“Biltmore Village Location Not for Us”

Doubletree Hotel Biltmore / Asheville
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed August 11, 2014

After researching many Asheville properties both downtown and in the Biltmore Village area, we chose this hotel based on the overall price and positive reviews. It was easy to find, conveniently located near the interstate and within walking distance of Biltmore Village. The check-in staff was friendly and welcoming. We found our room easily. The room itself was a fourth floor executive tower king room with a balcony. The view overlooked the back of the property, which included the back parking lot and a very lush wooded setting. Not the greatest, but not the worst either! Our room was spacious with a comfortable bed, but a teeny tiny closet. The furnishings seemed in good repair. There was a microwave and coffee maker, and an empty space where a refrigerator might have sat at one point or another. We had some issues getting the television to work properly, but we were able to get it to operate by choosing a different input on the TV itself. The AC unit was also a little loud when it came on as noted by previous reviewers too. The bathroom was a good size with a generous walk-in shower but poor lighting, in my opinion. Most hotel rooms have pretty awful lighting these days though. We did not take advantage of the amenities like the pool, fitness center or breakfast. Overall, our stay was fine - quiet and comfortable, but not especially remarkable. If you travel with pets, this is a good option and a nice balance between the super pricey, but more chic and elegant properties in town, and the budget travel motels. It was clean and familiar.

I'm not sure if I'd stay here again - that choice isn't really because of the hotel itself, but we found the rates to be rather high for what it was, and the Village location was kinda underwhelming - the Biltmore Village is mostly chain stores I can find at home and very few restaurants. It also turns into a ghost town after 6 pm. We found downtown Asheville to be better suited to our travel style with a vibrant, lively downtown scene, tons of restaurants and lots of friendly people milling around.

Room Tip: Executive Tower rooms facing the back of the property are quiet with wooded views.
1  Thank blondeinabmw
BFH_Marketing, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Biltmore / Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Blondeinabmw -

We are glad that we were able to accommodate you at our DoubleTree Asheville during your recent stay to our area. It was nice to see that you found your accommodations comfortable. Our guests remark that our DoubleTree is befitting of the overall Asheville experience since we provide a unique hotel environment in close proximity to Biltmore Estate and Biltmore Village. As each of our visitors gets to know Asheville, we realize that they all gravitate to their favorite parts of our city.

I will make a note about the missing refrigerator to our management team. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again the next time you travel to Asheville, NC.

DoubleTree by Hilton Asheville Biltmore

Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Based on our stay I don't consider this hotel a value and can't say I'd recommend staying here. I wish there was a 2.5 rating because that is what I would give this property. On the service end, if it wasn't for our experience with the excellent staff serving breakfast, I'd give the service rating a solid 1.5.

I should have spend the extra money to stay at "The Inn at the Biltmore Estate".

Positives
Clean Living Area and Breakfast Staff

Negatives
Room Layout - The room is somewhat cramped. For example, good luck trying to maneuver the luggage cart into the room while bringing in small children. A second example is the bathroom. While the bathroom is somewhat clean the bathroom door nearly hits the toilet seat as it travels across it's arc.
Dirty Bathrooms - While the bathroom in our room was functionally clean, the vanity is a piece of furniture with areas for dirt and grime to collect. There is no way you can clean that piece effectively as quickly as they need to turn those rooms. Bad choice of decor there. The lobby area men's room was filthly at 11 AM! Disgraceful.
Service - The night we checked in my wife asked the front desk attendant if breakfast was included. She asked her about our membership level. She remarked "Oh, you're only a Blue. Breakfast is not included." So sorry for being the equivalent of a serf in your customer loyalty program lady. Maybe that is why we are still a Blue with you? On top of that, I saw a bald headed man who worked there berating younger staff. No guest wants or needs to see you trying to make yourself seem more important than you really are buddy.
Breakfast Serving Area - This facility is a catacomb. The breakfast serving area is all the way in the back of the hotel. You may possibly need a map or GPS to navigate getting there.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank EagleDad70
BFH_Marketing, Director of Sales at Doubletree Hotel Biltmore / Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear EagleDad70 -

We are glad that we were able to accommodate you at our DoubleTree Asheville during your recent stay to our area. I'm sorry that you experienced a less than satisfactory experience with the guest room cleanliness and service at the Front Desk.

I have forwarded your feedback to our management staff. They will use this information to train the individuals that were part of this negative experience to be certain these items are corrected for our future guests, which we hope will include you.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

this hotel was so wonderful. The food was great the pool was so relaxing with the whirlpool. Also i could not believe it one of the people on the waiter staff named Wendy waited on us and she was a wonderful nice person and was great at her job.

Room Tip: get the dream it gives you free breakfast for a few days.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank maddie101

Dear Maddie 101 -

We are glad that we were able to accommodate you at our DoubleTree Asheville during your recent stay to our area. It was nice to see that you found your accommodations comfortable, and our hotel in a great location in Biltmore Village. I will be sure to notify our management of Wendy's excellence in the food service area.

Our staff prides itself on congeniality and the cleanliness of our hotel, and we are glad you got to enjoy that aspect of our guest service. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon the next time you travel to Asheville, NC.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel is welcoming, efficient, and very close to Biltmore attractions. Beds are quite comfortable, and decor is pleasant. Our room was quiet and restful. Front desk personnel were friendly and helpful and tried to meet our needs. We appreciated the large closet and in-room safe. The flat screen TV did not offer a good picture, and there was no mini-fridge in the room. The bathroom was spotless and well-equipped, but it was so small, only one person could be in there at a time. There is no fee to park in the large parking garage. Our only real complaint other than the tiny bathroom is that this hotel allows pets in the rooms. My back was covered with cat hair after I sat in the upholstered chair, and my eyes were itchy and red the next morning. The front desk offered to move my room, though, and sent housekeeping to clean. The warm cookies or apples upon check-in are a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for pet-free room if you are allergic to cats or dogs
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Margaret P -

We are glad that we were able to accommodate you at our DoubleTree Asheville during your recent stay to our area. It was nice to see that you found your accommodations comfortable, and our hotel in a great location in Biltmore Village. I will pass on the information on the TV to our Engineering team to address.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I unfortunately ran into a couple booking related issues during my recent visit. The premium room I booked for 4 nights was not available the night I checked in because they had overbooked the premium rooms. I was downgraded rather than upgraded for my first night and then moved to the premium room for the remainder of my stay. The person who checked me in was very apologetic and promised to reduce my rate for the first night by $50. Then when I received my bill, the $50 discount was not shown AND the nightly rate for the entire stay was $10 higher per night than what I was quoted when I booked the room. The bill was corrected and they were again apologetic, but dealing with errors like this during a relaxing vacation is frustrating.
I ordered room service twice during our stay. Breakfast room service was perfect and right on time. However, the BLT & fries I ordered the night I checked in was delivered cold and was rather unappetizing.
Even with these slips in service, I would still stay at this hotel again. The location is great for Biltmore visits and is within a short drive to lots of great restaurants and wine bars. The hotel is very easy to get to from the highway. The hotel was clean and very nice. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and updated. The standard king room I stayed in my first night was a bit small, but the premium king room with the balcony was fantastic and definitely worth the upgraded price.

Room Tip: The premium room with the balcony is worth the higher rate for the extra space in the room as well a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Holly J -

We are glad that we were able to accommodate you at our DoubleTree Asheville during your recent stay to our area. It was nice to see that you found your accommodations comfortable, and our hotel in a great location in Biltmore Village. I'm glad that your billing was corrected since we want your stay to always be a relaxing one. I'm glad that you enjoyed breakfast, and I will make sure that evening room service maintains the appropriate temperature for your food in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

If you plan to visit the Biltmore Estate, then this is a great hotel to stay in. It is also an easy drive to downtown Asheville and the River Arts District.

Rooms are standard Doubletree. Great beds, small bathrooms.

Make sure you take advantage of the courtyard. It's filled with wonderful plants and flowers and is a great place to enjoy a cup of coffee. I mention the coffee because instead of having a hotel restaurant, there is a TGI Friday's where the hotel restaurant should be.

At breakfast, there is a small room that has a buffet. It was good and if it gets crowded, there is outdoor seating, too.

One small complaint...the elevators. This is a 5 story property, but the elevators are single ones placed at opposite ends of the sections of the hotels. We decided we'd walk down and ride up.

So, there you have it. It's the nicest of the chains in this part of town, parking is free, and Biltmore village is just steps away.

Dear Dan Cohen55 -

Reviewed August 8, 2014

The grounds were beautiful, rooms were comfortable, and the staff was very nice. The location of the ice machines was inconvenient and should have on each floor. Food for breakfast was good and the definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Deannne O-

We are glad that we were able to accommodate you at our DoubleTree Asheville during your recent stay to our area. I'm sorry that there was not a convenient ice machine near your guest room. I will forward this information to our management team for review.

Thank you for your review. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon the next time you travel to Asheville, NC.