“Great Weekend Activity”

Charles River Canoe & Kayak
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy an outing on one of the most scenic sections of urban river in the country. An experience on the Charles River from our Boston location in Allston/Brighton is a wonderful respite from the surrounding city, with parkland on both shores and rowers plying the waters. Head downstream and you'll encounter local colleges (Harvard, M.I.T., and B.U.) and eventually the Esplanade (a great picnic spot!) and the unforgettable Boston skyline.This nine-mile stretch of river has no current, allowing painless round trips. However, renters can also enjoy one-way trips to or from our Cambridge location in Kendall Square — a unique way to see the city!
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have gone kayaking twice on the Charles River using the Charles River Canoe and Kayak venues. This past weekend I went for the Fourth of July and was fantastic! For $10-15/person you could go out for an hour on the Charles! Depending on your level of experience of the heat during the day, that may be all you need. The kayaks were in good shape and the people on our trip took out the single and double kayaks. I highly recommend going to the drop off location in Kendall - this brings you directly out into the Charles in front of the Esplanade with AMAZING views of Boston along Storrow Drive. However for first timers or younger kayakers I would be ware that there are more boats, particularly sailboats, that you have to be wary of and mind the direction you are going as it is a little bit windier. If you want to go for a more quiet kayak ride, the drop off location in Allston is much quieter and narrower and not as much traffic.

All reviews
"lots of fun"
in 8 reviews
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our friends, my husband and I decided to go for an afternoon of kayaking on the Charles on Labor Day. We went to the Soldier's Field location as the Kendall location reported they were having a blue algae problem. The parking lots were quite full when we arrived, and our friends had some trouble finding a spot, but soon we were all together. The shack where you sign your waivers was a bit chaotic. It took a while to get to the front, and when you do, you were asked to step aside to sign everything, then wait in line again to turn in your forms.

Once on the river though everything was good. We all got 2-person kayaks and paddled West. We were on the river for just over an hour then went back. Turning in our items was just as chaotic if not worse then getting them. Think it was just a busy day though, we didn't experience these problems when we were at the Kendall location last summer.

1  Thank parker617
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went kayaking yesterday in the Charles with equipment rented from Charles River Canoe and Kayak. The process of getting the kayak was quick and easy. The equipment was good quality and the staff was helpful. There was a lot to choose from... kayaks for one or multiple people, standup paddle boards, canoes, etc... Safety equipment was more than adequate and you can rent a dry sack in case you tip. Only downside is the river itself has a foul odor... when it rains heavily I understand sewage runs off into the river... pretty gross so don't go for a swim!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We had a great time kayaking the Charles river in Boston. Charles River Canoe& Kayak had great equipment for an inexperienced paddler like myself. It was easy to paddle the river and great to see the city from another angle. I would highly recommend this activity.