“Great afternoon activity”

Ranked #3 of 394 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The red line on the sidewalk leads you on this 2.5-mile, self-guided tour of American Revolution sites. It starts at the Boston Common, America's oldest public park, and ends at the famed Bunker Hill Monument.
Saint Louis, Missouri
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Great afternoon activity”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was in Boston on a weekend during a business trip and I decided I wanted to go into the city. The friendly DEs on trip advisor recommended the freedom trail. It was a great suggestion. I started at Boston Commons at 10:00 and made my way along the entire trail over the course of 6 hours (including stopping for lunch and dinner and doing two tours).
I was told not to pay for the guided tour and I would tell anyone that can read to also follow this advice. I much preferred doing it on my own schedule so that I could spend time looking at what I wanted to see. I stood near a couple of the tour guides in the graveyards and they really didnt say anything that wasnt written on the plaquards that are literally everywhere, so I tried to stay away from them. In fact, some of the guides were obnoxious and yelling and shouting about the different areas. The tours were walked around in huge groups like cattle and I doubt that the people could really see everything they stopped at. I was trying to stay away from them as much as possible.

You dont necessarily have to do the entire freedom trail to get the flavor of the history. I particularly enjoyed The Old North Church, Paul Revere's house and the USS constitution - so if you want to shave some time off you can.

1 Thank AlexandraB9

• Turkish first
Santa Rosa, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Excellent History Lesson along the Red Brick Road”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I spent our first time in Boston in May 2013 and absolutely loved every minute of it. The Freedom Trail was one of the highlights of our trip, and it is one of those things that you absolutely must do in Boston.

The history that has unfolded at sites along the red brick trail is amazing. If you are nerdy like us, you will easily spend all day doing this, although the highlights can be hit in several hours. If you are crunched for time, do the guided tour (which lasts approximately an hour and a half) to hit the highlights. The great thing about doing the tour was that it allows you to see the most important historical parts of Boston in a short amount of time - and if you're like us, to get an overview about everything so you can come back and know which sites you'd like to spend more time at later without the tour!

We opted to purchase vouchers online through the Freedom Trail Foundation's website so that we could go with a guided walking tour. This was a very easy process, and although you can do the Freedom Trail at no cost by yourself, it was fun to see the guides dressed up in period clothing and they truly make the experience come to life. The money from the guided tours goes to preservation of the Freedom Trail, so there is an added bonus to spending money on it instead of going alone. Our tour guide "Judith Sargent Murray" (modern day: Aimee) did a wonderful job hitting all the major points along the trail, and afterward made great recommendations for what to do and where to eat. She was able to answer questions, very friendly, and a gifted story teller. In addition to the backdrop of historical context, she told us stories about weird happenings (i.e. Google the skin book in the Athenaeum!) and did her best to make sure everyone could hear her (which is helpful for people like us, as my husband has a hearing problem).

Even if you decide to do this alone and opt not to pay for a guided tour, you will still enjoy the experience. I recommend doing a little homework with Boston guidebooks (go to your local library and see what travel books are available) to learn about the sites before you go. Here's a tip for AAA members: I stopped at AAA and got the Boston TourBook, and actually read additional information about each site as we were doing the guided tour. The AAA book was surprisingly helpful and has a good version of a walking tour for the Freedom Trail, that for all intents and purposes, paralleled the guided tour we did - and adds extra facts about the sites.

Visited May 2013
Seattle, Washington
293 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Only if you are big into American history”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I walked the 2+ miles of freedom trail (with free map downloaded from a website). It is pretty interesting, but unless you are a huge American history lover, I am not sure seeing what once used to be the house of Paul Revere and few gravestones will excite you. However, it is worth a little walk (especially the couple cemeteries you pass by that are very old).

Sierra Vista, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Lessons on Liberty”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our guide was Michele Chayka, Lessons on Liberty.

For those not familiar with Boston tourism, the city created a link of historical and cultural sites in Boston for the revolutionary period - Freedom Trail. Most, if not all, of the sites you can reach by walking. For a fee you pay for at the Boston Commons, you can join a tour of the sites in vicinity of the Boston Commons. The rest you can walk or take a bus tour. Trail is greater than a mile, from the Commons to the US Constitution across the river.
Our guide had energy, helpful, and knowledgeable. As we tour, she place the sites in historical context and associated them with the leaders of the period. A history lesson well done.

1 Thank SV_Traveler
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Way to See a City”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a perfect -and my favorite- way to visit a city! I haven't done the guided tour, but really enjoyed going at our own pace and picking and choosing which sites to visit in greater detail. What's more, it was around dinner time as the trail took us through the North End and it was a perfect spot to take a break and enjoy a delicious dinner!
It's like a grown-up treasure map throughout the city, following the red trail and discovering new pieces of treasured history along the way! Boston is such a walkable city; the Freedom trail takes advantage of this and makes it very easy- no maps required, just follow the trail!

Visited July 2012

Been to Freedom Trail? Share your experiences!