“Superb collections, magnificent building” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 379 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Boston's oldest, largest and best-known art institution, the MFA houses one of the world's most comprehensive art collections and is renowned for its Impressionist paintings, Asian and Egyptian collections and early American art.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Ottawa, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Superb collections, magnificent building”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I was in awe of many of the great artworks on display at the MFA in Boston. Wonderful paintings and sculptures, especially the Asian collections.

Visited June 2012

• Turkish first
Westminster, Colorado
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great museum. Need days to see it all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have been to this museum many times and that is really the only way I've been able to see it all. The new wing is beautiful and holds a collection from the Americas. I love the decorative arts area, the special exhibits and lots of other art hanging at this museum. Definitely needs lots of time to see the whole place. If you only have a day or afternoon, I recommend focusing on one wing or area.

Visited May 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great even with Kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

7 and 10 year old really enjoyed this (surprising I know).

Visited August 2011
Santa Monica, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“One of my Top 5 US Museums”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

I recently had cause to visit New England and I added two days to my trip just so that I would have time to visit the MFA. Prodded by my adult daughter, I've slowly evolved to the view that with a museum so large and so rich, at any one time one should focus on one or two sections and save other parts for another day.

On my most recent trip, I thus spent one day viewing the Impressionists and the John Singer Sargent collection. On the second, I spent time with the Renaissance painters and Antiquities---mainly Egyptian and Greek.

The MFA may not be the Met in NYC but it's collection is very fine. Sargent is a favorite painter of mine and I believe the MFA's holdings are unmatched. There are many key Impressionist works here as well and the Renaissance is well represented. My favorites include portraits by Holbein, Hals, and Van Dyck. But even focusing on an area or two at a time is like sampling a few dishes at an overwhelming buffet.

I suspect I've become a bit more discerning in looking at the antiquities. The specimens are exquisite but don't necessarily have a breadth of scope. E.g., a lot of the Egyptian exhibit is 5th Dyanasty and much of the Greek work is from around 500 BC; I would have really liked to have seen pieces from the Late Classical and early Hellenistic periods for contrast.

I suspect that the typical museum goer may not be nearly so picky as I am and in any event, the specimens really are very fine.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Trismegistus
Damariscotta
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just amazing. There is something for every one and for me it was the ancient historical stuff such as: Roman weapons, armor, coins, the ancient Egyptian statues, pillars, sarcophagus, and the Japanese katana. I recommend making this a day trip if you really want to take your time to look at things.

Visited July 2011