“Excellent place”

Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West
Ranked #33 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Very clean and comfortable beds. Bathroom was very clean. Place and rooms smelled great. Furniture was in very good shape and had a contemporary style. Place was very quiet (we stayed on the first floor)

Night manager was extremely friendly and told us about their discount to biltmore estate without pushing and trying to sell it to us. Breakfast was not included with hotel stay, but price wasn't bad. $8/ person buffet. Food was tasty and staff was friendly.

Room price was the same as Ramada in one block down the road. We first went to Ramada and asked to see a room. We saw the bathroom and walked away.

• Stayed: May 2011
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West

Reviewed December 9, 2010

Let's start w/ the good: 1) the mattress was wonderful; 2) the girls on the front desk the evening of 12/4/10 were so helpful w/ recommendations and more; 3) rooms were clean. Now for the not so positive side: 1) This Holiday Inn desperately needs a facelift. The carpets in the hallways were stained; 2) the coverings for the light fixtures in the hallways almost uniformly were torn or had holes; 3) the sheets in our room one day had small holes and the next day had what appeared to be old blood stains; 4) there isn't a free breakfast included which is a bit unusual at this price point; 5) our first morning there wasn't any hot water in the entire hotel - to be fair, things happen and even though it took quite a while for a repair person to appear, they did have it fixed by late afternoon. Keep in mind it was snowing and quite cold, so not a great start to our visit. They offered a free breakfast to make up for the inconvenience. Which leads me to my next comment. 6) Avoid this breakfast. I think the eggs were powdered - neither my husband or I could eat them. There just isn't anything I can recommend about this breakfast. Save your $7.95 and go pretty much anywhere else. There are several fast food joints nearby that would offer a far better value if you're just looking for a quick bite for breakfast. Oh, the pineapple was pretty good and they offered yogurt. I'm not interested in being harsh w/ this hotel, but I want others to be forewarned.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I booked this hotel for our trip to Asheville after reading reviews on trip advisor. I was not disappointed. The seemingly new building was in great shape. Our room was very clean when we arrived and was cleaned well each day. The front desk staff were friendly and provided directions to local attractions. The hotel breakfast was nothing special, but was still very convenient. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed here one Friday night. They were fully booked the night before and had difficulty meeting the demand. We arrived around 7 p.m. and our room was still not ready. Our name was added to a list of people waiting for rooms and we went in to downtown Asheville to walk around and have dinner. The hotel called my cell phone to let us know our room was ready sometime after 8 p.m. This was okay with us, since we were adults. It would have been nice to get into the room and clean up before heading out for dinner. Had I been traveling with younger children I think it would have been a bigger problem.

When we did check in they gave us a coupon for one free drink at the bar. That seemed silly to me. There were three of us and we got one coupon - AFTER we'd checked in. If they'd given one to each of us when we'd first arrived we might have waited in the bar for the room to be ready.

The room was clean and comfortable. The front desk people we great with directions and also recommended a good place to get a quick haircut.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This Holiday Inn is an old property that has been ‘refreshed’ in recent years. The breakfast (not free) is very good with menu ordering or $7.95 buffet. The buffet includes fresh fruit (pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, bananas, oranges, etc. along with yogurt, cereal, eggs, meat, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, gravy, pastries, etc. We booked via ichotelsgroup.com and paid slightly more for the breakfast to be included. Kids eat free.

The issues were mainly with it being an older property… they advertise “high-speed internet”, internet is wifi, no in room plugs – this would be fine except there was no signal in the room and a very week signal in the lobby. They also advertise “Asheville's largest heated, indoor and outdoor pool, as well as a soothing whirlpool spa.” The pool was not heated; my daughter turned purple after 10 minutes in the water, and the whirlpool spa was not as warm as my bath water. We complained to management and they said they would reset the hot tub and did so by hitting the red emergency off button and turning it back on. That changed nothing.

We booked a nonsmoking room and when we got off the elevator, the smoke in the halls about knocked us out. I didn’t even go to the room; returned to the front desk and was told my room was non-smoking and I wouldn’t smell any smoke in the room. I asked for a non-smoking floor and they accommodated. Who in their right mind would mix smoking and non-smoking rooms on the same floor in a six story building?

The refreshing the property appeared to be mostly cosmetic. The hotel has dated architecture with room windows facing the main lobby which housed the indoor pool, restaurant, and bar with live music some nights. Lots of noise comes from the lobby straight into the room. If you are lucky you will get a room with an outside window. Also, the beds are way to soft for me – it’s like sleeping in a hammock.

I have stayed at this property many times over the years; however now there are several newer choices in the area. I doubt I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The hotel is very clean and not old looking at all. They have a restaurant and lounge. Indoor/outdoor pool that connect and hot tub in the lobby. The only thing that is different about this holiday inn express compared to most that I stay at is it does not have the updated color schemes in the rooms..not a big deal. Plus this is on the same road that goes into downtown, a 5 minute drive. I would highly recommend staying here for a great deal!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Very nice hotel. Exceptional price. Would stay there again in a flash. Friendly staff.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business