“Just ok”

Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West
Ranked #37 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We caught a great deal for a quick one night stay in Asheville at this hotel. I'm usually not disappointed with Holiday Inn's. We booked a king room with a whirlpool tub (that was the room on special discount) that wasn't quite what was advertised. The tub in the room would barely fit one person at a time much less us both. Especially considering he is 6'2". We went back to the front desk and asked if we could switch to a regular room since the whole reason we reserved that room was for the relaxation of the whirlpool. They were very helpful and graciously switched us to a regular king room and adjusted the price. It wasn't a total loss, they did have a nice indoor pool and jacuzzi. The room itself was average size with a large flat screen tv and desk area. Internet was additional. The chair in the room needs some serious cleaning. It had stains on it that I wouldn't even put my luggage on top of. The bathroom overhead light had rust around the silver rim and needs some cleaning also. Other than those minor flaws it was nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rayna L, Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Hello l3travel,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay. However, we would like to make sure that it was our location at which you stayed. We do not charge any additional fees for internet at the Holiday Inn Biltmore West, and we do not advertise our whirlpool tubs as meant for more than one person at a time. Upon receiving your comment, each of our king Jacuzzi suites was personally visited by our GEC, as we consider all feedback from guests to be valuable, but we found no chairs with any stains. If it was in fact our location at which you stayed, we do apologize for the misinformation communicated about the size of the tubs and the internet. However, if it was a different location, then we would love to welcome you to book your next stay with us.

Again, thank you for your time, and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I travel to Asheville eight or so times a year for a non-profit organization with which I work and always stay at this hotel. I first stayed here a few years ago while I was in town for a music festival because everything downtown was 200 plus a night. The rates are usually good here and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The lobby is very welcoming and I actually enjoy staying in rooms that look out over the lobby. I agree the carpet is bad, but it seems like they are planning to resolve that issue. The staff has always been professional and friendly. The two things that are detractors to me is that breakfast isn't usually included with the stay and the internet tends to be rather slow. Other than that, I enjoy staying here and plan to stay here in January, February, and March when I travel to Asheville.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Rayna L, Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Hello, Lifeisanodyssey,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how pleased you are with our hotel! It's always so wonderful to hear that our guests feel happy, comfortable, and well taken care of. We want to thank you for choosing our hotel each time you visit Asheville, and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Although an empressive entry and lobby, the check-in clerk was snippy and seemed put out when asked any questions. The rooms were standard with good beds and lighting with a larger bathroom. No preminum TV channels and the hallway carpet (3rd floor) either needs to be replaced or deep cleaned. It was badly stained and dirty. The room was quiet which was a plus. No restaurants in sight.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rayna L, Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

JimPuebloColorado,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. While we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay overall, we are pleased that you did enjoy the room, the bathrooms, the lobby, and the quiet evening. We do appreciate you pointing out that the carpet presents an aesthetic issue, and we are happy to say that it is being replaced by the end of this year. We do regret that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy our room service or our bar and restaurant, which are located in the lobby. We hope this factor did not deter you from choosing to stay with us again, as we would value an opportunity not only to share some of our top-quality menu items, but also provide you with any maps or reservation assistance you may require for nearby dining establishments as well.

We hope to you see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We are currently staying here for a 4 night stay. I really don't understand the terrible reviews. The hotel has a nice lobby, indoor pool/hot tub. The rooms are adequate and the beds are to die for. I have very high standards, and refuse to stay anywhere that is sub-par. When I read these reviews, there a few things that bother me.
1- this isn't a 5 star hotel. If that's what you want, spend the money at Biltmore Inn. Otherwise, dont complain.
2- This is a smoking friendly hotel. If you hate smoke, don't come here, simple as that.
3- Lobby staff is friendly and very accommodating. Those that have negative comments about them, you are probably a difficult pain the neck so can you blame them?
4- Free coffee in the morning and reasonable breakfast buffet.
5- housekeeping very eager to clean rooms and as a result, bathrooms are spotless.
So, as you can see, there isn't any negativity to write and I would be the first one to say it is bad if it was. This hotel is great. Excellent price, can't beat 99$/night.
(I would be very curious to see if all the negative reviews ever had any good stay at any hotel)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel M

Daniel M,

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to let us know you were pleased with your stay. We are so thrilled to hear that you had a good time and enjoyed our amenities! You kind comments about our staff and our facilities have been passed on, and we would love to welcome you back as a valued return guest during your next visit to Asheville.

Thank you.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed here for my wife's birthday on the points I have accumulated by being a consistent holiday inn patron. My debit card was charged $650..when asking about the problem I was told it was because I used a debit card and it holds the full amount of the stay.my response was there was no amount to be charged except for incidentals which here are $25 and most others are $10. Nothing in this room could possibly be $25 but that's beside the point. So after dealing with the problem for 3 hours on Friday I was told my money would be back on my card on the following morning. Surprise...not there. So Saturday I had to spend 3 more hours getting a resolution. 2 days of my vacation wasted on mistakes made by someone who prob shouldn't be working the front desk. Did I get a call from a manager apologizing for my troubles. Nope. But he will get a call because my next call is to ihg corporate. Horrible,dirty,old hotel....stay at the hi express on 26 instead.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank jmray0214
Rayna L, Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Hello jmray0214

We apologize for the inconvenience of your experience during your stay. It is true that we do run an authorization for our guest's full stay, but it is an authorization only. And while this is our standard procedure, we are sorry to hear that our front desk agent was unable to offer a satisfactory explanation to you.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had a 3 night stay at this motel. We have stayed here before when we visit family in Asheville, but I gotta say, that it is really looking pretty run down. The carpet really needs to be replaced, it was really dirty. We had one of those pillow top mattresses, the first night my hubby and I had a really poor night's sleep. In the morning we realized why, they had ill fitting sheets and a mattress pad that was not fitted to the mattress at all, and between the sheet and the mattress pad, it kept bunching up and made for a uncomfortable night. The next morning we took the mattress pad off and the next 2 nights we were able to get a much better nights sleep. The bathroom light fixtures were flickering, we reported it, and they were fixed by the time we returned in the evening to our room. Our internet connection was slow. There are many restaurants in the area, I do believe that they have a restaurant on site, but we never ate there. Good location, friendly staff. But the rate was reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Rayna L, Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Petite3,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience during your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your time spent at our location, and that our staff was able to resolve the issue with the lights quickly. And though you were able to relax and enjoy a comfortable night of rest during your second two days, we do apologize for the discomfort you experienced on your first night.
We do agree that the carpet has started to present an aesthetic issue, and we are happy to say that it will be replaced.
Thank you again for your review; we would like to welcome you back in the future to try our restaurant and to enjoy our other amenities.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were terribly disappointed in this hotel. Very outdated, very smelly, and very Small rooms. Everything in the room was old, the bed skirt was filthy. The carpet In the hallways and inside the room was severely stained and smelled. The lobby presentation was even poor. All of the lamp shades are broken and just hanging there, an eyesore for sure. The bathroom shower head was torn off of the wall and leaked. The idea of having a nice shower after a long 12 hour day of travel was out of the question. We will not be staying again. To sum this review up, this hotel is simply not maintained.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Rayna L, Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Ollieb89,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy during your stay with us. We have scheduled to have the carpet replaced, as we do agree that it currently presents an aesthetic issue. Your comments about cleanliness will be passed onto housekeeping, as that is generally an area in which we receive positive feedback, and we would like to keep that up. We thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.