“Not recommended”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 40 Berkeley

Ranked #11 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Boston
“Not recommended”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Positives: Hostel is in a gorgeous location. Good facilities nearby, subway is only 5 minutes walk. Lots of discounted tickets and info available at the front desk. Check in staff were polite and helpful. Common areas are large, a big lounge room, pool tables, tv area, good laundry facilities, computer area etc. Our room on the seventh floor was big and a very comfortable bed. Ceiling fan was perfect, did not need air con this time of year.

Negatives: bathrooms were below average. Two tiny shower cubicles per gender per floor. These showers were old and broken, ie when you turned them off they still leaked and lightly spat water out in every direction while you are trying to get changed in the tiny space adjacent to the shower. I don't believe these were cleaned the entire time I stayed (5 night) - the same broken orange scrunchy was on the shower floor each day, hair on the shower walls and floors. Our room also wasn't cleaned at all the whole stay. Same linen, same towels, bin wasn't emptied etc. This wasn't a huge deal as we are pretty clean anyway. The breakfast, which comes with the room rate, was okay food but the cleanliness of the dining hall was not good. Food scraps everywhere, food on the floor, tables not wiped after use - so if you get there towards the end of serving time, you have to sit at a dirty table and deal with the mess.

Overall, I probably wouldnt recommend it. Hygiene is a big deal I think and while excellent in other areas, 40 Berkeley was not up to scratch.

• Stayed October 2011
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback. We're so thrilled that you enjoyed our location and ticket discounts as much as we do!

I'm very sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with some of our amenities. Did you end up having to wait a long time for a shower? Some floors have more showers than others, however we do allocate occupancies based on the number of showers per floor to ensure that there is not a wait in the bathroom for guests. Thanks to feedback like yours, we are in the process of replacing shower heads, toilet seats, and other bathroom features that require updating. We do take cleanliness very seriously, and it is surprising that the bathroom appeared to go unserviced for more than 12 hours. Our housekeeping staff ensure that each bathroom is cleaned at least twice a day.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to clarify our housekeeping policy for guests' rooms. When you checked in, the front desk staff should have informed you that housekeeping is available upon request only. In order to respect your privacy, no one (including our staff) will enter your room without you requesting us to do so. You are also welcome to swap your old towel for a fresh one at any point during your stay free of charge at the front desk.

In terms of food service, we have noted your feedback, and are now taking steps to ensure that the dining room is cleaned throughout breakfast.

In addition to all of the changes and improvements noted above, we are constantly updating our facilities to ensure that our guests' stays are as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We hope that you choose to give us another chance on your next visit to Boston and see all of the upgrades we have made!

Thank you again for your feedback.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,
40 Berkeley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

The Hotel is very good value for the location.
It has the feel of a large student hall of residence, with lots of young foreign tourists - mostly French - staying there.
The rooms are minimal but clean (no carpets, pictures, bathrooms, nor a/c, but with lino, ceiling fans and a towel provided at check in)
There are large communal sitting room, outside bbq garden and microwaves for self catering, huge cooked breakfast, free coffee machine, plus a laundry - and the nighborhood has some great restaurants and bars

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Hello!

Thanks so much for reviewing 40 Berkeley! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our home and neighborhood as much as we do! At 40 Berkeley, we pride ourselves in making the comfort of our guests our top priority. Consequently, we are in the process of executing some major upgrades to our rooms. They will be more comfortable, more modern, and more fun! Be sure to stop by to see all of the exciting changes we have made on your next visit! We can't wait to see you again!

Best,
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

Was in Boston for a wedding and I stayed here for five nights last week. Location is fantastic and there is a nice cafe across the road for breakfast. Accommodation is sparse but fine while the showers in the communal washroom were not great (5th floor for management who may be reading this). No air conditioning is a bit of an issue and there is considerable noise from outside whcih wakes you up in the middle of the night.

Service I thought was especially poor. Often times I'd be standing there waiting to get someone's attention and the staff just continued to talk amongst themselves.

Overall I think its a kind of place for younger people but not really for tourists.If I had to do it again, I'd pay the extra cash to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Hello!

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay with 40 Berkeley. We're so glad you were able to enjoy our location as much as we do! Did you also know that we provide a free hot breakfast each morning for our guests?

Your feedback regarding the staff and the 5th floor bathroom is extremely helpful and much appreciated. Was there a particular issue with the bathroom that you would like us to look into? Our staff has inspected the bathroom to ensure that it is fully useable, clean, and up to our standards. We have also addressed the front desk issues you brought up, and can assure you that you will be met with nothing but helpful, smiling faces on your next visit.

At 40 Berkeley, we are constantly changing and improving so that we are able to offer our guests the best possible experience during their stay. We hope that you visit 40 Berkeley again to witness all the updates we have made! If I can be of any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at bschecker@maloneyproperties.com.

Best Wishes and Happy Travels,
40 Berkeley

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I arrived at the hostel in the afternoon and was quickly checked in. They have 2 (very slow) elevators, which is a plus, if you have a lot of luggage. The check-in time is 3 pm and check out is at 11 am.

I booked a single room. It's a big enough room, with a single bed, a dresser, a closet and a desk. There's a ceiling fan with a light and another light on the desk. As I arrived into the room I turned the fan light on and it wasn't working properly. I reported that problem to the front desk immediately. I left, 5 days later, and the bulb still hadn't been changed. The room smelled weird and the furniture is definitely old. There are no three-pin outlets in rooms, which meant that I couldn't charge my laptop inside the room. I had to either sit on the floor in the hallway and charge it, or stay in the lobby. Free internet is very slow and didn't work 2 days of my stay. There are no curtains in rooms.

Breakfast is included in the price. You can get cereal (cheap, sweet kinds - cheerios, froot loops, frosted flakes), make your own waffles, they have bacon, potatoes and ''scrambled eggs'' that I only ordered once and never again because they were that disgusting (I believe that they used the homogenized eggs you can buy pre-packed). Coffee, tea, milk, water, juices and soda are also available. So is hot chocolate, but in my 5 days of staying there I only got hot water out of that machine. You can only take two slices of bread. There are yogurts available, but you have to ask for them. You can also get fruit, which is usually oranges, apples, bananas or pears. After seeing what breakfast looks like, I decided not to try eating dinner (10$) at the hostel.

There are two bathrooms on every floor, each has one toilet, one shower, one bathtub and two sinks. That's two showers for 30 rooms. The bathrooms were clean most of the time and there's always hot water.

A microwave is available, so are two vending machines and free popcorn every evening. Breakfast is from 7 to 9 am and dinner is from 5 to 7 pm (costs 10 USD). There are washing machines and dryers available. So are irons. There are no lockers in rooms, but they have some kind of lockers in the lobby.

The lobby is spacious, has a few comfortable couches and some nice modern chairs. They offer free luggage storage before check in or after check out.

They have a lot of weird people living at the hostel. It's more like a residence for old, sick people and students. I agree with many people who reviewed this hostel before me, those guests look a lot like mentally ill people. They come to breakfast in slippers and PJs, which is not even allowed. They make the atmosphere at the hostel very strange and unpleasant. The students can be very loud at times, especially at night. One night, I even heard a gunshot-like sound and screaming after it, and that was at 1 am. Sometimes I was even afraid of going to the bathroom, because I'm a female solo traveler.

Considering I paid 70$ a night, I wasn't satisfied at all. Breakfast was bad, no lockers, no housekeeping, two showers for the whole floor and strange inhabitants. The pros: spacious rooms, elevators, free breakfast, luggage storage, washers and dryers, location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Hello Tanchyka,

Thank you for your feedback! Your comments are instrumental in our constant efforts to improve 40 Berkeley.

As you noted, 40 Berkeley is much more than just a hostel. It is a home for students, adults, and travelers from all walks of life. We pride ourselves in offering a warm, welcoming, and safe environment for all. Our central location and the various values we provide make it convenient for guests to walk to many of Boston’s attractions without emptying their wallets for expensive hotel rooms. Our price and value truly can’t be beat.

In addition to popcorn, which is now offered all day free of charge, breakfast (which we are changing and improving as a result of comments such as yours), laundry, and locker facilities you noted, we also offer several additional values at 40 Berkeley. We provide a free library, as well as exceptional discounts to many attractions in and around the city (such as the Museum of Science, New England Aquarium, Skywalk, and Harvard Museum of Natural History). There is always free Starbucks coffee available in our Adrenaline Café, right behind the pool tables. We plan and host a number of events and excursions for guests both at Berkeley and as optional trips, all for free or at drastically reduced costs to guests – see our Facebook page for more. Our beautiful, modern, common areas such as the lobby, living room, courtyard, mezzanine, TV room, and café areas provide our guests with ample space to enjoy their stay.

We apologize the lamp situation was not rectified immediately, and have revised procedures to ensure prompt response to any guest issue. As a result of your and others comments we now have electrical adapters for use in and around the hostel to resolve the issue you encountered charging your laptop in your room. During your stay, we had some issues with our internet provider which were promptly addressed. We guarantee the internet is running at full speed!

Thanks for the comments regarding the bathrooms – however, we wanted to point out that there are TWO bathrooms on each floor, so there are twice as many showers as you indicated – a ratio that is industry standard when applied to occupied rooms. But we’re not stopping there – we are in the process of improving the bathrooms and adding additional capacity.

Our short and long term goal is the comfort and satisfaction of our guests at 40 Berkeley, and we will continue to change and improve based both on comments like yours and our own planning. We pride ourselves in being a truly unique home that welcomes travelers and residents from all over the globe. Please come back and to witness how we continue to grow and improve!

Best Wishes and Happy Travels,
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

This place is just at right location, walk to T, back bay restaurants etc.
Front desk very helpful and courteous, Bath rooms were clean, good library, pool table and free continental breakfast in morning was great. They do good job on posting the main events going on in Boston. They also inhouse plan lot of activities and group events for guest during the week and over weekend. It is good to know and socialize with people from different parts of world. I like the Boston Harbour Sunset cruise event. Tickets were just for $10 with $5 snack & dring coupon included. One of the staff member came to escort the group all the way to Boston Harbour , that was nice/.. thank you.
If I am coming to Boston, I would comeback again at 40Berkeley.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Hello!

Thank you for your feedback. It's so great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are very excited about our new events program, and pride ourselves on being able to offer the best prices for fun things to do at the hostel and around Boston! We will definitely be having more events and excursions throughout the year, so hopefully you will have the opportunity to visit us again and enjoy our new activities!

If I can be of further assistance to you, please don't hesitate to contact me at bschecker@maloneyproperties.com.

Wishing you all the best and safe travels!

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Good location, good price, reasonable (double) rooms, clean bathrooms and a fantastic breakfast.
Some traffic noise in the morning.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Hello,

We are so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the kind words! We are currently undergoing some changes and updates that we think will make our guests' stay even more enjoyable than it is now. We hope you get the opportunity to come back and witness these changes for yourself!

Hope to see you soon. Happy travels!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

I would be very reluctant to recommend this hostel/ hotel/ residence for the elderly to anyone other than those traveling on a very tight budget. The rooms are perfectly adequate and clean but the rest of the place left a lot to be desired!

When myself and my partner checked in the lady at the desk was extremely unhelpful, she literally handed us the key, stated the room number an wandered off! We didn't find out that there was laundry facilities, group events or even breakfast until the third day of our stay!!

The breakfast is horrid, serving up vile unrecognisable meat and egg options. The bathrooms are also filthy.

Boston is a great city an I'm afraid that returning to the berkeley after a fun packed day is not something you want to have to do.

• Stayed August 2011
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear that our accommodations did not meet your expectations. At 40 Berkeley, we strive to ensure that every guest's stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I can assure you that we are in the process of making several changes and improvements that I think will help repair some of the issues you felt you experienced during your stay. I hope you are able to visit us again to witness all of these improvements. If there is anything I can do to be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at ------- and address your email to the attention of Bria.

Thank you for your candid feedback.