“History”

Ranked #25 of 398 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of downtown Boston, this bustling complex of novelty carts, distinctive shops, national chain stores, performers, food stands and restaurants brought new life to a historic meeting place.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

If you are into history you gotta go. The birth place of the revolution. Been there many times. Went between Christmas and New Year this time. Still crowded. Best time to go is summer though. Crowds are much bigger but so much more to see and experience. There is the museum and the rest is made up of three very large historic buildings filled with store and food inside and out. Street performer acts even in winter. Many tours available as well as a self guiding one with a red line in/on the pavement to keep you from getting lost. There is seating available inside and benches/steps to sit on outside. But beware. There are never enough places to sit. Some eateries are sit down and some are grab and go. So many different types of food there should be no problem finding something for everyone. The only problem is deciding which to choose. Just bring plenty of patience and be prepared for the crowds and it should be a fun time. Preplan so you can get there early. There are many parking garages. We paid $20 for the day in the garage right next to the market place.

There are newer reviews for Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Crowded, but a nice environment. You have a choice of food from almost all continents. Outside sitting areas with fresh air ,are better than inside. Must visit if you visit Boston.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I lived in Boston a couple of decades ago and wanted to hit some of the more familiar places that I spent time. I worked downtown and would eat lunch at the Hall at least once a week. Going back was a blast to my past. Lots of good food, great places to shop, and just a nice place to hang out for hour or so. We took pictures of the Cheers bar, ice sculptures, and other historical and nostalgic spots. It was good to be back if only for a visit.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was very disappointed when I finally reached this spot on the Freedom Trail. I did not take the 30-minute historical tour, and perhaps if I had it would have improved my perspective. I expected the interior of the building to have more space dedicated to educating about history rather than selling. But it's mostly a place to buy souvenirs--LOTS of souvenirs. There was a group of street performers there that afternoon, and a very large crowd gathered around viewing their...performance (which consisted mostly of stunts and acrobatics and publicly humiliating randomly selected members of the crowd. We rested on a bench out on the courtyard before continuing on the Freedom Trail, and a clearly mentally-deranged vagrant sat next to me and because very belligerent to the imaginary person with whom he's been conversing. We cut short our rest and moved on. Faneuil Hall was the only public place in Boston where I was really uncomfortable.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Any trip to Boston must include Faneuil Hall Marketplace but beware it is more of a tourist attraction than I expected. The buildings are historic and fun to see but there were many other areas in Boston where I'd rather spend my time. Walk through, take a picture or two and move on!