“Always eat here when we visit!”
Review of Papas & Beer

Papas & Beer
Ranked #96 of 830 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have friends who live in Asheville, and this has because a must do whenever we are there..The service is good and staff is friendly and attentive. Food is great- portions are a bit large..no one needs that much food..but it is fantastic!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stopped by Papa's and Beer for a late afternoon appetizer before dinner. The atmosphere was typical Mexican and the Margaritas good. They have a salsa bar with many varieties that is a plus. The server made the guacamole at our table and it was great. The value was good but the service was slow.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

There are quite a few of these restaurants in the region, but the Brevard Rd one seems to be the only one on TripAdvisor. Doesn't matter. I've eaten at this one, at Tunnel Rd, at Greenville (SC) and Anderson (SC). They're all consistent, even to the point of having Gaelic Ale on draft. It's so refreshing to have to read the menu at a Mexican restaurant because it's not all taquitos and cheesy sauce. I particularly like the fish tacos, Caesar salad (yes, really), and Mazatlan shrimp enchiladas, but the various veggie burritos are good, too. Everything always tastes fresh and even, dare I say it, healthy. No stale chips, no green slop masquerading as guacamole, no rescuing one's food from drowning in "cheese". Big portions, so I often split a plate with my husband. One entree and two side salads are plenty for two people. I've never had bad service either.

Sure it's not "real" Mexican, but that's hard to find in most of the US. Also true that I went more frequently to the SC locations when I lived in Upstate SC because there was less restaurant competition than in Asheville. Now I live in East Tennessee and I wish Papa's and Beer would follow Tupelo Honey's lead and open a restaurant in Johnson City. So far I haven't found much resembling Mexican that's worth eating in that town.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We used to eat at this Mexican restaurant -- their food is good -- but service is only fair & the wait times long. The sister store just a few miles away is a local secret -- much friendlier with a salsa bar, great food and margaritas, very reasonable prices and they will let you call 30 minutes ahead for a table (but the parking is tight).

Reviewed January 23, 2013

There are several locations of this business, all owned individually by relatives, however they are not all the same. Each has it's own uniqueness. Some have excellent service and some locations not as much. They have a wonderful salsa bar. Definitely worth a try.