostelworld.com and came across 40 Berkeley.... we booked a double room with two twin beds and shared bath. I didn't have an issue with the shared bath because I've stayed at many a hostel, around the world- some dingy some not.... so my expectations were low. Our bus into Boston didn't get in until 2AM and I was beat by the time we arrived at the hostel and was super frustrated after being scammed by some Haitian cab driver who charged $25 for a cab ride from South Station to 40 Berkeley (but thats a whole nother story).

Anyway, on arrival, the lady at the front desk was very warm and inviting, and happened to know my brother (he goes to college in Boston and used to live at 40 Berkeley when they had dorms). She had noticed how exhausted we both looked and made the check in process fly by...then she upgraded us to a double room with two double beds and ensuite bath! It was amazing!! For $30/person per night, we got a big clean room with a huge ensuite bath, walk in tub, clean towels and free breakfast in the mornings! We stayed for two nights, but I wished it was longer. The hostel was well kept, had free wifi in the rooms and free ipads in the lobby that you could use between 8AM-10PM if you didn't bring your own computer. It was in a very central location and getting around the city was a breeze! I will definitely recommend 40 Berkeley to anyone visiting Boston, the quaint little place was beyond my expectations. I plan to return to Boston when its warmer, and I already know where I'll be staying.

Thanks to the staff at 40 Berkeley as well, you wer all great!! :)

Muna

Room Tip: If you are two or more group of travellers, its worth a picking a room with ensuite bath.... it so m...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I arrived fro a business trip very late, tired stressed and cold, in the middle of a snow storm. The front desk staff took great care of me, helped me get oriented and make sure I was comfortable. It's a hostel, so it's not upscale, but doesn't need to be. I needed a safe. clean cheap place to sleep, and I got one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business