“Most Beautiful Museum”

Ranked #12 of 402 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A Venetian palace in the middle of Boston, Gardner's home is now a museum displaying her impressive, eclectic collection of European, American and Asian art, including sculpture, paintings, furniture, ceramics and textiles. Visitors can stroll or rest in a spectacular skylit courtyard filled with plants and flowers.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Of any museum I've ever visited, this one is my favorite. From the Italian lace in the windows to the art in every nook and cranny, you are wandering through this exotic mansion with a garden in its center. Best of all, the Museum cafe provided the absolute best meal we had in Boston, which is very high praise, considering that we dined at Clink, Fiore, Ruth Chris, Mooo, and Toscanos, all of which were superb.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This museum is intriguing and has a great collection, but the most interesting feature is the structure that showcases the pieces. I love the story behind this building and it was a quiet afternoon with my sister: a nice break from other crowded tourist attractions.

We also enjoyed a wonderful meal at the cafe, with great service and food.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I really enjoyed my visit at Isabella stewart gardner museum. The historical building is beautiful. The garden is a peaceful spot where I could imagine myself with a book, reading for hours. A peaceful oasis. The collection of arts and antiqeues is interersting and beautiful. I would like to get to know more about Isabella, she must have been a very interersting person.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have been to LOTS of art museums all over the world. This is probably my favorite of them all because it has a great collection, is housed in a building that is as much a work of art as that housed inside, and most importantly, you can see and appreciate everything in a couple hours. Bigger collections are exhausting and require either multiple visits to take it all in, or you are saturated and just go through the motions of seeing everything without being able to appreciate it. I was a bit disappointed at a couple of the room guards/attendants approach to my daughter. She is an impeccably behaved 11 year old and was treated with glaring, accusing eyes and offensive approach. In one room a guard rushed over to her and scolded her to back up and be careful when she simply removed a document cover labeled "remove to view" in an appropriate way. Other guards were kindly and helpful to her and didn't act in this paranoid manner. I think more training in this regard is in order. Other than that, I really love this museum and highly recommend it. The restaurant is AMAZING too. Its very affordable and the food is small portions but five star. I've uploaded a couple pictures.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Boston has many things to do, but if you're looking to spend a couple of hours wishing you could live like the uber wealthy, this is the place to go see. The museum is much as Isabella Steward Gardner kept it when she lived there, full of endless, priceless objects displayed in her own, unique way.