“Holocaust Memorial”

and up
Boston's North End and Waterfront Walking Tour
Ranked #11 of 400 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: The six glass towers of this striking memorial serve to represent the six million Jews who perished in the Holocaust, six main Nazi death camps and the candles on a menorah.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've been to Yad Vahem in Israel, along with its children's memorial with the lights representing the children whose lives were ended before they had a chance to shine, and the Holocaust Memorial in DC. Each place wretches my heart when I am confronted with the sheer horror that happened to the Jews and those who supported them.
This memorial is very different in its setting. As mentioned, it is on a busy commercial street. We came upon it as we were out walking. Maybe that is a good thing, as it reminded me that the murder of so many men, women, and children happened in the course of everyday life. That it eased into life without notice.
Each pillar gives one the opportunity to stop and reflect on the personal stories of the people. Funny, even though it is see through, I did not find myself distracted by what was going on on the outside. Maybe, again like that time, the people's lives went on as usual, while those in the camps were facing terrible atrocities.
Thought provoking.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband is Jewish and he enjoyed reading and liked the quotes from the survivors. At first we thought it was some type of warming stations from a distance, it was very cold. But, glad we walked over to learn more.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I visited Boston many years ago, and this memorial has stayed with me ever since. It was the first thing I wanted to show my wife when we visited recently. It is simple in design but so effectively evokes the scale of that dreadful time.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just stumbled upon it and it is awesome-the high glass towers with the numbers etched upon them-my teen daughter was also in awe-

Reviewed December 27, 2013

When this memorial was being built many years ago, the thought process for many was , what should this evoke in individuals? My parents were victims of the Holocaust so the design really hit home. I have been to the memorial in Berlin, DC and other cities but walking through the pillars in the winter makes the starkness and lonliness very real. If you want to understand how one feels totally helpless, make this a stop in your trip to Boston