“Nice hotel but not up to the usual Country Inn & Suites quality”

Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed here a couple nights while we were in town to see the Biltmore. There was nothing really wrong with the place just a bunch of little things that added up. The bathroom fan sounded like a jet engine and it ran every time you turned the bathroom light on. It also didn't move any air. The room had the old style A/C unit that blows all the time. I can live with that but the window curtains hung down over the A/C blower so the curtains blew around all night. The wireless internet signal was weak. The room was actually quite large but the hotel itself had a cramped feel to it. I think the hotel must have previously been owned by another chain and Country Inn & Suites bought it and tried to cram all the extras they offer into it. The elevator is at the end of the first floor hallway. I guess the best example to sum up our lack of enthusiasm for the place would be the two pictures over the 2 queen beds in our room. They were both the exact same picture. Well who really cares but at the same time - come on.....

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Audiopro
cx_aatr, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2010

We take comments as yours seriously! I’d like to discuss your experience with our hotel. I can be reached directly at the hotel by calling 828-254-4311(or) in email at cx_aatr@countryinns.com. I look forward to speaking with you. Warm regards, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,392)

Reviewed July 4, 2009

Visited Asheville and Biltmore. Very good location for both. No problems at all with room + good front desk service. Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Tina M, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We appreciate the time you've taken to rate your stay. Thank you for your feedback regarding our location and service. I do hope you'll return so that we can surpass your expectations of service and accommodations.

Reviewed May 21, 2009

The Country Inn & Suites was a really nice hotel. We stayed in a king suite on the first floor. We had no problems with noise or lights like others have described. It was a very good couple of nights sleep in a comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. The breakfast was tasty and actually included hot foods like sausage, bacon, and biscuits & gravy. The pool was very clean and well kept, though a bit cool (loved the skylight). The only negative that I noticed was that it was difficult to get out of the parking lot unless you were turning right. Otherwise it was a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2009

This was a one night stop over from VA heading to Savannah, GA, so we could check out the Biltmore estate. After many endless hrs on the road and a cramping foot from all the previous driving, getting turned around after taking the nightmare that is highway 240 we arrive to the hotel that has a large sign stateing it is a non smoking hotel. Yes, I'm in the minority percentile that is smokers. The place looked nice but the sign already put me in a bad mood. So this review is being made on my attitude at the time. The lobby is nice, saw it many times because we had to cart our stuff thru it....over and over....suitcases, cooler, walmart bags..ect..ect. Its the only way to your room. The rooms are clean and roomy but they have the coffee maker on the counter in the bathroom right next to the toilet. For some reason...I just couldnt keep my lip from not turning up at that. Call me what you will but I just cant think of a reason why I would need a cup of coffee while I was sitting on the john. Theres an indoor pool and jacuzzi which we didnt use and a workout room we didnt have time to use. If you smoke..beware....there is a huge fine if you smoke in the room. They have a designated area thats for smokers. it looks like a concrete racquet ball court outside which you need your room key to get back inside. Let me tell you its cold in February in NC. On the plus side. The breakfast buffet is awesome. Lots of choices. Endless coffee and the Biltmore estate is not far from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Loki70
Reviewed February 15, 2009

This hotel is perfectly adequate for a routine business stay. The rooms are equipped with a refrigerator and microwave. The bed was very comfortable. While there was a large number of pillows (5 or 6), they were all the same, so it was hard to find the right combination. The shower was strong and easy to control, and the showerhead was high enough that I didn't have to duck.

The room was very well kept, although I was a bit irritated by the fact that they took away the partially used soaps and shampoo every day - very wasteful.

The pool and hot tub are small, but nicer than most.

The parking lot is a little funky to get in and out of. You either have to use the main entrance, which has a steep hill and sharp turn, or go through the Waffle House parking lot. The location is convenient to the west side of town, but it is only a short drive downtown. Many restaurants are located nearby, some within walking distance. There is also a grocery store just up the road.

There is a good selection for breakfast, although it is pretty much the same every day.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Zaphod
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 separate times for work. I stayed Jan, April and July of 2008. Each time was a pleasant experience. Very nice sized rooms with comfortable beds and pillows. One stay I was near the elevator and could hear that running throughout the night so the next times I requested a room away from the elevator. Friendly staff, cookies and coffee available at check-in. You also could pick up the USA Today for free and they had books to read and return during your stay. The rooms had a coffee maker. The hotel has an indoor pool and gym to use. I used my lab top for free in the room with no problems. The breakfast is great...one of the best I've had at a hotel. You can check-out from your room without going to the desk. Very nice run hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CamaroNC94
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Stayed for 4 nights to see Biltmore and Asheville. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The location was pretty central to things we wanted to see. The room was clean as was the rest of the hotel. It was a good value. We stayed during a busy time for the hotel - Bele Chere - but we noticed no decline in service.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MoonliteMaven
Travelers also viewed these Asheville hotels
6 mi away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
The Residences at Biltmore
The Residences at Biltmore
#26 of 66 in Asheville
Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown
Doubletree Hotel Biltmore / Asheville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate)

Address: 199 Tunnel Road, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC 28805-1844 (Formerly Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate))
Location: United States > North Carolina > North Carolina Mountains > Asheville
#5 Green Hotel in Asheville
#8 Business Hotel in Asheville
#12 Family Hotel in Asheville
#18 Romantic Hotel in Asheville
Price Range: $78 - $247 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate) 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Country Inn And Suites Asheville i-240-Tunnel Rd