“My local stomping grounds”
Review of White Horse Tavern

White Horse Tavern
Ranked #1,305 of 3,319 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Bar
Neighborhood: Allston / Brighton
Neighborhood: Allston / Brighton
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Well I have seen some negative reviews around here and most of them seem to concern the door guys or inattentive bar staff. These are usually first time visitors that had a weird experience (probably due to their drunkenness) and I don't think they are giving this place a fair shake. The door guys DO have a quick turn around so you are always dealing with someone new (kinda a pain) but I have not had any of these problems and I have been coming here for 5+ years (maybe that is the reason?). During baseball season I grace this tavern usually 3-5 times a week for games.

Sure you can get a cheaper draft down at the Avenue, but the food deals here can't be beat. They run $3 burger and fries (meal size) all the time and $6 1-pound of steak tips and fries a couple times a week. Not to mention their cobb salad special and London Broil special. They will usually have a draft or bottle special on rotation from month to month and the High Life's are always cheap.

As for TV's it is a great place to watch a game. The main bar has so many LCD's that you can usually watch multiple games easily from one seat. Make sure you pick your seat wisely during football because they have the games listed for the TVs and will not change them.

I don't like going here on Fri/Sat nights though as this is the college meathead time. I like to sit with a pint and watch a game, not get a beer spilled on me while standing next to some barely legal drunk moron. If you are in to the 'cub' scene, this isn't a plcae for you but if you like to sit down, listen to some tunes, watch some sports and strike up a convo with the person sitting next to you, I am sure you will enjoy it.

If you like trivia, this is the only bar in Boston that has trivia 3 nights a week. Why do I know this? Because Will the host mentions it every damn time ;)

All-in-all it is my favorite bar in the area and I have been to them all. If you take this seriously and go, you'll probably run into me and not even know it.

peace.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed November 22, 2008

great lunch specials. $6 steak tips and fries every weds and thurs. service completely depends on who you get. one lady is terrible, one of the guys is excellent.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed September 1, 2008

White Horse Tavern is a nice-sized bar located on Brighton Avenue. My friend and I stopped in recently to grab a burger and watch a little sports. They have plenty of flat-screen televisions and lots of channels to choose from, which made the experience great. The burger was also pretty decent, but nothing too spectacular. The fries were good, but also weren't great.

The menu did look like it had quite a bit of variety...I will definately try something else next time I stop in...it's a great place to catch the game!

Reviewed June 6, 2008

"Okay, but some problems" seems to sum up the White Horse pretty well. A good place to go if you're in Allston on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night as the crowd there is good and it gets going early. Standard array of beers at standard prices and no cover charge makes this a popular hangout - several steps above the Kells and even a half-step up on the Common Ground (the lack of a cover charge and a line gives it an extra bump up). But last Saturday night the management decided to turn off the Kimbo Slice fight without warning because they "thought it would cause fights." This clearly didn't make any sense, as I don't know anyone who cared enough about the fight to start fighting over the outcome. Because of their idiocy, I've decided to boycott the bar for the rest of the calendar year. But because generally it's good place to hang out and you generally get a good mix of young people in there, I may be dragged back one of these days.

Reviewed February 19, 2008

Awesomely priced specials. Great boneless buffalo wings (not overly battered). Decent veggie burger.

1  Thank Daisymatic