“Nice Experience!”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #12 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Boston
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautiful place, great for students to tour the day. perfect facilities, clean bathroom, comfortable beds, very friendly staff people, including breakfast, free coffee! pool tables. Tv room,

Jim knows ...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for 40 Berkeley

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Close to Back Bay Amtrak Station (5 minute walk) this hostel is within walking distance to Downtown Boston (15 minute walk). Rooms are basic, but clean and exactly what you would expect for what you pay. Facilities around the hostel were excellent, such as vending machines, internet computers (there is also wi-fi), laundry, luggage lockers, and my favourite the rocking chairs! I would recommend this place if you are looking for a reasonably priced stay in Boston.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was our first time in a hostel. Economical way to stay compared to hotel prices. Easy walk from Back Bay station making the stay convenient since I arrived via Amtrak. Truly is a 5 mins. walk. The ability to leave baggage before and after check in helpful. Great location, easy walk to Newbury Street/Copley Square. Walked downtown to harbor, walked to Charles River. Excellent choice to stay if you don't plan on staying in your room while in Boston and who would, so much to do and see. I paid approx. $250.00 for two nights stay with private full size bed and shared bathroom. Full breakfast included! Bed was comfortable and clean. This is not luxury it's a clean place to lay your head after spending your day out and about the great city of Boston. Looks like shown on line. Staff very nice, didn't access their knowledge about city, my son was my private tour guide.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CTJanel
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is one of the cheapest places I could find to stay near downtown Boston, easily accessible from at least 2 subway stations, the hostel is near the theatre district (5 min walk) and downtown Boston (20 min walk). The place is clean and safe. Do not expect any kind of luxury here, the furniture is old and plain basic. If you are on a budget and plan to just stay the night this is the place for you. Yes you have to share the showers and bathrooms. Internet was down when I checked in but later on it came back and it was working without a hitch through out the hostel, even at the restaurant. Breakfast caught me by off guard (in a good way) I mean, eggs, bacon, sausages, fruit, juices, coffee, assorted breads, cereal you name it and ALL included in the price... WOW! Paula at the front desk.. she was FANTASTIC, I hope the managers will notice her.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NessyBear
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was BY FAR the cheapest place to stay close to downtown Boston (by about $250 per night!). They advertise having wi-fi but, just as many other posts said, the service was virtually non-existent. Do NOT plan on having internet service there. Our room was mostly clean and they have some amenities you might like.

If you plan on doing a lot of touring around and not spending time at the hostel this is the place to go on a budget. I would stay there again....unless I made more money - ha!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My daughter & I stayed for 3 nights in July (2010). Even though pricey for a hostel, it saved us money compared to other places, was pretty convenient to the metro and not a bad neighborhood. The breakfast was very good for a hostel, well stocked & the servers were helpful. However, it was horribly hot when we were there and it hadn't been made clear to us that the place had NO AC in the rooms! Needless to say, we didn't get any good sleep. The beds were OK by hostel standards, but not very comfortable & coupled with stifling heat made our nights miserable. We paid a deposit to get a small fan to put in the window - but it sure didn't help much. The hallways were cooler, but felt it would've been dangerous to sleep with our door open. It was also noisier with the window open. On check-out, it was nice that we could leave our bags at the desk while we went sight-seeing before our evening flight.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Considering this was the first time I had ever stayed in a hostel, I was pleasantly surprised at the service at 40 Berkeley. For roughly $115 a night, it can't be beat.

Of course, if you don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom then 40 Berkeley is not for you. I didn't think I would like that idea either, but it wasn't so bad. WiFi access was spotty, and, yes, the elevator is slow. However, there are stairs.

What I liked most was the *free* breakfast. These guys ain't serving up a continental breakfast; I'm talking pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, hash browns, cereal, OJ, etc. Try getting that at a Motel 6.

Another thing I liked about 40 Berkeley was the people. They get lots of visitors from Europe, in addition to the residents already there. I enjoyed chatting with some of the residents and travelers.

Yep, the rooms are small, too, but who goes to Boston to stay in their room all day? 40 Berkeley is a great place to get a hot breakfast and put your head down for a night's rest.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple