“Perfect Vintage Cabins!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Pines Cottages
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
“Perfect Vintage Cabins!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am currently staying here and have fell in love with this place. Let me start off by saying, if you want a run of the mill ritzy secluded cabin with no character and no homey feel than this is not the place for you. If you are like my family and enjoy feeling at home, sitting by a fire, and enjoy the vintage feel and the way things were done back when people took the time to appreciate things then this is the place for you.

Allen and Tara are more than accommodating and all the staff is very helpful and there when you need them, even today on New Years day. They may not always answer the phone, but if you leave a message they will get back to you very soon. You have to remember this place is also where they call home. We are staying in cabin 13 with our 3 month old son and absolutely love it! My wife and I love Mid Century Modern feel and all things antique, so this place is perfect. All the cabins have their own character and all are lovely. The gas furnace keeps the place super toasty and there is a fire place when needed for a cozy night. We had all the cooking tools to make breakfast lunch and dinner here, the gas stove works great!

There is a highway off through the woods but you have to understand, back in the 30's, 40's and 50's these places were cabins close to where people were traveling so they could get a nights rest. It made it convenient to be close to roads to get to everything, I feel like a motorist back in the 50's stopping off for a few nights to enjoy what Asheville and the NC mountains have to offer. All in all I love this place and we will be here at least once a year and probably bring a few antiques of our own to help decorate :) Thanks to all the staff at the Pines Cottages for making this stay great! Looking forward to our next few nights here, and returning soon!

Room Tip: Talk with the staff here and really tell them what you are looking for, I didn't see any of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Vilas, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

My partner and I just returned from out second stay at the Pines Cottages. The enchanting fireplace made our quaint room perfect. The rooms are clean, cheerful and have the feel of old world charm. We will be back for sure.

Zebulon, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was a hard place to review because I could see where the good and the bad are coming from, however, we loved it and will definitely stay here again. We loved the location. 10 minutes from Biltmore, Grove Park, downtown Asheville, Farmers Market etc...also 1 minute from the grocery store, excellent restaurants, plus a few cool shops nearby. Pet Friendly. Very clean. I believe the people who perceive it as not clean may think that because it's old and rustic. Nothing gets to be 80 years old without showing some wear and tear. We called it character. This is not a reclusive mountain cabin. It is a neat cabin, surrounded by trees and other cabins in a location that is perfect.
We enjoyed a fire every night, they had a great Christmas tree set up for us, and nobody bothered us. We stayed in Cabin 7. My only complaint was they didn't have a microwave though they do have a stove, oven and fridge. Also outdoor grill and patio with rocking chairs. OH, and the bed shower head on earth!
Honestly, when I walked in the door I was not too sure, but as we stayed here, I found it perfect. Why stay in a hotel, when you can have a little house of your own for less money? I can see if you are a hotel snob you wouldn't like it, but as a person who loves to travel, different experiences, outdoors, fires, and relaxation... I thought this place was perfect!!!

Room Tip: Some cabins have been remodeled and updated. I picked in the windows and they looked really good. We...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bchduty1
Brookhaven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is out 2nd time back! Last year we stayed in cabin 1 and loved it! This year in cottage 7 and it was even better. Good space, king size bed, good size kitchen, and fireplace. The cottage was very quaint and clean. The bed smelled just as if it had come out of the dryer smelling like bounce! We loved the fact that the owners are so nice. They always gave us extra towels for our 3 night stay. They even showed us cabin 13 and cottage 15. We wanted to see for future trips ! Cabin 13 is so cute... Totally updated vintage style and very cozy especially for couples. Cottage 15 has 2 bedrooms! A separate living room and separate kitchen. That is where we will stay next! Yes we are coming back in the winter to go skiing ( too warm for snow on this trip ).
Everything is within 10 min from the property too! Overall loved it and will definitely stay again soon!

Room Tip: There is no fitness center but lots of room to hike. To help decide which cabin or cottage is best...
1 Thank CavaliersBrookhaven
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

This place is great!! Clean and neat. Dog friendly. Cute and cozy. Close to hiking and canoeing. The owners are extremely accommodating! Clean towels daily. If you want to cook the cottages have kitchenettes. The kitchen is so cute and reminds me of a grandma kitchen from the 70s. Our cabin#13 had a great fireplace. High definition TV. Outdoor patio. The owners decorated the cabins for Christmas. We had a Christmas tree!! This was perfect for us because it is very vintage in style. To me it was like a cottage or cabin right from the TV show "Madmen". If there is anything you need to know or if there is something you need in your cottage the owners will do their very best to accommodate you. They even made homemade biscotti for the guests! How nice. We have stayed here a few times now and really love it.

Room Tip: The Website is accurate in the description of this place.
2 Thank CavalierAtlanta
Thepinescottages, Owner at The Pines Cottages, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank You! We love having you and look forward to your next stay. Allen & Tara
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Wow, this was a huge letdown. Based on reading many of the posted reviews and perusing the web site, we expected a quaint, simple, bucolic setting. We were tremendously disappointed. The cottages are definitely cute and much is as advertised. The major problem is location and noise. Any advantages of the experience are undone by the fact that the cottages sit immediately adjacent to a major highway. We are talking feet here. Originally we were set to stay in cottage #13. Walking up to check it out, I felt like I was nearly in breakdown lane. The cottage is probably 50 feet at most from the highway. The owner offered us a choice of two other cottages. We chose one closer to the other end of the property (where there is another thoroughfare with heavy traffic). The noise from both roads, especially the highway, was continuous throughout our stay. Traffic on both roads is very heavy. There are no natural or installed noise barriers on either side of the property. We found the noise and experience to be jarring. The cottage was also not very clean, at least to our standards. There was dust behind the furniture and the hardwood floors were very dirty. There was no mat at the doorway which would help reduce the amount of dirt coming in the place. There were not enough pots and pans to cook more than the simplest meal and the number of dishes were also sparse. Finally, my husband and I both stepped in large piles of dog poop walking into the cottage after dark. The owner told us this is a common problem; however, we saw no preventative strategies or remedies in place. such as signs for owners to pick up poop, dog poop bag stations, or a regular pick-up service). All considered, this place is way overpriced and a poor value for what is provided.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Karen S
Vero Beach, Florida, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I thought we were staying in a cute log cabin with a fireplace for one night. Sounded cozy on a cool October night. I've never stayed in any accommodation where the sheets were so worn they slid off the bed during a normal night of sleep. The towels and washcloths were thin. A fireplace was in the one bedroom cabin, but no way to start the fire....not even matches. There was not a coffee pot with all parts available. What REALLY got to me was the note on the wall that said I should wash and put away any cups, glasses, etc. that were used, to put all dirty linen in one pile and take the garbage out to a dumpster before our departure the next morning. Maintenance issues...like broken furniture....all in all not a good value or experience at $165.00 total for the night. I would not go back or recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin #1
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple