“Very Basic Motel, Rooms Better Than Expected”

Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East
Ranked #36 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Good value for what we paid ($60 on Expedia). Motel design with all rooms opening to exterior. We had 2 rooms and found them nicer than expected for the price and exterior apperance of property. Microwave and fridge were bonus. Location was fully booked (mostly families) so breakfast was extremely crowded but good. Don't plan on getting a workout in the fitness room - it was a joke. Good access to I-40. Would stay there again, but remember it is nothing fancy!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I took several students to Asheville to see the town and play in the snow for the first time and needless to say this was the worste experience I have ever had with a hotel room. We contacted the hotel about coming in a couple of hours early and that we would pay for our stay they said it wouldn't be a problem. What they did do is charge us a different amount without telling us. When asked they said we book the room on line and they were not going to give us that price. Needless to say their were bugs in our room, doors did not close all they way, and one of the student's got their brand new galaxy three phone stolen from their bag. Police were notified and hotel incident report done. When asked what the next step was the Manager (Sherrie) informed me nothing. She stated that she has worked with her staff for several years and that they did not take anything.

I would say stay away from this place and if this is the kind of hotel with the Choice name then my family and the clients I serve will also stay away.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nothappywithchoice
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Although the title of this property leads you to image a very different type of hotel, it is in fact an updated motel property with almost all room doors opening to the elements. Makes for close parking for those on the first floor who park before the lot fills. We have stayed at this property twice in the past six months in one of the suites each time. The suites have been reasonably priced, very clean, with excellent bedding and we did not experience any issues with the roos whatsoever. Staff was friendly and the breakfast was above average, however with the exterior walk to get to the breakfast, the potential for slick spots on the walkways could be an issue in the early hours of the day.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Upon check-in, I inquired about upgrading to a suite. The man (name withheld) working the desk cut me off in a very dismissive way and told me all suites were booked. I asked if it was just for the night and he replied "all weekend" - this was a Wednesday!

I went back to my room and checked the choicehotels.com site and it showed multiple suites available for our 3-night stay. Just in case this was a glitch, I called the main reservation line and they also showed there were multiple suites available. This really bothered me that I had been dismissed by the front desk clerk so I called customer relations. Elizabeth was patient and understanding and also showed multiple suites available, so she called the hotel and asked for a manager. The guy who checked us in was the only person there and he did admit that there were suites available and tried to cover his butt by saying that he thought I was only interested in a specific suite. (Maybe if he hadn't been so quick to dismiss me he might have understood my request!) It was suggested that I speak with the GM in the morning. We went to see the GM about 11:30 am the next day and were told she had already left for the day.

In the meantime, I discovered the following problems:
**the chair at the desk was covered in some oily residue and a rip in the seat
**a cigarette burn hole in the bedding of this "non-smoking" room
**the bed skirt was askew and dirty
**the shower head holder was broken and very leaky - spraying water in every direction
**found a large bug crawling down the wall in the bathroom

**photos showing these issues will be uploaded if possible.

The next day of our stay, I was able to catch the manager as she was leaving for the day at 10:20 AM. (Said she was on vacation, but shouldn't there ALWAYS BE at least a shift manager on duty?). I shared with her the experience we had at check-in and at first she seemed somewhat argumentative and told me all suites had been booked for some time. I then showed her the screen shots from my phone and offered to play the recording of my conversation that confirmed they had unreserved suites at the time I had tried to upgrade. I should also say I was totally wiling to PAY FOR THE UPGRADE and it wasn't as if I was looking for anything for free. She ended up checking to see if they could move us for our last night, but had nothing available. She did however adjust our total bill by 15% and said she would speak with the man who had been so rude. All things considered, I don't think we'll be returning to this hotel on our next trip.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank SoINtraveler
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Well, if you don't mind a 10 minute drive, which can be frustrating when navigating the number of highways, freeways, and interchanges that clog the Asheville area. Overall, for the money this was a pretty nice place to spend a few nights while visiting Biltmore and the city.

The breakfast was average though it can get crowded quickly. There are shops nearby if you need supplies including a nice looking bakery/cafe named Filo. If you're looking to dine near the hotel, there are a couple of chain restaurants and some local Tex-Mex looking places. An extra bonus is the local arts guild museum/gallery about four minutes away off the Blue Ridge Parkway near the hotel. Nice way to spend an hour or so before other things open up.

The room was mostly comfortable; we arrived on a Thursday night and it was very peaceful. Saturday night though we heard people outside yelling at their kids, or walking around in the rooms above ours. Sunday morning I heard people coughing and hacking.

Bed was clean; the room smelled clean; the bathroom fixtures were a little worn, but overall acceptable.

The check-in was easy though the agent didn't realize the room was pre-paid and it required providing my printed confirmation to avoid having to hand my card over. Check-out was over in 60 seconds.

If being removed from the center of downtown doesn't bother you, for the money this is a very good place to stay when in Asheville.

Room Tip: There are two buildings; make sure you ask the clerk to advise which building you're in to save...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2012

What a surprise, we did not plan to stay but it was late, we found a coupon and was a little afraid to use it, but the room and service was great we even upgraded for a fee but it was worth it. The only draw back would be the breakfast, but I don't eat breakfast. :-)

Room Tip: They will let you see the room before checking in.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We showed up to check in at about 10 pm. There are a couple of buildings and the way they are numbered is very confusing. Once we found our room we barely managed to park in a very tight space and lumbered up to the second floor with our luggage. Once there we saw that our room was totally trashed with empty beer bottles and crap everywhere. There was an indian guy cleaning rooms a few doors down and we tried to tell him, but he was just a jerk or just didn't understand our frustration. Then a young guy showed up and offered to clean the dirty room while we stood in the cold. We declined and so he offered us the room the indian guy was cleaning. We accepted but ONLY because all of Asheville seemed booked up at the time. The room wasn't terrible and the sink and mirror we're actually in the bathroom, which I consider an accomplishment for most hotels. The young guy was helpful and very apologetic- not his fault and he did as he had to. Overall, I wouldn't stay here again because of the layout and the issue we had on a one night stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family