“Think twice before you try”

Gourmet Dumpling House
Ranked #117 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went with my family a few months ago. The place was crowded so we thought, maybe this is a good place to try. So many people cant be wrong! Well, boy were we in for a surprise! The quality of the food was less than desirable and the service, if you can call it service, was terrible. We had to ask the server numerous times for napkins to wipe down the table after he wiped it down with a dirty cloth. I can not stress this enough, the place was dirty, crowded and lousy. There are lots of other places to eat in Boston's Chinatown without worrying about getting sick and being treated like a second class citizen. If you never had good Chinese food, you may think this place is the bomb. I wont go here if I was starving to death! ;P

2  Thank 8umble8ee
There are newer reviews for Gourmet Dumpling House

Reviewed September 1, 2013

When we approached China Town we asked a local business man for the direction and mentioned to look for a nice Chinese lunch. As he pointed us the right way he mentioned that he cannot recommend any places there anyhow. Indeed, Chinatown in Boston seems to be an awkward quarter compared to those in London or San Francisco. We cruised through Chinatown and spied out those restaurants that were crowded by Bostonians and especially people of Chinese descent. That’s how we found this place. We took the lunch offer of three mains for a discounted price and it was very lekker, indeed. Our table neighbour of Chinese origin was a visitor from Canada, who came here for the food that cannot be found in her home town. She took so much she could never finish: clams, fish in a soup bowl and dumplings. She seemed to be so happy about the food of her childhood and photographed everything. It is a humble place with great food.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have eaten at most of the restaurants in Boston's Chinatown and I have to say GDH is by far the best. All of my meals there have been lunch. It's a small place and is always crowded so best to get there 10 mins or so before noon to get a spot. The beef with long horn peppers, the fried pork and leek dumplings and the fried schezuan chicken are superb, however, my absolute favorite is the pork fried rice. This is white rice and cabbage fried with smoky pork. None of that brown soy colored rice that you typically see. This is a simple dish, yet one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. The scallion pancakes, and sautéed veggies are also pretty good.

Again the place is small and crowded and it is busy. Food comes in the order that the chef feels like preparing it. Service is fine given the incentive is to feed you and clear the table for the waiting masses.

I go there at least a couple of times a month and have NEVER regretted my decision.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

From the street this place is nondescript except for the hordes of people waiting outside. Once inside, you're squeezed into a table by a server, who quickly darts away to serve another patron. The dining room is cramped and loud, but in a fun way, it creates an atmosphere that turns your dinner into an event.

We've eaten here twice and sampled dumplings, noodle dishes, and the scallion pancakes. All were served quickly and we're piping hot. The food is delicious and super cheap. Dinner for two was less then 25 bucks. It actually felt like we were robbing them.

If you're visiting Boston and are at the Commons or the Public Garden, do yourself a favor, and take the five minute walk into Chinatown. The experience is absolutely worth it!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This place is jam-packed even before 6:00, but we wondered why. The supposedly gourmet dumplings had thick, crude wrappers; our clumsy waitress got one of her fingers into every rice bowl she set down, etc., etc. It made one wonder if the many Asian patrons were receiving better food or service. What we got was no better than what could be found at an airport food court.

1  Thank aestheticangel