“My favorite thing in Boston”

Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum
$31.00*
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour with Optional Harbor Cruise
Ranked #8 of 400 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: At the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum, you can be a part of the famous event that forever changed the course of American History! It’s more than a stroll through historic artifacts – it’s an adventure! Located on the Congress Street Bridge in Boston, Massachusetts, this floating museum is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before. Live actors, high-tech, interactive exhibits, authentically restored tea ships and the stirring, multi-sensory documentary “Let it Begin Here,” are just a taste of what you’ll see, hear and feel. Meet the colonists, explore the ships and dump tea overboard just as the Sons of Liberty did on that fateful night of December 16, 1773. Stop in at Abigail’s Tea Room for teatime and visit the Gift Shop for special souvenirs. It’s educational, entertaining and enlightening — an experience not to be missed by adults and children of all ages. Your tour of the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum will last approximately one hour and will take you through a variety of displays that are interconnected. The tour is designed to give you the opportunity to participate, explore and learn about the people, events and consequences that led up to the American Revolution in the order in which they actually occurred more than 230 years ago.
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

From reading the reviews I decided to take my big old family to the Boston Tea Party Museum first on my trip to Boston. It was pricey but it was well worth it. It is a beautiful place with great actors that get the guests all riled up to throw tea into the sea. My family had such a great time yelling, stamping their feet and learning about the Boston Tea Party. The holgrams were cool. Afterward we hiked over to the Freedom Trail. Boston Tea party was the best part of our day.

2  Thank mightyheidi
There are newer reviews for Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit even if I didn't approve of the actions of the tax dodgers. I'm sure the tax must have been fair after all the services provided by the British for the colonies had to be paid for somehow. However I loved the staged story today and even had a "bit part" in it myself. I'm enjoying the Boston tea now I'm back home in England. I looked on the packet to see where it was made, and "blow me down", it's England!!!

2  Thank ericBournemouth
CEOHistoricTours, Owner at Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear EricBournmouth:

Thank you for your comments. I was pleased to see you are from the mother country and I am glad you got to see our new museum dedicated to the Boston Tea Party.

I just wanted to get back to you to make sure you understood the significance of the Boston Tea Party. It had nothing to do with dodging taxes. I think a vast number of colonists were quite satisfied to be living under the protection of Great Britain and King George and, while the French and Indian War was a costly endeavor, they felt that they, too, had contributed to the effort, both in materials and men.

The tax on the tea was certainly not the core issue of the Boston Tea Party. In fact, all the taxes that had been enacted were withdrawn except for this one tax to purportedly, “Keep up the right”. In fact, the tea brought in on the Dartmouth, Eleanor and Beaver, had it landed, would have been cheaper for Bostonians than the tea being purchased from the smugglers. By the way, the tea sent over from England was from the bloated warehouses in London and was fairly old by this time. In short, it was inferior tea. The main point of the Boston Tea Party was that the colonists felt it was their right as “Englishmen” and being subject to the tenets of the Magna Carta was representation if they were going to be taxed. The whole objective of the Revolutionary War stemmed from a fairly common feeling that there should be, “No taxation without representation”. To them it was, indeed, tyranny.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again at the all new and amazing Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum.

Chris Belland
CEO

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I wasn't planning to do this but when other plans got cancelled I ended up there and was so glad I did. Interactive museum which was well put together and very enjoyable. I was shown around by Frances Crass haha a great actress, all the people there are. I am sure kids would love this! It is not often you say this but well worth the money It takes around an hour and you can sit in a lovely tea room afterwards. I had a blueberry scone, which was lush!

2  Thank LynseyC33
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Anyone who comes to Boston for the history or with children need to go to this attraction first. Through the use of live employee actors, audio visual aids etc you learn a great deal about what made Boston famous and so much a part of the beginning of this great country. The story of the famous Boston Tea party is told in an excellent way. Our tour guide was Margaret who really did an excellent job as playing her part as our tour guide staying in character even with a good British accent. The tour gets the participants involved and the kids should like this and more important remember this history lesson. Even if your an adult I suggest you take the time to visit this attraction. Well worth it.

2  Thank Mike32765
Reviewed May 11, 2013

So, as I walked in, I was given a role to play. (Awesome!) Once the first part stared (a show in effect), it got better. Kids in the audience were given speaking parts! YEA!!
As we boarded the historically accurate ship, it got better. The kids (well, everyone) were given the chance to throw tea overboard! A short tour of the ship and the history of her were all bonus material!
To end the tour, they have an actual tea crate that was thrown overboard! (Too bad no photography is allowed!).
Overall, a highlight of this history geek's trip to Boston!

2  Thank Greasefire11