“worth the visit”

Ranked #36 of 392 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Designed in 1798 by renowned architect Charles Bulfinch, the historic building is dominated by a magnificent gold dome.
Madison, Wisconsin
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“worth the visit”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Visited this place right after Christmas (so lucky it was open as many other places are closed during the time). Be sure to follow the guided tour on the second floor! A professional guide will show you around the state house. The building itself was absolutely beautiful, with the extra ornaments during Christmas time. I'd say it's a lovely time to visit during the year! Oh plus I think one of the officials opened her office for visit during that time

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Tiffany X

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Take the Tour on this one”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Really enjoyed the history of this building. The front section of the building is the original State House, with its wooden columns. The "newer" (relatively speaking) building extends to the back.

The marble work is breath-taking, with different types throughout. We brought our kids, who were kept interested by the scale of the place; the changing styles of each room; and the "funny paintings" of old men (past Governors).

I'm usually not one to take tours, preferring to wonder throughout on my own. However, with something so unique to discuss about each section of the building, a tour is recommended so you can wrap you head around the history. The flag room was interesting: lots of history behind each one. The only disappointment was the original flags are no longer on display; as I understand they were deteriorating over time.

A great spot; great history. Worth checking this place out.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Batterie5
Fayetteville, Arkansas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“One of the most stunning State Houses in the country”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I can't say I have ever attended one of the public tours (though I have heard from many that they are worth doing). I did, however, intern here while I was in college and journeyed here for work many times thereafter.

The building is nothing short of a work of art and despite having gone there dozens of times, it never got old. If you're visiting Boston, I'd add this to the must-see list.

Visited May 2013
Avon, Ohio
887 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,655 helpful votes
“Open for Tours Weekdays Only”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Massachusetts State House is beautiful with its golden dome sitting on Beacon Street overlooking Boston Commons. I have visited many times in the distant past when I lived on the east coast and looked forward to my visit after many years when I had the opportunity to spend a long weekend in Boston. However, I was disappointed that the State House is closed on weekends and holidays and only opens during the week from 8:45 am to 5 pm with free 30-45 min guided tours from 10 am to 3:30 pm. Thinking that I could at least enjoy the wonderful architecture of the building sitting on the hill overlooking the Commons, I was disappointed again as the dome was wrapped in plastic undergoing some work. Fortunately, this work has now been completed.

Visited May 2013
Brisbane, Queensland
339 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Nice building, lacklustre tour”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The Massachusetts State House is a very nice building. There are a number of richly decorated halls, beautiful stained glass windows and grand legislative chambers but the tour which takes you to all of these places is not great, to say the least. My tour guide didn't seem to know that much about the building and offered very basic information that anyone with access to the internet or a guidebook would already know. She didn't even mention the theft of the Sacred Cod from the House chamber until the very end of the tour when a child on the tour asked something about if anyone had stolen a statue or something like that! Regardless of the guiding quality, the building is an impressive one and is still worth a visit. If one of the houses of the legislature is in session it is worth sitting in the galleries for a bit and taking it all in: I saw the State Senate pass a number of bills with only 3 people present during my visit!

Visited February 2014