“July 4th at The Grove Park”

The Omni Grove Park Inn
Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We splurged and got a package to The Grove Park over the 4th holiday. We never travel much over busy holiday's and now remember why. We drove up from SC in a rain storm and were happy to get there. We were greeted with and unfriendly check-in process and had to let several people go ahead of us because my boyfriend has left his wallet in the car and did not have a picture ID. I had the paperwork they sent us and my ID with the identical address but the employee at the front desk was NOT nice. I understand the basic policy but thought it was ridiculous since I had ID.

We were in the Vanderbilt newly renovated wing and it was fine. Our room was fine, roomy, clean and nicely appointed but nothing out of the ordinary. We did experience the power outage but did not get the alarm the other wing had so we were just awakened but the generator outside our window making a big racket. We called and they said they would give us a room credit but upon check-out we did not have one. It was so busy we just had to let that go.

The original hotel areas are so nice and well used. We did enjoy drinks and music at the lobby bar. We had good friendly service and enjoyed it and the view. We ate dinner one night in the Sunset Terrace Rest. and had a table for two with a view. Very nice. When we got the menu we were a bit shocked at the prices but were on vacation so just ordered what we wanted. A-la-carte is fine but $14 for 10 spears of asparagus is a bit much or $14 for a tomato salad. We just got what we wanted but cancelled our reservations for the following night and went into town and had a great steak for 1/2 the price. Our fish we ordered was so large that there is no way one person could eat that much. We would have preferred that it was cheaper with a smaller quantity.

The BB King concert was great and they did a wonderful job. Everyone enjoyed it. We went to Elaine's afterwards and had a great time in the piano bar.

We are not big spa people so did not use the facility but was told it was great if you enjoy that kind of thing.

All-in-all it was an expensive weekend that was good overall but we realized when we got home that we could have flown to Mexico, stayed a week at a 5 star all inclusive resort with great views, beach, pool, food and drinks for close to what we payed for 3 nights. I guess it's all in what you're looking for in a holiday.

Room Tip: The original hotel is the best or the Vanderbilt wing.
5  Thank Lisa P
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for staying with us over the holiday weekend and celebrating our 100th Birthday with us. We apologize for the complications that you encountered during check-in. We do follow very strict protocol to ensure the safety of our guests. We are so glad you enjoyed your dining experience at the Sunset Terrace and had fun at the BB King Concert along with Elaine's. Despite the unwanted weather, we had a great weekend and hope you did too. We hope you can join us again the next time you're in the area and maybe even try out our spa.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,620)

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Just at the Grove Park with it new owners Omni Hotel July 1 .
The staff at grove has been through allot I am sure with being sold twice in a little over a year.
But I think Omni group will Polish this Gem to a bright shine.
Employees are doing a great job
We where there for 4th of July and part if 100 birthday celebration
They had a VIP package with a party at country club at there golf course that was outstanding and then Fire works that lit up the stone on hotel . And on Saturday night had B B King in to entertain
Also need to mention that Asheville area has had extreme amount of rain , and during the celebration with all the rain , the staff made it all happen just like it was sunny day .

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank wmbrakeman

Thank you for staying with us during our Centennial Celebration and providing such kind remarks towards our staff. Even though the weather wasn't ideal, we had a blast and are glad you did too! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed JULY 4-7, 2013 on the Club Level for the sixth time and had a wonderful stay. . My room was not much bigger than a standard two double bed hotel room but the accommodations were great. I learned from talking with the staff that the Grove Park Inn has changed hands three times in the last year, most recently on July 1, 2013 when it became an Omni property. There are sure to be growing pains with so many transitions. Small amenities that were greatly appreciated get lost in the shuffle. Arriving on July 4 for a holiday weekend, we found the staff overwhelmed with check-ins, the lobby crowded with adults, kids and dogs. Fireworks scheduled for that night were postponed due to torrential rains. My boyfriend had paid extra for a VIP package which included a fabulous cookout at the golf country club with multiple open bars on Friday night (followed by fireworks) and a concert with BB King on Saturday night in the Grand Ballroom at the GPI. BB King's concert was awesome, although he only performed for about an hour. Still, it was a rare treat to see and hear this blues icon play and sing. We both had aroma therapy massages at the spa and spent time hanging out at the spa pool drinking craft beers. We also went into Asheville and walked around town a bit, taking in the Asheville Art Museum, French Broad Chocolate Lounge and Wicked Weeds Cafe. Overall, it was a wonderful, relaxing weekend commemorating GPIs centennial anniversary. It's a bit pricey but so worth the experience. Hopefully the Omni management can quickly work out the kinks in service.

Room Tip: Club Level provides modest breakfast, happy hour with appetizers, free run of the spa facilities al...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for being our valued guest and helping us celebrate such a milestone event. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

" I visited the Grove Park inn's Spa as a birthday treat for myself. I chose the "Deep Currents Hydrotherapy" treatment my therapist was Ginny. It was pricy but worth it!

The facility is world class and you can certainly spend the day there- which I did. I slept in (at my hotel I stayed off site) and went to the spa in time for lunch. The attendant that checked me in advised the Spa café was serving lunch by the pool. I went down right away and it seemed the patio was short staffed. This was the only time all day that I wasn't satisfied with the service I received. The waitress was short, unfriendly and never took my drink order! I ordered a salmon wrap which was delivered to me 45-1 hour later neither hot nor cold. I should have known not to eat it but I was starving. It gave me FOOD POISONING. I got violently ill shortly after leaving the spa.

Before I forget Ginny was great and so was every part of my day outside of getting sick. I was disappointed in the follow-up from management as they sent me several emails requesting that I rate my experience and when I reported food poisoning from the spa café no one ever called/emailed to apologize! Very disappointing from such an expensive service oriented facility! "

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kris1037
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for choosing to come to our spa as part of your birthday celebration and taking the time to provide comments for your fellow Spa Aficionados. We take great pride in our world-class spa and skilled therapists and are happy you were able to enjoy it!

We are very sorry to hear that you got sick during your stay. Please know that we follow very strictest food handling protocols and treat them with the utmost seriousness. The appropriate management has been notified and we are investigating what could have caused your illness, however, we have not received any other reports of this nature. Again, we apologize for the unpleasant aspect of your dining experience and do hope to welcome you back the next time you’re in our area.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Service was impeccable, especially Eddie in Magnolias who rescued us with no dining reservations. We had to eat in the Magnolia bar as advance reservations were needed to dine in any GPI restaurants. Room was rather small and dark and resort view?? GPI is a large sprawling resort that needs a shuttle service to access all its features. I felt overall it was over priced.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Sammons wing low ceilings and somewhat dark.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Asheville. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us and really appreciate your kind words about our warm and helpful staff. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were at the Grove Park In Asheville for my friends birthday party and our stay was twice as bad as the horrible experience of the previous reviewer because we stayed twice as long. We also experienced the power outage, more horrible experiences and rude, greedy and uncaring service. There should be generators is a place the size of the Grove Park. BUT even if the outage could not be avoided, the way the staff handled it was TERRIBLE. We were never told for sure whether we really should evacuate the building during the HOURS of alarms even though the lights continued to flash for hours. We were never told when the power would be back on, which should have been relatively easy on the intercom or just a short letter under our door. After being without power for 7 hours (no A/C, no lights in the whole place, etc.), we finally asked at 9:30 am to be moved to a different wing. This request was agreed to, but we later had problems nearly as bad with the new room. The second room was a newly refurbished room in the Vanderbilt wing. After one night with almost no sleep at all and then having to change rooms then trying to nap with no success due to the barking DOG in the next room and so much hall traffic and commotion, we tried to enjoy the day as much as possible offsite in downtown Asheville where polite and caring people do actually exist (Such as at Packs Tavern and Chesnuts restaurant). Then nighttime finally came again and we were looking forward to finally sleeping. After getting to sleep, at approximately 1:00 AM, the A/C in our room started making a loud screeching, screeming noise off and on. The speed of the A/C fan also started to fluctuate up and down (even though set on a constant speed), nearly coming to a stop at many points before speeding up again. The temperature and airspeed in the room varied greatly. Then the nightlight in the bathroom also began to dim and go out when the speed of the A/C came to a stop before the gearing up again and the lights would brighten along with the increasing speed of the fan. All along, the screeching sound would come and go. After putting up with the noise and power surges for an hour or so, we considered calling the desk or maintenance but by then it was around 2:00 AM or so, and we decided that calling maintenance at that point would probably either do no good, OR would result in a large repair effort on the screechng fan motor whenever the maintenance people would have arrived at probably 2:00 or 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. So we just tried to accept it and suffer through it rather than get dressed in the middle of the night for the second night in a row and watch a repair job take place in our room. When morning finally came again, we inquired whether we may be given a significantly reduced extra night of stay or at least a free lunch or dinner to help make up for the torture, the nearly completely ruined birthday, and TWO nights of sleeping only approx.1 hour per night. Our request was basically refused and we were taken aside and treated very coldy, plus scolded for not reporting the loud A/C at 2:00 AM in the morning, so they could have possibly sent a crew into our room. There was no caring of the fact that we had already had one sleepless night full of alarms and no communication,etc. There was also no understanding or concern over the barking dog down the hall. We then checked out of the badly maintained and poorly managed facility full of rude people (other than our bell men). We are glad to be gone, but unhappy to have spent approx. $1,000 for that type of terrible treatment, lack of caring and lack of hospitality and very sad that would could have been a special and happy birthday was essentially ruined. If you go to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, you are taking a big risk. Other Asheville locations such as the Crowne Plaza or the Grand Bohemian, or Biltmore (or heck, even the Doubletree or even the Baymont) are nicer and more enjoyable at a much lower cost!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank SteveMcFadden

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us and taking the time to provide such candid feedback. We strive to provide impeccable guest service and always regret it when we fall short of a guests expectations. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and we hope you will reconsider being our guest again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Two days at The Grove Park Inn just is not enough time to enjoy everything about this wonderful, historic property. This hotel is a destination in itself including excellent food, spa facilities, ambiance, view, shopping, and more. And a fun tip -- ride the elevator built inside the huge fireplace.

Room Tip: Try to get into one of the newly renovated rooms as they are larger than the ones in the original bu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for staying with us and giving us such a great review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon!