“Beautiful Musuem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 379 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Boston's oldest, largest and best-known art institution, the MFA houses one of the world's most comprehensive art collections and is renowned for its Impressionist paintings, Asian and Egyptian collections and early American art.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Woburn, Massachusetts
“Beautiful Musuem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I hadn't been in since the expansion. What a gorgeous museum, there is so much to look at that I could get lost for hours in here!

Visited January 2013

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was limited to time so I followed the suggest guide by the museum which I found to be extremely helpful

Visited November 2012
Portland, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“MFA needs to make a few staffing changes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have always loved the MFA. I grew up going there and continue to attend the facilities and share them with my loved ones. (My favorite piece is Gauguin's "Where Did We Come From?".) The museum is absolutely gorgeous and they offer free/by donation entrance after 4 on Wednesdays which is a blessing for college students and others who can't quite afford it. I am always impressed by how large the facility is and you really do need to either spend an entire day or even 2 days to take it all in. Many of the staff members are friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable. However, my one and only issue with the facility on my most recent visit was with a woman woman with red hair and glasses who was working at the ticket counter at the Fenway entrance on Wednesday 2/13. My husband and I chose to go to the museum on this day to celebrate my birthday. I had a bladder infection and arrived at the museum in urgent need of a restroom. I asked the woman if they were allowing entrance by donation yet or if they had a restroom nearby. She informed me that they were not and that there was no public restroom available. I expressed to her that it was an emergency. I was shocked to see the grimace spread across her face. In a caustic tone, she told me, "LIKE I SAID, there is no public restroom. I can give you a ticket if you want to try to ARGUE with the guards". I was humiliated and speechless. Not wanting to "argue with the guards", I let her know that I would try to hold it until 4:00. I stepped aside, trying not to wet my pants. My husband, worried for me, decided to talk to the guards. They immediately and pleasantly directed me to the restrooms. On the way back to the lobby, I stopped to thank them. They were all very pleasant and professional. We certainly didn't need to ARGUE with them; they understood my situation and didn't think twice about helping me. Thanks to those guards, I did not wet my pants in the lobby of the MFA on my birthday. The woman at the ticket counter, on the other hand, needs a lesson in human decency. She absolutely humiliated me to the point where I couldn't even look her in the eyes when I came back from the restroom to make my donation and get my tickets. I have never in my life denied a fellow human being help with finding a restroom when they expressed that they were having an emergency. That woman made me feel small, like a nuisance, and utterly humiliated. I lost some faith in humanity that day.

Visited February 2013
Troy, Michigan
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Some Surprises”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

The biggest surprises were the physical size of this place and its collections and the extent of creature comforts. Compared to many museums I have visited around the world this one had huge open spaces, cafes, bookstores and spacious reception/ticket areas.

It is rather expensive to visit here --$25 per adult ticket. Wednesdays after 4pm are free, but you will be strongly encouraged to make a donation. There are multi-museum deals, free holidays, etc. so check out the web-site.

Forget about trying to see everything on a single visit. There are extensive collections in almost every conceivable period and genre. Choose what you're interested in and see that and perhaps a few other rooms.

There were some minor disappointments. For example, a lot of the large American collection seemed uninteresting and the French impressionist collection, while representative, did not have much that was "striking" to me. Very interesting Asian collections.

Visited February 2013
Bergamo, Italia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good, but needs multiple visits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

The museum offers a huge selection from all five continents. Its vast American art section (largely, and understandably, northeastern-centric) was both the most fascinating and the less aesthetically pleasing for me. Along its long halls, the museum sports some excellent Reinassance paintings (there's even a Botticelli stranded in the middle of a somewhat anonymous corridor) and the French XIX century room is definitely impressive. Egyptian art is also interesting, for those inclined. The contemporary art, while rather large, section was a minor disappointment; but there's the Contemporary Art Institute for that. All in all, it's worth at least two visits (which are included in one $25 ticket): avoid the typical "museum rush" which will leave you exhausted and unsatistfied.

Visited January 2013