“French charm on Newbury Street”
Review of La Voile

La Voile
Reserve with OpenTable
La Voile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 3,319 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield / Gloucester
Transit: Copley square or Hynes Convention Center on Green Line
Description: La Voile is an authentic French brasserie, opened in Cannes in 1947. After a few years under a new ownership, it relocated to Boston in 2007.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

While shopping on a muggy afternoon, we happened upon this attractive restaurant with outdoor seating a few steps below street level. A slight breeze and a shaded table encouraged us to have a late lunch outside. Glad we did. My husband enjoyed a tasty French amber beer on draft, while I refreshed myself with a glass of chilled Loire Blanc. I had the two course lunch special for $19. And selected a bowl of gazpacho, nicely spiced, accompanied by a basket of crusty French bread. Then an entree of three large steamed shrimp on a creamy bed of saffron rice with peas and red peppers--delicious and filling. My husband savored his choice of baked salmon with artichokes. Our waitress was charming, attentive to our needs, yet never rushed us. Perfect respite on a warm day in Boston. Could squint and almost imagine Paris.

2  Thank Grapeful

Reviewed September 11, 2013

La Voile is located on Newbury Street. Outdoor seating is available in a below street level setting. Seating for lunch runs until 3PM. Atmosphere as one would expect is relaxed. The service is unbeatable. Wait staff is not overbearing but they do attend to all ones needs. Traditional French cuisine is available with a decent assortment of wines. The baby spinach, goat cheese and beet salad was outstanding as was la soupe d'onion gratinee. The House Meschlun salad combined with the Vichyssoise was also a perfect light lunch combo. The only suggestion that one might make to the staff is that since they apparently speak "en francais" among themselves that might reach out to their customers as to whether they might wish to order "en francais" also.

2  Thank GDC51
Reviewed September 5, 2013

It's simply outstanding! The food is excellent, the service is great and the place is very well located.

1  Thank manelagomez
Reviewed September 1, 2013

La Voile is a Boston must do and never disappoints. Centrally located on Newbury Street it is a wonderful way to end the day. Impeccable service, great atmosphere and consistently great food. Recommend French onion soup and seafood risotto, sole was also great and fromage was excellent. Comprehensive wine list, Pomard Premier Cru was heaven on earth. We will be back!

1  Thank SeaLaVie_63
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was here last week and we had a very good French Meal. Not the best I have had in Boston, and certainly not the worst. Started with the Seared Foie Gras. Don't get me wrong, the portion was huge, it was extremely good...but the pairings were a little uninspired. It was served on toast points with a little salad and a puree of something sweet- but entirely unrecognizable. Was that fruit, honey..I don't know. Then I had the Lobster and Scallop Risotto. It was really great. We sat inside, next to a large loud group. I know that was not the restaurant's fault- but it was the primary reason we didn't stick around for dessert.

1  Thank krigano