“History comes to life”

Ranked #3 of 388 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The red line on the sidewalk leads you on this 2.5-mile, self-guided tour of American Revolution sites. It starts at the Boston Common, America's oldest public park, and ends at the famed Bunker Hill Monument.
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“History comes to life”
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

This is such a cool area. It is really neat how Boston blends the historical with the modern. As a patriotic person, I was overwhelmed to think of all that happened in the places I visited. Worth getting a tour guide for.

Visited November 2013

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Free trip to Freedom!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is a nice walk, but felt much further than it actually was!
I did it as a self-guided tour, along with my trusty guide book, which was absolutely fine. Plenty to see, lots of information available on the way round, but maybe I should have cut it short before crossing the bridge! However, I did like the navy yard, and taking the boat back to Boston is also fun.
I didn't go in to any of the places on the way round (I didn't have much time), so if you're going to do the whole thing you should probably leave a whole day, and plan for a couple of refreshment stops along the way.
The first section from Boston Common to Faneuil Hall was my favourite, so definitely do this bit even if you cut it short.

Visited October 2013
Smyrna, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Must Do!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

When you're still talking about a tour two months later, you know you got your money's worth. I remain fascinated by Boston, much due to this tour. It seems hokey to follow someone in costume around the city, but it wasn't. Our guide was amazing and so knowledgeable. We took the "main" tour without the North End extension, and it was fantastic. I can't wait to go back to Boston, and I think I'll have to so this tour again.

Visited October 2013
Reading
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“A good way to see a decent chunk of Boston”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

A nice walk to follow and a good way to see a decent chunk of Boston with no costs involved! Though if it is as cold as it was when we were there you’ll want to stop off a few times on the way – there are lots of nice looking bars in the North End but very little once you’ve crossed the bridge into Charlestown so probably best to stop before crossing the bridge. It starts on the common and ends at the Bunker Hill monument. We walked up this – there are 294 steps and no lift so be warned! It can get a bit crowded and the stairwell is fairly narrow so you need to be comfortable passing people on the stairs going both up and down.

Visited November 2013
Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Got my purse stolen”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Got my purse stolen on the Freedom Trail somewhere near Paul Revere house. Not much more to say about the Freedom Trail. Just be careful, apparently thieves are hanging out there.

Visited December 2013
7 Thank Frances B

Been to Freedom Trail? Share your experiences!