It was graduation weekend in Asheville. Unfortunately, my old-but-gold parents and I were not aware of this before we decided to visit the city during our holiday to the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. Lo and behold, between 9 to 10 pm, we end up hearing, "Sorry, we have no more vacancies" from one hotel after another. Luckily, one of the employees at another Choice Hotel that was full called the Quality Inn for us and found out they had a room.
Although I wasn't very excited, Quality Inn on Tunnel Road was probably the best of all Quality Inns I've encountered. Sharae, who was at the front desk, is probably one of the most wonderful people in the world. She was so helpful in getting us a room considering the fix we were in. Although we were originally assigned a king smoking room for us three non-smoking adults, Sharae managed to work what I can only call magic and somehow get us a larger king non-smoking room that could accommodate a rollaway. If nothing else, I will stay at the Quality Inn over and over during my trips to Asheville just to know I am under the care of someone like Miss Martha Sharae.
The room was fantastic for a Quality Inn. The beds were comfortable. Even the rollaway bed was comfortable! There was a large desk in our room, a fridge, a microwave, a coffee maker, along with free coffee and tea. Toiletries were available and request for a bottle of mouthwash was readily accomodated. Probably the only issue was a missing TV remote, but that was easily rectified by the manager [we were too exhausted to watch TV anyhow]. The breakfast was more than enough for a motel: hot waffles, biscuits with gravy, hard-boiled eggs, some baked goods, bagels and corn flakes, with orange juice, coffee, and tea in tow. For those interested, there is a well-maintained swimming pool in the back of the hotel lobby area. The "business" area is small but does have a computer and printer for guest purposes.
There were really only four drawbacks (which weren't that significant anyway):
- outdoor bugs/insects: there are bugs all around the mountains and considering the outdoor facing doors on Quality Inn, you are bound to have a moth or some other flittering creature in your room. I want to be clear that the room is quite hygienic and neat and the bugs are NOT a result of bad room maintenance but rather the layout of not having rooms housed within an enclosed building.
- size of pillows: the pillows are the sizes of cushions, not your standard size pillow. Size does matter. Bring your own pillows b/c quantity will not make up for size.
- really loud air conditioner: probably one of the most efficient air conditioners I have seen [it took a humid 87 degree room and turned it into a brisk 72 degree room] but also one of the loudest darned things I have ever heard.
- can hear traffic very easily: you might thank yourself for your loud air conditioner as soon as you turn it off and realise you can hear every motorcycle and every car drive by, every person who walks by your room, every bug that slams against your window, and every leaf that falls. However, this is more a problem with the Tunnel Road location than this particular Quality Inn and might be different if the room were one that faced away from the main street [ours was right smack facing Tunnel Rd].
Overall, this Quality Inn stay was fantastic The staff [and most of all, Sharae!] was absolutely fantastic and helpful. The bed was comfy, and you can wake up in the morning and see the beautiful mountains around you as you walk to your fabulous breakfast. This is definitely a great place to stop if you are planning a trip the Smoky Mountains Railroad since you can enjoy the city of Asheville [which is about 10 mins from this Quality Inn] and then go onto to Bryson City. Also, be sure to request an AAA discount since it is quite nice. It's a great bang for the buck!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East Hotel Asheville
- Quality Inn And Suites Biltmore East
- Quality Inn Biltmore East
- Quality Inn Asheville
- Asheville Quality Inn