“Cheap!”

and up
Boston's North End and Waterfront Walking Tour
Ranked #75 of 413 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: During daylight hours on Fridays and Saturdays, the Haymarket on Hanover Street, near Boston's North End, is rich with culture and bargains. Visitors who stroll through the crowded alley can spend very little and come home with a full load of fresh fruit, vegetables and seafood sold by local vendors.
Reviewed February 7, 2014

The weekend fruit and food market really is to die for. The prices, without a doubt, are the lowest in New England. The crowds really come out for the weekend market, but it is worth it as the atmosphere is an enjoyable afternoon alone! I've been to a few farm-stands and markets in New England and the prices here, and selection, were by far the best I've seen!

1  Thank nycbookwriter
All reviews
"produce market"
in 8 reviews
"outdoor market"
in 4 reviews
"on fridays and saturdays"
"cheese shop"
"stalls"
in 4 reviews
"centuries"

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I assumed the rock bottom prices meant the food would go bad on the subway ride home. But I decided to take a chance as I didn't have much to lose - $1 for a pound of grapes, $1 for a crate of clementines, $1 for a pound of peapods, $1 for two pounds of string beans, and the most surprising of all - $4 for a pound of salmon! There were also good deals on sweet potatoes, squash and zuchinni. But alas, we got through almost all the food before it went bad (We got through 3/4 of the string beans before going on vacation). FYI, all the food that we did eat (with the exception of the sweet potatoes - we still have a couple) we ate in a week.
On Yelp, I read complaints about rude and dishonest vendors, but I did not experience either of these. Everyone was super friendly and patient. I can't be sure about the weights, but the bags of stringbeans and peapods were huge, so if they were cheating, it wasn't by much. It was still certainly a better value than the supermarket. Thus, I am planning to make this a weekly trip.

Some tips:
- Take your time finding ripe fruit. Not all of it was good and we made sure the crate of clementimes had as many good pieces as possible. We figured we'd still discard some, but we managed to eat them all within a week.
- Boil or cook what you can as soon as possible. We boiled the string beans and pea pods and I'm sure this got us some extra time. We baked the salmon that night and it was delicious. In addition, I froze the grapes - they lose a little flavor but will last virtually forever.
- Bring cash as credit cards are not going to be accepted by most/any of the vendors. I'm guessing they would appreciate small bills as well - :-)

1  Thank BoatsBootsBalloons
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We have been here several times go on Friday for fresh but inexpensive items and go during sat close you will get truck load of things for less than 10$ but beware of the quality on sat since most things will be out of leftovers

1  Thank Sagar D
Reviewed August 11, 2013

On our way for lunch my brother recommended we get off and check out a Boston speciality market - Haymarket (which was actually started over 2 centuries ago where hay was the main thing to sell). Fast forward into the 21st century this market is alive and kicking and so much fun.

The prices are sooooo low I couldn't believe I was looking at gorgeous fruits and veggies for a fraction of what you would pay in supermarkets.

Apparently the produce is what supermarkets can't sell during the week, but it looked fresh.

And it's much more than just produce. They have fresh seafood, cheeses, meats and even goat meat.

You can check out some amazing photos and more info on my blog.

1  Thank Travel_Experta