“Great Walking Tour of Early US History”

Boston Public Library
Ranked #6 of 400 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On the National Register of Historic Places, the library opened in 1852 as the first free, publicly-supported municipal library in America.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Put on your walking shoes and step thru early American history. Great way to visit the sites that are very important to Revolutionary America. Great thing is you can stop along the way and have a snack at any of the many fine establishments in Boston. It is a walk, so go slow and enjoy the day.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Probably the most amazing library we've seen, to date. It feels more like an art gallery - It was that beautiful ! Don't forget to see the courtyard ... Gorgeous place !!

1  Thank Jacqueline H
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Loved the doors and the courtyard. A couple was having wedding pictures taken in the courtyard. We didn't know there was a cafe or we would have had lunch there.

1  Thank Pauline G
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We ended up entering the "newer" part of the library closer to the prudential center and wandered around through a pleasant courtyard and eventually ended up in the original library that faces copley square. My understanding is that this was the oldest public library in the USA. The marble work and architecture is very cool and the murals were lovely. The grand reading room is very impressive. We did not take a formal tour but one of the security guards was pointing out things to us along the way. We spent 30 minutes or so here and it was very enjoyable!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was visiting Boston for just 2 days and both were days of rain.So, as I walked past the memorial for the Marathon runners and went beyond the Prudential mall building ,I very badly needed to take shelter .There was this magnificent building which stood right there.Entered with no interest in a library,but wanting shelter.Once I climbed up the steps from the road,one look into this building floored me.Amazing marble pillars, marble lion figurines, beautiful ceiling with inlaywork, broad marble windowsills and side parapets.As if in a trance, I started walking uo the steps inside the building also.No one will be disappointed .It is a treat to eyes and soul.I spent an hour inside and enjoyed thoroughly.I wish I had more time to spare.Do not miss it ,if you ever go to Boston.It is right in the middle and no effort is required to reach teh place