“What a pleasant surprise!”

Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum
$39.90*
Boston Ghosts and Gravestones Tour
Ranked #8 of 396 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: At the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum, you can be a part of the famous event that forever changed the course of American History! It’s more than a stroll through historic artifacts – it’s an adventure! Located on the Congress Street Bridge in Boston, Massachusetts, this floating museum is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before. Live actors, high-tech, interactive exhibits, authentically restored tea ships and the stirring, multi-sensory documentary “Let it Begin Here,” are just a taste of what you’ll see, hear and feel. Meet the colonists, explore the ships and dump tea overboard just as the Sons of Liberty did on that fateful night of December 16, 1773. Stop in at Abigail’s Tea Room for teatime and visit the Gift Shop for special souvenirs. It’s educational, entertaining and enlightening — an experience not to be missed by adults and children of all ages. Your tour of the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum will last approximately one hour and will take you through a variety of displays that are interconnected. The tour is designed to give you the opportunity to participate, explore and learn about the people, events and consequences that led up to the American Revolution in the order in which they actually occurred more than 230 years ago.
Reading, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We took the whole family and had a fantastic time. I'm normally the one glazing over thinking it seems like a glorified field trip taking my children to these events. The whole experience start to finish was fun, interesting, suprising and informative. All of us thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best historical things we've done.

Visited May 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank Charlene B

• Slovak first
Powell, Ohio, United States
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Most FUN museum in Boston”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We saw at least a dozen museums while in Boston, but this one was so much FUN. You get to really participate in history and get your hands dirty. Loved this one!

2 Thank Jessica C
Kelso, Washington
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“My favorite thing in Boston”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

From reading the reviews I decided to take my big old family to the Boston Tea Party Museum first on my trip to Boston. It was pricey but it was well worth it. It is a beautiful place with great actors that get the guests all riled up to throw tea into the sea. My family had such a great time yelling, stamping their feet and learning about the Boston Tea Party. The holgrams were cool. Afterward we hiked over to the Freedom Trail. Boston Tea party was the best part of our day.

2 Thank mightyheidi
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Boston Tax Dodgers Eh!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit even if I didn't approve of the actions of the tax dodgers. I'm sure the tax must have been fair after all the services provided by the British for the colonies had to be paid for somehow. However I loved the staged story today and even had a "bit part" in it myself. I'm enjoying the Boston tea now I'm back home in England. I looked on the packet to see where it was made, and "blow me down", it's England!!!

2 Thank ericBournemouth
CEOHistoricTours, Owner at Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear EricBournmouth:

Thank you for your comments. I was pleased to see you are from the mother country and I am glad you got to see our new museum dedicated to the Boston Tea Party.

I just wanted to get back to you to make sure you understood the significance of the Boston Tea Party. It had nothing to do with dodging taxes. I think a vast number of colonists were quite satisfied to be living under the protection of Great Britain and King George and, while the French and Indian War was a costly endeavor, they felt that they, too, had contributed to the effort, both in materials and men.

The tax on the tea was certainly not the core issue of the Boston Tea Party. In fact, all the taxes that had been enacted were withdrawn except for this one tax to purportedly, “Keep up the right”. In fact, the tea brought in on the Dartmouth, Eleanor and Beaver, had it landed, would have been cheaper for Bostonians than the tea being purchased from the smugglers. By the way, the tea sent over from England was from the bloated warehouses in London and was fairly old by this time. In short, it was inferior tea. The main point of the Boston Tea Party was that the colonists felt it was their right as “Englishmen” and being subject to the tenets of the Magna Carta was representation if they were going to be taxed. The whole objective of the Revolutionary War stemmed from a fairly common feeling that there should be, “No taxation without representation”. To them it was, indeed, tyranny.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again at the all new and amazing Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum.

Chris Belland
CEO
Glasgow, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic place to visit! A must do while you are in Boston!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I wasn't planning to do this but when other plans got cancelled I ended up there and was so glad I did. Interactive museum which was well put together and very enjoyable. I was shown around by Frances Crass haha a great actress, all the people there are. I am sure kids would love this! It is not often you say this but well worth the money It takes around an hour and you can sit in a lovely tea room afterwards. I had a blueberry scone, which was lush!

2 Thank LynseyC33