“Poor place with rude staff”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #11 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Boston
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was really desapointing and even the photos showed in their website are very old. The front desk staff was really the worse experience in Boston. Rooms quite simple. The vending machine - the only one in the place was broken and stayed like tthat for 3 days -.Breakfast was OK, but everythng was very greasy. The only good thing about this property is that it is located near the Back Bay center and subway. I only recommend this place if you are low in budget. Otherwise there are other better options.

Room Tip: There is a suite room that is worth on the 7th floor. It's a bit expensive, but its convenient f...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Edward D, Manager at 40 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Hi Marcelo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and thoughts about us. I would like to apologize for the experience you had here, it sounds very out of the ordinary. We pride ourselves in providing a welcoming environment to everyone. I'm very sorry that this was not in line with what you experienced, and hope that you are willing to give us a second chance on your next Boston visit.

Cheers
Edward

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I started going to 40 Berkely almost 10 years ago ,when it was YWCA
it is much better now, cleaner ,brighter much more happier ...spent 8 nights and
the best breakfasts for an hostel or hotelis very good single room $ 80. a night and $ 84 for week end cannot find better for the price and the situation

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank clo212
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had stayed at 40 Berkely before and was happy to find a room for our weekend trip to Boston. It's so conveniently located a few blocks from the T (Back Bay Station) and in a really nice neighborhood. The front desk is very knowledgeable and assists in any questions or inquiries you might have. The only wish I have is that the furniture gets replaced soon, it is really outdated. And the hallways could use fresh paint as well. Overall, this is a great place to experience Boston for an affordable price, unlike the majority of the accommodations in Boston!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

After being treated badly in HI Boston (see the review for details) it was good to experience nice and friendly customer service at 40 Berkeley. This hostel is in a nice area, a good pub nearby, 7-Eleven maybe a block away, a few minutes to the subway station, a great area to have a little evening walk and see beautiful buildings.

The hostel has a huge common area and it's nice to spend time there - even I liked it even though I don't usually enjoy the common areas. The breakfast is the best hostel breakfast I have had with watermelon etc. and the room was good enough - you need to remember you are in a hostel! The wifi worked well, too. The only things why we don't give five points are the showers (low water pressure, first cold then hot) and the fact that two elevators aren't enough for this size hostel.

If going to Boston again, this is easily our choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I spent 4 nights in 40 Berkeley in September 2012. I picked it for location and cost. At about $100 per night for a twin room in the Back Bay area of Boston, it seemed like a good pretty good price for a really good location. The location is 40 Berkeley's best feature. It's 4 blocks from Copley Square and it's $300/night hotels. You can walk to Boston Common in 10 - 15 minutes OR to the Museum of Fine Arts in less than 30 minutes. The historic, tree-lined residential streets of brick row houses provide all the charm you could want.

And, $100 per night for a twin room is pretty cheap. Breakfast included by the way.

Ultimately, though, the negatives outweighed the location and affordability for me. 40 Berkeley is LITERALLY a college dorm building circa 1960. The rooms have one built-in desk and one built-in closet (so I am assuming they were single rooms when built). The floors all have that 50's hard linoleum tile commonly found in old office buildings. The shared bathrooms are one large men's room and one large women's for the entire floor. (In the men's, three showers, three stalls, 2 urinals, three sinks.) And, the included breakfast is served in the college cafeteria on lower level.....steel steam trays with college-eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes and of course some fruit and cereals.

If I sound a little bit nostalgic about how similar 40 Berkeley was to my early 80s college dorm life, it's probably because I was mildly entertained by the similarities. I was also vividly reminded of how much dorm life and dorm food sucked. And, just like my college dorm, the bathrooms appeared to be cleaned once a day.....so by the time night rolls around, they can be pretty littered.

Three more points to make:
1 - 40 Berkeley is pretty danged big. It's 6 or 7 floors....maybe 50 rooms per floor. So, there are a lot of people there. The number of international travelers there is really noticeable.
2 -- It seemed to me and my traveling companion had a permanent resident population. Women who are probably in a public housing program. That wasn't an issue for us, but clearly everyone there was not a traveler.
3 - Some of the other amenities (the TV/movie theater, the first floor lounge areas, the free coffee and pop corn, the courtyard) were pluses.

I am typically an "all I need is a bed in a room" traveler. However, if I were to go back to Boston, I would look for a different "bed in a room" option.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent 6 nights in this hotel in Boston. The location is good, just a 5 minute walk from Back Bay station (on Amtrak and T) and in a nice part of town. We stayed in a basic twin room and it was fairly basic. The beds in particular were not very good and felt like we were sleeping on camp beds. It was clean enough and had a desk and closet area to store things, but felt a little cheap. That said, it is the basic twin and I gather that some of the other rooms are better (I can only review the one we had). For the price it didn't feel like desperately good value but then everywhere in Boston is expensive. The hotel itself has a good lobby/lounge area with nice sofas and was light and airy. Wifi throughout the building is always good, but it was a bit unreliable at times, but that seems quite common from a lot of the places I've stayed. Breakfast is included and is quite plentiful with eggs, bacon, sausages, hash browns, potatoes, toast, cereal and oatmeal. Plenty of drinks to choose from as well including tea, coffee, milk, orange, apple, cranberry. They offer an evening dinner which is reasonable price and you get quite a lot for your money. We used shared bathrooms and they were cleaned regularly and were good enough with hot showers. My overall opinion is that if you book a nicer room then you will enjoy your stay more.

Room Tip: We had the basic room and it wasn't up to much. Select something that doesn't say basic, or...
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist when we got to the hostel, which was welcomed at the late hour we arrived. The room we stayed in had a comfortable double bed, a nice view and was clean enough. The breakfast was very good and varied. The Wi-fi was good in the public areas (it did drop out once, but the staff were quick to fix it). The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. We would recommend this hostel for all those on a budget in this beautiful city.

Room Tip: You do get a good view from the top floor!