“Great aquarium - daughter loved the Trainer for a Morning Program”

New England Aquarium
Ranked #35 of 402 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The 200,000-gallon Giant Ocean Tank is the centerpiece of the Aquarium, Boston's most visited tourist attraction.
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Overall the aquarium is very cool with one of the biggest and most expansive penguin exhibits we have ever seen. We went on a Sunday and got there first thing so it was quiet but by lunch it was a madhouse where you spent as much time dodging strollers as you did looking at exhibits.

The main reason for our visit was my 12 year old daughter participated in the Trainer for A Morning Program. For 2.5 hours she and another girl (max size of 3 people) trailed a trainer everywhere they went and got to participate in food prep, feeding different animals and participated in 3 different training sessions with the harbor and fur seals. She got to go into the seal enclosures and touch and interact with the seals - and even got a painting done by a Harbor Seal right in front of her.

We spent 15 days in New England and this was one of our favorite things and my daughter absolutely loved the Trainer Program.

1  Thank TexasTraveller56
Write a ReviewReviews (4,610)

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Young kids will enjoy the Shark, Penguins and JellyFish. I particularly enjoyed the Caribbean Reef replica--the huge tank in middle of the aquarium.

There are programs for live shows, dive into giant tank, etc. These are educational for the parents and fun for the kids to watch.

The Aquarium isn’t too big-Just 4floors and dark. I would have expected more creatures since it is nearer to the ocean.

Frugal Hint: If you/friends/relatives live in Massachutaes-you can get a Library Pass for Aquarium and pay just $8/per person.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We visited the Boston Aquarium on a Saturday. It was a beautiful day outside so we were surprised with the number of people spending the day inside.

I believe the aquarium was probably well done but there were so many people, screaming babies and wreck-less stroller drivers in the place it was difficult to get close enough to the exhibits to enjoy them -- much less read the exhibit dialogue. In the shark petting tank the noise was at such a level that the sharks were hiding under the rocks and wouldn't come out.

I would recommend visiting an aquariums other than Boston that uses a 'timed' entrance only allowing a certain number of tickets to be sold for 15 minute intervals and thus provide better crowd control.

Unfortunately since we only had a couple days of vacation remaining and teenagers that had procrastinated on their souvenir shopping we also had to visit the gift shop. What a rip off -- basic t-shirts for $25 and up!

We will NOT visit the Boston aquarium again.

1  Thank kwenbee13
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Always a great time. Cool exhibits. We especially like the seal exhibits.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent several hours at the aquarium recently, and left feeling a little let down. We went on a Tuesday, and were met by busloads of children everywhere. Luckily, the Harbor Seal exhibit is visible from the ticket line, and were very much entertained. There were penguins in excess, and the sea turtles were phenomenal. It is set up very well as to never miss an exhibit, but much of it is too dark to get decent pictures of anything. We spent a lot of time waiting for groups of kids to move on to the next exhibit, and had to skip the touch tank entirely. When the presenters said, "it's getting a little loud in here" they weren't kidding. Lunch was the same thing. It looked, sounded, and felt much like a cafeteria, other than the $40+ we spent on it. Our 2 adult tickets (basic, no Imax, etc), lunch, and parking ($35 unless you plan on just running in) cost us over $130 dollars. The exhibits were a little disappointing. While the giant tank was a great mix of fish with a few turtles, there was an apparent lack of whales or sharks. The whale watch, I'm sure, is a necessity to really get the entire oceanic experience. If you're looking for the whole experience in one place for a more reasonable price, Mystic Aquarium is the way to go. I wouldn't go back to NE Aquarium, and I honestly wouldn't recommend it even as a family experience - there was just too much waiting, not enough to see or do, and way too expensive.