“unhappy employees”

and up
Private Boston Movie Sites Tour with Driver
Ranked #181 of 400 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Southie is a gritty working-class neighborhood on the brink of gentrification.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

we took the Amtrak to south station in boston ma on our way to salem ma. arrived at the boston station. 1st employee I asked about directions/instructions to salem tells me "I don't know". 2nd employee tells us "I don't know, follow that man over there he is going to the same place." we follow the customer who is talking to another employee who is inside a glass space/room. she has the door opened slightly, the customer is asking her something. she answers and immediately closes the door and walks away. we were standing right behind this customer and she just closed the door and walks away from the door. she looked as if she was in a bad mood. as if we were disrupting her. which we probably were but we were instructed to her by another employee. well then then 2nd employee helps us to buy tickets to get to salem. he tells us to use our tickets to go into another area. we enter another area not knowing what to do. we get in another line and the clerk tells us that after we use those tickets that we need to take a bus to salem. she sells us tickets for a bus. we ask what the 1st tickets were for and she directs us to a "manny" at another desk. we walk to the desk. "manny" was the 1st employee I asked about information from that informed me he did not know how to get to salem ma from boston south station. we approached him and asked him again. he explained how to get to salem from south station this time. I guess he had to be behind a desk to help us out. we go back to where the 2nd clerk who sold us the 1st set of tickets. he sees us and he directs us to the subway and gives us a little more information as to how to get to salem ma. we figure out what we have to do now. we get ourselves to wonderland with the subway tickets. from wonderland we had to get a bust to salem ma. here comes in the 2nd set of tickets we were sold. as we waited for our bus we got to talking to a local who informed us how to get to salem ma. we decided to take a taxi from wonderland to salem ma for $42. thanks to the local at the bus station for this. we get to salem. we took a taxi back to boston south station from salem $65. our train departed at 8:15am. we got there at 7:00 am. we get to south station and ask directions to our train and again a lazy looking, what the hell do you want, attitude employee tells me "gate 6" "over there" . I ask him if we have to go out to the train and wait and he says yes. we went all the way out to the train and we figure out that we have to wait inside the building till they call our train. we did not use our bus tickets so we gave them to some employees in the station. all in all this was an extremely disappointing thank god short visit to boston ma. I am so glad that we did not spend any time there. the employees at the south station in boston ma need to work on their social skills and not expect everyone to be local people that know the transit system in boston. I was very disappointed with the way we were treated. I do not intend to visit boston ever. they say that the new York people are rude. new York residents and visitors are great. very friendly happy, quick to help. boston ma SUCKS.

6  Thank delia g
There are newer reviews for South Boston

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm a Boston native. While living in the city has it perks sometimes I enjoy my alone time. South Boston is a great place to enjoy that time, because it's near the water, plenty of restaurants and plenty of relaxation.

5  Thank vintagegirl4
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I Grew Up and lived in South Boston , For a while. Went there when i was in my teens and twenty something. Very home like. People are Very Friendly. Nice place to live. Easy to get around and every one helps you. People are always saying hello or hi. Main attractions are South Boston , Saint Patty's Day Parade and Castle Island. Also the magnificent Church's and Great Bingos. Some shopping around, Some Bar Rooms also. T access , Cabs , buses, and limos. Things are close by. Parks and Beach's. People here are very friendly and eager to lend a helping hand when needed. I recommend visits and living here. It is not like the films. It has never been like them.

3  Thank Gerard G
Reviewed October 10, 2012

South Boston use to be a fairly average neighborhood, although it was great if you just like a homey, middle-class, friendly neighborhood. Over the past 20 years it has become more up and coming, which means the prices are up. But, happily, the people are still local and it is still homey.

1  Thank Paula M
Reviewed August 3, 2012

"Southie" has its good points and down sides. A regular working class neighborhood, it is lined with narrow streets, the traditional rows of triple decker houses, some tough housing projects, and a few lovely streets ( think East Broadway) of pretty, historic homes. It's general lack of green space is made up for by its lovely coastline and beaches stretching from the JFK Library/UMass out to Castle Island. Not great swimming, but wonderful walking, jogging and just relaxing. On other other edge is the new business/nightlife "Innovation" district, with trendy restaurants, hotels, the convention center, and great views of the the harbor. Gentrification is quickly coming, however, and it is likely that the traditional blue-collar neighborhoods will eventually be supplanted by young professionals and upscale shops. Visit while it still has its traditional Irish Boston flavor.

1  Thank mossboston