“Wife's Birthday Surprise”
Review of The Pines Cottages

The Pines Cottages
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I surprised my wife with a trip to Asheville for her birthday. We didn't want to stay in downtown so decided to rent a cottage here. It was absolutely perfect. Despite being between two main roads there's not as much noise as you would think. We stayed in an non renovated room and it was perfectly fine. The tv was kind of small but it was plenty sufficient to keep up with the basketball tournament. We both really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend a stay here

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We absolutely LOVED our stay at The Pines! I purchased a Groupon for our stay, so I wasn't sure what we were going to get. I visited the website and the cottages and property are exactly as they appear online. *Hint for Groupon visitors, the owners don't get any info from Groupon about you once you book except for your name. If you have any preferences on cottages I would recommend calling ahead.* When we arrived we were met by an adorably fluffy kitty and the very courteous owner, Allen. He shook our hands and welcomed us like family, which you NEVER see at big hotel chains. I was instantly comfortable and we chatted about attending the same university while he checked us in. He was super knowledgeable about the area and showed us key places we may want to visit on a map that he sent along with us. The checking-in experience was just something you don't get at a normal hotel. It wasn't stuffy and formal. It was welcoming and generous, like visiting an old friend or family member. He showed us our cottage and urged us to call him on his cell (number located in the guestbook) if we had any issues or even just questions about where to go and how to get there. What a great guy!

Once we arrived at the cottage, I felt like I stepped back into the past. The rustic feel flowed through every aspect of the cottage, inside and out. The furniture was beautifully painted and the decor suited the vintage theme. It was a nice change of pace from the contemporary and boring hotel rooms with weird abstract paintings on the walls and plain white bedding. We were elated to get this vintage feeling without sacrificing TV, though! The TV was small, but who cares? Asheville is way more interesting than anything on TV anyway. The bed was comfy and the quilt was adorable. I got some of the best sleep of my life. There were only two pillows on the king size bed, so if you're a two pillow sleeper you should consider bringing an extra. I'm sure you may be able to request additional pillows, too. We didn't use the kitchen much, but it was seriously adorable and had plenty of pots and pans to cook a full meal. The only downside my boyfriend and I found during our entire stay was that our cottage wasn't equipped with a microwave. There was a oven, but we're instant gratification kinda people. ;)

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to traffic noise at night, request a cottage that is farther away from the back...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara J
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at the cottages. We loved it! The cottages are vintage, exactly as they represent them. Look at the pictures on their website and know what you are getting. If you like the amenities of the Ritz then don't stay here. These little cabins are charming and practical. We love having a kitchen when we travel so that was a big part of choosing this place. You can also take along your pet, but we have 4 dogs so we wouldn't have had much of vacation if ours went along! The owners were courteous and kind. I believe they live right there on the property but they weren't hovering over us (my mom stays in a campground where there is an overbearing owner--that's a drag!). That said, they leave you the info you need to get in touch with them if necessary. The location is great- take the highway or local road a few miles (it's situated between the two) and you're downtown. We stayed in charming Cabin 13. As for road noise, Cabin 13 and 14 are the closest to the highway (and I do mean highway--4 lanes--the main drag) and you will hear it. It didn't really bother us but if you're sensitive to road noise you'd probably want to request a cottage somewhere toward the middle of the property. Sometimes the charm does get in the way of modern convenience, for example there aren't a lot of electrical outlets or storage so you have to work hard to stay tidy. The hot water doesn't last real long so don't crank it up full blast or you'll have to make you shower really quick. The mattress was moderately comfortable but seemed a bit worn, and the bed is situated against the wall so if I had to go to the bathroom in the night I either had to crawl over my husband or jump out over the end of the bed..LOL..just the way it is but definitely not convenient! Housekeeping stopped by to take our trash and replenish the towels daily. All in all, we loved having our own little "house" for our stay in Asheville. I'd love to go back again in the summer when I could enjoy grilling out and the outside experience at the cottages. I'd definitely choose The Pines over a hotel anyday!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny B
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

The Pines Cottages is a unique venue which we enjoy for its rustic charm and modern amenities. Our family has stayed at The Pines since the 1940s and continues to find it a pleasurable experience. Kudos to the current owners for their committment to keeping the concept of the motor court alive and well in the 21st century!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to get out of town and enjoy Christmas by ourselves before the craziness of the new year was to begin. She found The Pines online and we had always wanted to go to Asheville, NC.

We made the reservation and stayed 12/23 - 12/26. We brought our dog with us (a 70lb mix) and we had picked Cabin 7. It was the best decision we made. Our cabin was nice and cozy. We never had any problems with dirt or an unclean room. There are some reviews on here that talk about filth and grim but we didn't have that at all. It had a great rustic feel to things and the only dirt we found was what we dragged in on the bottom of our shoes.

Allen, who owns the place with his girlfriend, was a great help. It had rained a lot before we came and our fridge was on the fritz. Even though he was running trips to help his sick girlfriend, he made sure to come by and check it out. There was nothing he could do to fix the problem without taking the fridge apart (we already had some food in it and we didn't want him stressing over the holidays) so he gave us the key to a cabin next door and said we could use that fridge if we wanted. There was no hesitation at all. He was also great about providing more firewood each day and when we asked, especially when the temperature plummeted the second day we were there.

The Pines is also really dog friendly. I saw multiple people there with their dogs. There are poop bag stations all over the place that you can grab a plastic bag at. If someone doesn't pick up after their dog its not Allen's fault. Its the fault of irresponsible dog parents.

The Pines has a great location to everything, and we noticed no traffic noise from the roads near us. If you have questions please call the office and they will help find the perfect cabin for you. Because Allen and Tara run it themselves they are in and out of the office so just leave a message and they will get back to you. A lot of times the office door had a closed sign on it, but they were inside. Sometimes you just have to knock on a door to see if someone is there instead of standing 100ft away looking in.

If you want a great location to go to get away and you want the rustic feel of a cabin, stay at the Pines. Its not a Hilton. Its not a fancy 10 story hotel. And that is ok. This is a little motor cabin in the woods. If you don't want that then stay somewhere else. My wife and I enjoyed cooking our own food in the kitchen that came with pots and pans and dishes. We enjoyed having a fire everyday and night we were there and never felt cold.

I think Allen and Tara have done a great job and we are already planning on returning soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Will W
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I purchased our 2 night stay here through groupon and the pictures on the website were a very accurate description of the cabins. The cabin we stayed in had a stone fireplace, very romantic! The cabin was actually a log cabin, not built to just look like it was made of logs, which made it rustic which my husband and I love. It did not take away from any comfort though, had a queen sized bed that was very comfortable, bedsides the fireplace there were several heaters in the cabin which was plenty enough to keep warm. We were most impressed how clean everything was!! Even though its an older cabin( built in 1930's) it was very clean with updated modern amenities. Cabin included a fairly big kitchen space with a kitchen table, certainly big enough for two!! To top off our experience the staff and the owners, were exceptionally nice and friendly!! We were provided maps and plenty of I sight on things to do in Asheville. Every evening we had fresh towels in the bathroom. I highly recommend this place! My husband and I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 6, 2013

What a great place to stay. Will definitely be back. Can be a little noisy being situates between two roads, but was not really an issue inside the cabin. Location is superb for traveling in and around Asheville.

Room Tip: We stay in #9, Nice, comfortable king-sized bed. Small porch out front to sit and watch the leaves...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple