“Good food, but getting bored after several visits. Service, one of the worst.”

Gourmet Dumpling House
Ranked #138 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The food is great as others say. Well, when the auntie is in the kitchen. When she retires to her home early, the foods are cold and not quite the same.

Now, I would like to focus on the service. As repeat regulars, we normally get welcomed by the guy who owns the place, but the wife and the servers are quite bad.

Poor compromised sitting situations, always! - even when we insisted we would wait for the better tables get cleared, they tend to get irritated and fight back.

If you are forced to sit next to the counter, you will be facing the crouches of the next coming in guests in-line. And, they stare at you and the food within 2-3 ft above you.

This is why two of us always insist waiting a little more to avoid the said table.

It is quite filthy, sticky everywhere, with Christmas and New years Decorations over the years.

The servers never attend the tables. I think they do not know the concept of the welcoming gesture for their business.

Lastly, when the owner couples are not there, the female servers scream over the tables and our heads, and sometimes, you will get showered with their salivas.

Quite disgusting, and we finally walked away last time, after doznes of visits in the past years, and tried another random place nearby. They are much more polite and nicer, well, food was not bad at all (I think Boston Chinatown is quite successful keeping their food quality consistant in most of places)

I think the owners should recognize the service being the problem at the moment and do something about it. Or, it will put off other loyal customers as well.

Too bad that they turned sour.

2  Thank One_Big_Hopping_Dot
There are newer reviews for Gourmet Dumpling House

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Their name says it all. While this place is cramped, their beer is a bit over priced but their Dumplings are fantastic! I devoured a plate of dumplings for what ended up being a really late lunch for me but likely an early dinner for most. It was interesting to watch the employees clean vegetables at one of the back tables while I scarfed down my meal. I missed their "Wall of Fame" right as you enter there are a bunch of photos of celebrities who have eaten there. I would definitely come back if I was in Boston.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We have been to GDH on previous visits to Boston but forgot just how good the place was. I think you always need to wait for a table but it is so worth it. 4 of us had an assortment of dumplings and buns, some flat noodles with beef for sharing and some small appetisers (pickled cucumber with garlic WOW). Definitely worth a visit if you are in town!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Its a small place in the chi-town but immensely popular. We waited 30 mins in chilli breezy boston weather to even get inside. Tried the dumpling and fried grouper something (they make it like nuggets with sweet sauce) and the fried rice everything was absolutely tasty and worth the wait. Service is decent, those faulting the service fail to realize that its difficult to serve so many people when you have such a limited navigable space. its a tight squeeze for sure. Plus for this kind of price point you aren't really going for service rather just the food.

If you don't mind elbowing someone while eating or vice-versa and enjoy communicating with other people and eat good food too, this is the place to be. Thier waiting lines are good place to connect with fellow foodies as well :D

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Food, service, price was fantastic! I'm going back for more choices ASAP!! No more chow chow city for me!!