“Needs some work” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 379 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The red line on the sidewalk leads you on this 2.5-mile, self-guided tour of American Revolution sites. It starts at the Boston Common, America's oldest public park, and ends at the famed Bunker Hill Monument.
Baltimore, Maryland
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Needs some work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

First walked this trail in 1976 and I do not believe it has been kept up since. At places, it is difficult to follow, the red bricks are missing or cracked, and they have removed many of the tourist centers. This could be a real tourist draw for Boston, but they need to put some money into making the trail more user friendly

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Just follow the red line...it really is as easy at that!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Freedom Trail is a great way to explore Boston on foot. It is extremely well marked and allows travelers an easy way to visit all the historic sites without consulting a map and at their own pace. If you are a history buff like me, this is really something you must do. I did the trail on my own in an afternoon while I was in town for work. I did not utilize any of the guided tours, though I did encounter them while I was on my walk. To start, I took the Metro to the Boston Common and just started walking. It is about a three mile walk, but there was paces to rest and use bathrooms. I stopped off at the sites that interested me, which was most I'll admit, and when I did I found sites to be well-preserved with friendly and well-informed docents. I followed the trail up through the north end and ended at the USS Constitution. It was a great way to spend an afternoon and when I return to Boston, I'll probably do it again.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank lawgirl79
Glasgow
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“A must for every Boston visitor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We absolutely loved the freedom trail. My wife and I opted not to go on a duck tour, because it was more expensive and we cannot remember everything that is being talked about during a tour. There are many reasons for why we loved the freedom trail, these are:

- It takes you through lovely, historical areas of Boston downtown and surrounding areas.
- It is simple to follow and if you lose the trail, quite easy to pick it up again (even if you have to ask a local)
- The places you stop for historic info are well described, set out and clear.
- At times you may find yourself on your own, as the trail is a reasonable walk and people take their time touring it.
- You might find a hidden gem now and again, like a Figs restaurant, a ice cream place, Boston Fire Station, and of course some fantastic views.
- You need to be reasonable fit to walk it. It will certainly take at least a day or two to do the whole tour (including all the stops, like Devere House, Churches, Gardens, etc.)

Alternatively be lazy and take a duck tour....

Taylors, South Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Love the walk through history. Makes you proud!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Well organized, laid out & easy to follow. Wish more historical cities would be this organized. Well worth the time to do.

Visited November 2011
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Explore Boston in a few hours!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great way to get a taste of American history and explore Boston on foot at your own pace. Lots of opportunities to take breaks if required.