“Great Art”

Ranked #2 of 403 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Boston's oldest, largest and best-known art institution, the MFA houses one of the world's most comprehensive art collections and is renowned for its Impressionist paintings, Asian and Egyptian collections and early American art.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The museum is great. The exhibits are great - the headsets are amazing. If you see the musical instrument exhibit a headset is a must. And the kids sketch pads are brilliant!

My only complaint is the cafeteria in the basement. I got a burger and fries, and both were cold. The cook replaced the fries in a moment, however it was going to take 10 minutes to make a fresh burger. I had my husband and daughter already eating their food. I was disappointed that the museum would serve cold hot food. The manager handled it great, and I was allowed to pick a premade tuna sandwich for free.

Can't wait to go again, but would bring my own lunch!

1  Thank weitzmansf
Write a ReviewReviews (6,968)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Yes, it's a lovely museum. Seems like there's a collection of something for everyone. I wish they had one spectacular acquisition, that makes you want to run to see that ONE, but alas, they do not. Then again, I've been to most museums around the world, so perhaps I'm not the best one to give raves to this museum.

1  Thank keith s
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I love this place! My husband and I spent two days here and we barely saw a fraction of what was available. We went specifically to see the Samurai exhibit and it was awesome! The Samurai armor were surprisingly ornate, detailed and highly individualized - definitely worth a trip. One of the exhibit's room had a continuous scroll several feet high that was easily 100 feet long depicting a battle scene. If you want a souvenir or two after going through the exhibit, make your purchase at the specialty store immediately after the exhibit - there are some very cool souvenirs available (for instance, the umbrella with a kitana shaped handle that has a strap so that you can wear the umbrella like a kitana). Personally, I enjoy European art (like the Impressionists) and American artist like Mary Cassat and John Singer Sargent. However, there is a great deal to see no matter what you enjoy including contemporary art and specialty exhibits (like jewelry and musical instruments). There are four places to grab a bite with a range of prices from high end to more moderately priced menu items. Outdoor seating is available if food is purchased from the garden cafeteria. Happily, the museum is air-conditioned so you can enjoy a visit even during the summertime. The best part is that you can come back another day for free (within 10 days) with the price of regular admission.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

It was Free Fun Friday! Yes, and it was crowded because it was a free day. But we got to see some amazing things.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We enjoyed the Museum of Fine Arts and variety of art they had. The museum was easy to navigate and easy to get to with a subway stop out front. If you go during a free admission weekend be prepared for a long line, but it moves quickly!