“just passing through-ok, if long stay- keep looking”
Review of Motel 6 Asheville

Motel 6 Asheville
Ranked #57 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed June 14, 2009

very courteous staff, no real problems with the room or accomodations, however, if was old and just plain funky. stayed 5 days with another friend and we both had a lot of respiratory problems. i wonder if there was a mold problem?? the first night, it was obvious our roomed had been tidied but not really cleaned. we left a note for housekeeping and the issues were addressed. however, the rest of the stay, we had spotty housekeeping servic, at best. most days we just received clean towels--no one emptied the trash or made the beds. the motel is not really close to anything. there are a few other hotel/motels located nearby and a grocery store up the way, but you are not within walking distance of anything. asheville is an somewhat small town, so it is easy to navigate, but you have to drive everywhere if you stay here!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stay in many Motel 6 properties so I can compare good and bad from the same franchise. This is not one of the better ones.

As soon as I walked into the room I smelled something musty, either old cigarette smoke or mold/mildew. Since the windows can't be opened, I figured it was mold/mildew from running the A/C unit and not giving the room time to air out. I stopped noticing it after about 10 minutes. It was late and I was tired, otherwise I might have asked for a different room that didn't smell.

The rooms seemed clean, although dingy. I found an old sock on the carpet that the housekeeping staff had missed. It was a dark color and the carpet was dark, but still, how do you miss something like that? I hope it was just there from the last guest and not there for a long time.

I usually have no problems with the beds in a Motel 6 property. These beds felt pretty firm and not very comfortable.

Finally, the wireless wasn't working when I stayed there. When I reported it the next morning the clerk just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said "yea, it hasn't been working for a few days". It would have been nice to post a sign telling guests that the wireless was not available. Seeing as it's one of Motel 6's selling points, it seems reasonable.

This property is just too far below the standard of a typical Motel 6 property. I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank zitsky
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We are here as part of our vacation in the South. When we got to our room (114) tonight, we were dismayed at how run down it is. The bathroom door does not latch, the tub is stained, the sink has a very 3rd rate caulk job, the beds were covered in hair, and the linoleum is bubbled up. I had to request new sheets for the very uncomfortable bed. I will never stay here again.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Im_Eruditer_Than_You
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Stayed at this Motel 6 for the Bristol Race. At check in there was a nice front desk clerk who was nice enough to assign me a room in an area where I could park a 24 passenger bus. Got a non smoking room with a light whiff of cigs. I got out the citrus air freshner and it worked.
Air Conditioner in my room was okay at night and so so during the day.
Hot water was quick to come on.
This hotel has no fridge or microwave in room. Microwave is available next to front desk that you can use.
Note that this property is animal friendly. If you are allergic to animals, stay elsewhere.
There is a Waffle House across the street. Not bad at all. No sidewalks in that area. Also, there is a bus stop where you can get to downtown Asheville across the street from Motel.
The mattresses could use a replacement. I was in a room with 2 Queen beds and one of them was shot. Luckily the other one was no problem. Might want to get room with 2 beds in case one of them is shot.
The TV has very few channels. Would like to see this property get local weather channel, PBS station and local independent TV stations. Good thing there is HBO, Discovery, TLC, CNN ESPN etc. etc. Have to agree with another reviewer about tv volumes being hard to get in the middle.

Overall this is a conveniently located property off of I 40 with EZ access and good for a quick overnight with a pet. Just understand Motel 6 is a bare bones Motel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I usually keep my expectations low when staying at a budget motel. All I needed for that particular evening was simply a place to sleep for about 7 hours, and nothing more. This motel did not meet my needs.

Everything about this room was simply uncomfortable! I didn't realize how little things mattered so much until they weren't there:
- I had no bedside table or lamp, and had to keep reaching down to the floor for my glasses or drink.
- The mattress was so hard, it was miserable.
- The room came with only 2 very flat pillows.
- Paper-thin walls. I could hear one neighbor's TV and another neighbor's snoring. The next morning I was awakened at 6:30 am by 2 women outside engrossed in a conversation about their relationship troubles. I assumed these women were sitting directly outside our door until I looked out the window and saw that they were 4 rooms down!
- The volume control on the TV offered two choices: loud, or too quiet to hear. Nothing in between. Watching TV while someone else is trying to sleep was not an option.

The only good thing I can say about this motel is that it was clean.

There are bound to be better options for the budget traveler in Asheville. Skip the Motel 6!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dpladyreed
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I am normally a laid-back person and don't complain much about anything. But.... let me say this. Avoid Motel 6 in Asheville, NC, at all cost. If you have to, then, bring your own mattress pad... preferably, a memory foam pad or something.

Here's why.
At first glance, the room looked OK. A typical budget motel with a good-size TV, a small bathtub, and a bit of cigarette smell (though it was a non-smoking room.) The front staffers were all pleasant .

The railroad is close by so you have to put up with occasional big noises. But not a big deal.

I really thought I save a lot of money by staying at Motel 6 and I was happy about it until...

Until I went to bed. I was unable to sleep and just tossed around in bed all night. My back started to hurt b/c of the mattress was too "metallic."

Oh, yes, the mattress. The metallic coils/springs directly hits your back. That mattress in my room (I don't want to identify the room number) should have gone about 5-10 years ago. It's already dead. It sags and no matter how you try to avoid, you are practically lying on the metallic coils/springs. The mattress pad is about one tenth of an inch and it does not alleviate your back pains. That mattress looked at least 15 years old. I folded the bedspread several times and put it under my back. Still hard to sleep.

I strongly recommend the Motel 6 staffer to try that bed. I don't think anybody can have a good night sleep.

The next morning, I checked out a day earlier than scheduled and went to Red Rood Inn. I had a great sleep.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank mariaorohctga
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights and saved so much money. We went to a concert at Grove Park. We spent the day at Chimney Rock Mountain. Everything was extremely close. Walmart was but 5 minutes away. They did not have wireless internet but it was in the works. Great place for the price. Great staff. SUPER CLEAN! Built much like the Motel 6 in Bloomington, IN. Really neat!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)