“Delicious food in Boston's North End”
Review of Vinoteca di Monica

Vinoteca di Monica
Reserve with OpenTable
Vinoteca di Monica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #399 of 3,206 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Hanover St.
Transit: Haymarket, Gov't Center & Aquarium
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food in Boston's North End”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I went to this restaurant with a couple friends that I studied abroad in Rome, Italy with, so you know it must be good! They live in the North End and it is one of their favorites.

I thought they had a great wine selection, by the glass or bottle, that was pretty reasonably priced ($9-12 per glass). I had a Barbera that was really nice.

The food was delicious, we got a range of things, some on the menu and some on the specials that were all really tasty. I had the Tortelli di Zucca (basically ravioli with pumpkin inside), which was delicious!

Our waiter was very nice and attentive but not overly so. Very nice place, would recommend dressy casual attire, although you wouldn't feel weird in jeans and a t-shirt.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank lbclarkster

Boston
“It was ok”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had dinner tonight and honestly it started off really well. The antipasto was excellent and the mozzarella appetizer was delicious. However three out of four of us ordered pasta dishes and we all thought the sauces were extremely salty. The gnocci, bolonaise and lobster ravioli. It was a shame the chef put way too much salt. My son had the $38.00 rack of lamb. He enjoyed it but was still hungry it was a small portion. For that price it should have come with a side dish of pasta or side salad. I dont think we would go back. The meals would have been great if they had not been drenched in salt.

Morristown,NJ
“Trying hard . . . not quite there”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was looking for a place in the North End to meet a friend from NH. Since he is an excellent Italian cook, I was trying hard to find something better than average. When I saw on the website menu that they had olive ascolane as an appetizer, I knew this was my place. I arrived early and sat at the bar. The young staff was friendly. My friend arrived and we were seated. The menu is quirky, in that there are lots of appetizers and lots of pastas, but very few main dishes. OK by me, but not everyone's cup of tea. We ordered three appetizers and they were all quite good. My friend ordered a pasta off the menu and I had one of the special pastas - fettucine with wild mushrooms. Both pastas were OK, nothing spectacular. My pasta was a little overcooked. Dessert was typical Italian restaurant fare. Wine list is extensive and there are nice bottles to be had at a fair price. I went back two nights later when plans fell through and had a much better experience. The gnocchi with wild boar ragu was one of the most authentically Italian dishes I have eaten on this side of the Atlantic. If all their food was as good as that . . .

• Visited January 2013
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“Great spot for wine and apps at the bar”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

To be honest I've never sat down and had dinner here but I have had many of the drinks and continue going back because they are so good! They make one of the best dirty martini's in the North End. Great bar menu, nice atmosphere, good late night spot!

• Visited March 2012
Newton, MA
“Moved me to tears . . . but for the wrong reasons”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Good food, terrible service. And by terrible, I mean a server who was rude, insulting, condescending, and barely deigned to answer questions. When asked about the possibility of preparing one of the evening's specials with the sauce on the side, our waiter was quick to reply that he could only sell what the chef prepared. Yes, but couldn't chef just make the gnocci and pour the sauce into a separate dish rather than onto the gnocci? Immediate answer: "No. So do you want that dish, ma'am?" he asked with an impatient tap tap tap of his pen on the order pad. There were additional exchanges as I struggled to understand why what I was requesting seemed so beyond our waiter's comprehension, and he was struggling to comprehend why I couldn't just order exactly what was on the menu, exactly as it was written.

One of our dining companions was so incensed that she jumped and went to the kitchen staff and asked to speak to the chef. She was told that the chef doesn't speak to people.

We dined on the early side on a Friday night. The restaurant was packed. Whatever they are doing seems to be working, though it wasn't working for us on this particular night. As another reviewer said, there are plenty of great restaurants in the North End. I will not be quick to return to this one.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Sharon J

Been to Vinoteca di Monica? Share your experiences!