“Wish I could spend an entire day!”

Museum of Fine Arts
Ranked #2 of 382 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Boston's oldest, largest and best-known art institution, the MFA houses one of the world's most comprehensive art collections and is renowned for its Impressionist paintings, Asian and Egyptian collections and early American art.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Wish I could spend an entire day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Love the Boston MFA! I've visited on two previous trips to Boston and I never have enough time to just wander. It's quite enjoyable and the exhibit on the Impressionists was especially wonderful. If you enjoy this sort of place, block out as much time as possible. We went on a Wednesday evening at 4:00 when entry is by "voluntary donation."

Visited March 2014

• Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful Museum and Collections”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I used to come here regularly as a child, but haven't been in years - I was so pleased with my visit last month!

I prefer sculpture and artifacts to paintings and drawings, so the large "ancient world" wings were where I spent most of my time. Their pieces from Egypt are wonderful, and beautifully laid out. I enjoy the dark rooms, and the displays of the pieces draw all of your attention to the piece itself.

It isn't too huge, so you're not overwhelmed. I would recommend two visits to be fully satisfied, but a well planned single visit could work quite well. The coat check is free, which is great for coats along with bags. There are several cafes with varying prices, so be sure to check your map!

I'm looking forward to keeping my eye on special exhibits and returning in the near future. Or just making a return visit with a sketch book!

1 Thank Native_Maine-ah
New Haven, Connecticut
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Excellent Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Just plain a lot of great art, a second rate museum just behind the Met-Louvre tier. Much above the Getty. Famous portraits of founding fathers, including the handsome John Hancock and the dwarf-like Adams brothers. Also, a lot of great French impressionist paintings, collected by Bostonians when the French thought impressionism was rubbish.

1 Thank Peter33851
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“One of the Best Art Museums I've Ever Visited”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have been to the Museum of Fine Arts many times over the years. Each time I fall more in love. The Museum boasts one of the finest collection of Old Kingdom Egyptian art in the world. Apart from the Egyptian section, my other person favorite is the museum's collection of Dutch Renaissance paintings. I especially love the Frans Hals portrait of a man and the tiny Rembrandt sell portrait. The new Art of the America's wing, which contains artwork from Copley and Sargent and silver from Paul Revere, is also well-worth the visit.

The building of the MFA is also worth seeing. The rotunda is beautiful and there are several Sargent murals. The courtyard is also a nice place to relax on a sunny day.

The museum's special exhibitions tend to get crowded so I would recommend visiting these exhibits on weekdays if at all possible. Also, on Wednesday nights the museum offers free drawing supplies for the public to use to sketch the artwork or clothed models.

The MFA is a must see for any art lover in the Boston area!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Colleen71690
Kingston, Canada
“Worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

very big collection. World class. A real cross section of work covering a variety of periods and movements throughout history.