“Beautiful waterfront!”

Ranked #16 of 400 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This National Park consists of 34 small islands just off shore in Boston Harbor. The most popular, George's Island, is home to Fort Warren, a Civil War Landmark that housed Confederate prisoners. Visitors to the 12 islands open for exploration can camp, kayak, tour lighthouses, ride harbor ferries, hike and swim.
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I went for a walk on the waterfront and we enjoyed it very much! We will come back during summer time!

There are newer reviews for Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I went on the two location pass to Georges Is, and Castle is. The castle is quite interesting to see how some military and non military people lived there, At one point it was serving as a prison for Civil War prisoners from the South. You take little water taxi to the Georges Is and it is quite natural indeed, Not much there but walk on a few trails but it is beautiful. The water taxi is quite small and on a choppy seas day you will get quite a bit of sea spray. It you have never experianced that it is a little suprising how salty you become. But its the sea,,

1  Thank Timothy J
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I take my kids here every year, usually a couple times each summer. The boys love to run around the old fort structures and my daughter and I love to hunt for sea glass. For us its usually a two boat trip out as we like to go to the smaller islands where there is never a crowd. You can walk the whole way around the island and oftentimes never see another person. I've heard there is camping on the islands as well..can't wait for my little ones to get a bit bigger so we can try that out.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Have taken harbor cruises many times. The most fun was to
Provincetown. We always went in the fall. We often saw whales.
Had fun dancing to the band too. It's a great day trip.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We took the tour boat to George's Island and did a guided tour of Fort Warren. An interesting and informative tour.

Then we hopped on the boat and headed to Spectacle Island. There we ate, walked around then swam. Refreshing as it was a hot day.

Kids and adults had a great time. Well worth it.