“Nice cruise”

Ranked #2,040 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: South Boston
Neighborhood: South Boston
Reviewed June 11, 2008

I liked "The Yacht StarShip." We enjoyed good food and fantastic service. The weather was perfect for a cruise. We went around the typical Boston inner harbor sights. Departing from the Black Falcon, passing Castle Island, Deer Island and into the inner-harbor. We sailed by East Boston, Chelsea and Charlestown. We went by the North End, the Downtown Boston waterfront, Fan Pier and returned back to the Black Falcon on a 2 hour cruise. We were on the lunch cruise so it was a buffet not sit down. I cannot really compare it to the Odyssey since I have only been on the Odyssey for dinner, where you have entertainment and dancing. I have been on lunch cruises on the Spirit of Boston but the last time I was on the Spirit of Boston if was not affiliated with the Odyssey. Both the Odyssey and The Spirit of Boston provides entertainment. The StarShip doe not provide entertainment during their lunch cruise but they do provide it for dinner. The buffet lunch was actually very good. The prosciutto and ricotta stuffed chicken was delicious. The boat does not look so classy from the exterior but the interior is nicer. It is worth the $59.95 for TWO with the on going special. (Use source code -BGL or Source code B10 when booking to recieve the 2 for 1 discount). The buffet also included a salad, stuffed chicken, horseradish crusted salmon, mixed vegetables, rice and hand carved roast beef. After lunch, we walked around the ship and when we returned, we enjoyed sharing a slice of cheesecake and rocky road chocolate cake that was placed on our table.
The only thing I did not like about StarShip was the service charge.It stated on our original confirmation ticket as a suggestion of $6.00 per person yet when the bill came the $15.91 service charge was added on the bill . On the menu and on the confirmation slips both stated a 15-20% gratuity suggested on all onboard purchases.( You must prepay for the meal when booking - 2 persons with the discount totals $62.94 not a bad price) You pay an additional charge for beverages and any other purchases on board. We ordered one soda and two coffees which total $6.00 (we declined the $20.00 photo) but the gratuity was added by the ship and my final bill totaled $22.33 which $15.91 was for gratuity and $6.00 for the 3 beverages. I thought I would be able to give my own gratuity since the confirmation slip indicated gratuity is not included and a $6.00 per person was suggested but there was no place to dispute the gratuity on the receipt. It was a charged item then a tip line under it. I thought the service was fantastic and they deserved a great tip but I thought this tactic was poor. I hate hidden charges and I would have tipped them more but this tactic upset me and I only gave them what they charged as the gratuity. Other then the hidden charges, I thought the cruise was very nice. I do not know if they will stay in business with only 17 persons onboard (with a capacity of 600 passengers) on the Saturday afternoon that I cruised. I hope they do and I welcome the competition for the other cruise companies and the variety they bring to the city of Boston. The Yacht StarShip plans to sail in Boston from June to October then return back to Tampa for the winter. There is free validated parking at the EDIC parking garage located at 12 Drydock Ave. I think this location is an advantage for locals due to free parking but that would be disadvantage for tourist since it departs at Black Falcon Terminal. The boat is docked right next to the larger major cruise ships so maybe a few more tourist from the cruise ships might sail on it.

3  Thank Remay28