“The Wright Inn made our stay in Asheville relaxing and enjoyable!”

The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House
Ranked #13 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Our room was warm and inviting, Shirley was immensely helpful with directions and local tips, and the breakfasts were delicious. We felt welcome and pampered! Great place to stay - we'll be back!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House

Reviewed July 25, 2010

We've been to lots of B & B's over 30 years and The Wright Inn is probably one of the best we've ever experienced. The inn keeper, Shirley, was gracious and an excellent cook. It is said she hopes to never serve the same breakfast twice. Our room was beautifully appointed in keeping with the period of the house. The bed was comfortable. The front porch was a southern dream...large, curved with an elegant railing. Rockers, ceiling fan and table and chairs made it so comfortable.
The best part for us was that the owners live right next door and popped in on both days we stayed to say hi and make sure we were comfortable. That made it very personally. Bob and my husband talked Viet Nam for quite awhile. My favorite moment? When I found a magnifying mirror in the bathroom.. We'll be back Barbara and Bob.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

...this could be long; however, I will attempt to make it short..my husband, his Mother and brother lived on the top floor of the big house in the late 1940s when The Wright House, as it is called now, was a boarding house...David (Larry's brother) had not been back "home" for fifty years, and we were excited to surprise him...he was visiting us from California with his daughter and granddaughter...when I called for reservations, I was told The Carriage House was available.....lucky for us...the Carriage House has three bedrooms, living room, dining room, and kitchen.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The Wright Inn was a very enjoyable experience. Bob and Barbara the hosts were wonderful, knowledgeable about Asheville and very friendly without being intrusive.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Wright Inn. The Inn is beautifully nestled in a quiet and tranquel setting that allows you to get away from the hectic life and be pampered. The owners (Bob and Barb) gave some history of the Inn. And the breakfast was the perfect way to start the day.....I wish I asked for some more of the sausage....haha.....and we definitely enjoyed talking to the other tenants at breakfast and while rocking on the front porch. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed July 10, 2010

I did much research about the bed and breakfasts of Asheville, and based on photos and reviews, and our need for a room that would sleep three people, I chose the 1899 Wright Inn; I am sorry I did.

The 1899 Wright Inn is a nice enough B&B, but we paid top dollar, equivalent to other highly rated B&Bs in the neighborhood. Once we arrived, and had a chance to walk around, we saw other B&Bs with much more expansive and elegant grounds.

The hostess who greeted us seemed put out, and was not gracious or welcoming. We got the basic facts, and that was that.

We stayed in the Wright room, which featured a fireplace, but it was not set up for a fire, and there was no encouragement to use it. The room was chilly when we arrived, and we asked for more heat, we were given a space heater. The space heater traveled with us into the room's frigid private breakfast area the next morning; where we huddled in our nightclothes.

The Wright room is on the main floor, on the way to the dining room, and at 7 a.m. we were awoken by breakfast preparations, and other guests' comings and goings. This is a poor choice of room for light sleepers.

The bottom of the bathtub has peeling-off anti-slip decals, and the glasses in the cramped bathroom are the disposable plastic kind. Most of the flat surfaces in the room are covered with knick-knacks, which is quaint to look at, but a pain when traveling and wanting to unpack a bit.

The common areas on the first floor are open to the entry way, so there's very little sense of coziness or privacy. The largely uncomfortable furniture is arranged around the perimeter of the two public rooms, further squelching the desire to linger and talk.

The breakfast was delicious, and unusual.

My whole time there I had to force myself not to think about the cost of the room; we paid a luxury price and got average service, and no frills.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank 133travels
gizmo999, Owner at The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

I was very concerned by the review this guest wrote until I read the other 40 reviews that she posted on Trip Advisor. This traveler gave almost ALL of the lodging facilities poor scores so all I can do is reassure other potential guests to look at the validity of these issues.

As to the comments about the much more expansive grounds--- We have 1.4 acres of gardens professionally designed by the UNCA Horticulture dept and the winner of numerous Garden Club awards.

The gas fireplace was turned off for the season. It was 87, 91 and 92 degrees on the days this guest was here, and yes we had the fireplace turned off but did offer her a space heater to warm the room.

The glasses in the bathroom are the individually wrapped plastic glasses that are required by the health department. I guess the lead crystal glasses in the room were not noticed. I can not address the knick-knacks covering all of the flat surfaces in the room. This is simply not accurate. This room has hardly anything on the shelves, mantle, or any of the other flat surface. This can be easily verified by the photos on the website.

Since the economy took a down turn, we pride ourselves for keeping our prices low to help folks travel in this tough economy. Our prices are on the lower side of average when compared to the other hotels and inns in Asheville and we offer many specials to our guests.

A potential guest need only go to our website and look at the photos of the beautiful landscaping around the inn and grounds and look at the suite photos to appreciate the aesthetics of the room.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

Relax and enjoy. The Inn was a great facility and the owners and management were fantastic. We were appreciated and spoiled. Not only did they look after our needs, their information and suggestions on our activities made for a much needed getaway becoming a memorable, need to do again adventure.