“Denied Denied Denied”

Ranked #31 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Denied Denied Denied”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Do not stay here if your planning to stay in Asheville. There are tons of better places to lay your head. Places for you and your family no matter what you look like to feel comfortable and have a good time at an affordable price. Its worth it to look around. Let this place be a last resort and even then think twice. I have stayed all over Asheville in many hotels I visit my family and friends frequently since I've moved away, and have never in my life been treated as badly in my hometown. The front desk lady Tina denied my friend a room because she was a local. I let her know that she was paying for the room for me but I was the one staying and I have an out of state license I will just pay for my own room she told me NO. I asked why she said because your with her. I said is she not allowed on the property she cant visit me she said no mam. Was very rude about it too. Well that was her reason she gave me. I could tell by the look we received when we first walked in that there was going to be trouble with her. She really did not want to rent to us. I was so insulted by the way we were treated and I was denied a room I asked her for the corporate number she gave me the front desk phone number. Which let me know she knew she was in the wrong. So I turned around and went back and asked for the manager she was backed up by her manager Robin who first said it was to their discretion. So I asked Robin ok so how do you go about deciding who your going to rent to. Never received an answer. After asking three times the same question she just finally said NO LOCALS PERIOD... I'm guessing it doesn't take a genius to figure that question I was asking. HINT I didn't get the room. Then to top it off they tried to send us to a hotel that was way out the way like there weren't any hotels in the area that allow locals on their property. I guess if your the right kind of person you'll be fine here at this hotel. Hopefully you will not have any complaints because they will go unheard. You have to call a 1800 num. They take your complaint backing the hotel 100%. Your second rate. They tell you someone will call you back within 48hrs. They never called me. I had to call back and they said management had said ultimately the reason they didn't rent to me was because I stayed there before and they had problems with me. Knowing this was untrue I asked what the complaint was and they told me unfortunately they were not privy to that information. That's what I thought because there is no such info. Another problem with that is they didn't even know my name. I had never heard anything about this complaint never saw these people in my life. If that was the reason would it not have been easier to say that while I was there. If you want a memorable visit to my hometown of Asheville NC avoid this one unless you want to be judged when you walk in the door. Their independently owned too guys so I guess the actions of the employees is just a reflection of the owners. They didn't care enough to call me about my terrible, terrible experience. Management either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Ms M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced. I have taken note of your comments and will share these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Henrico, Virginia, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel stay. Its in a pretty location and easily located right off of I-40. I had never stayed in a regular Holiday Inn before, only the Holiday Inn Express. The bed was very comfortable, sheets amazingly soft. I slept like a baby here. Everyone was very friendly. From the hotel clerk at the front desk to the maids in the morning saying good morning as we went down the hall. They had a restaurant there. We only had breakfast, it wasn't free but I knew that going in and it was much better than the free stuff that normally comes at other hotels any way. You had a good selection and you got a lot of food for your money. It was delicious. I would definitely staty here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Honest disclosure - I was in a foul mood after flying 2 hours, driving 2 hours, and then my GPS got me lost twice and then didn't have a good fix on the location. All I wanted was to be left alone and have a workout. But the lobby was so noisy from the pool being taken over by a sports team that had checked in (I agree with a previous reviewer that having the open concept lobby with pool would not be my first choice. Certainly if I wanted a quiet swim, that wasn't going to happen and I would hate to have people watching me from the atrium!). The check-in people were very nice and put me in a quiet room. My only goal was to have a quick workout in the fitness room, but I continue to be disappointed that chain hotels consider a fitness room just a few pieces of cardio equipment. I can't speak to the food or breakfast... probably my next visit I'll try somewhere else and do a bit more research about amenities.

Room Tip: Away from any potential noise from lobby/pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Trolleyticket,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations regarding noise and the fitness center. We will look into these points. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Paragould, Arkansas
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving late, we chose to eat at the hotel. It was a wise decision! The chicken quesadilla was amazing and the large salad would feed at least four people. The chicken sandwich was great too.

The hotel staff was very helpful, and the pool was great. If you have a State ID, you cannot beat the price!

We will stay here again on our trip to myrtle beach next year too.

• Stayed March 2013
Woodstock, GA
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This Holiday Inn has been around for a while and has gone through several name changes. The rooms were extrememly clean as was the dining area. However, the carpet in the hallways is in need of being replaced. The beds are VERY soft so if you have back problems, this may not be the hotel for you. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed only one night. The staff, Mel and Bobby were very pleasant and they seemed to enjoy working and serving the guest. The lobby was very bright and clean. Our rooms were clean, comfortable, and quite large. The dining room was roomy and comfortable. Breakfast was very good and the man in the dining room was so helpful ( I am sorry I did not get his name). but he was right there if you needed anything. In the last week this has been the second Holiday Inn I have stayed in and the service in both has been excellent! I so recommend staying here if you need a clean, comfortable, enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: I was on the bottom floor past the pool and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Penhook, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I would have given the motel 5 if it had not been for a rude night manager. Everyone else from Managers, housekeeping and other staff where amazing. The motel has an indoor/outdoor pool, hot tub, fitness center, small bar, really great breakfast buffet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends