“Fabulous Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
Georgia
“Fabulous Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

We recently planned a last minute getaway trip to Asheville (first timers) and were fortunate enough to have found this lovely B & B! Bob and Barbara greeted us with a warm welcome and gave us all the information we needed to find our way around town. The old Inn is nestled in a quiet historic neighborhood but is also conveniently within minutes from great scenery, great shopping and great food! The Wright Inn is beautiful, warm and inviting, and it didn't take long to feel like home away from home. The breakfasts were amazing (thanks for the coffee and biscuit tips!). We have found that once you experience all a B & B has to offer you'll never want to stay at a chain hotel again! We definitely hope to return and have already recommended this charming Inn to our friends!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Reiser1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2008

Was in Asheville on business- usually I stay in chain hotels. But this time did something different.

I am so glad that I did!!!!!!

What a wonderful place to stay. Had a super breakfast served to me both mornings. What a relief not to have to go to some resturant.

And the Inn itself is so grand and beautiful. I recommend it so anyone- also very very reasonable for the price!

It is also very close to downtown, which is very quaint and enjoyable. I walked there a few times.

• Liked — The Inn itself is so beautiful- over 100 years old. But bathrooms modern- felt like a real home.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

The Wright Inn is beautiful. It looks just like the pictures on line. However, much to our surprise and complete dismay, the bed was EXCRUCIATINGLY uncomfortable. The bed was HARD and if you were close to the side it began to droop and you felt as if you would roll off. I had a backache after my first sleepless night. I asked if something could be done and the answer was "Sorry". Because of the cancellation policy, if we left, we would have been out 50% of a 3 night stay and so that was not a realistic option. As a result, we had to go out and buy a mattress topper for their bed!!! I also bought a pillow because only one of the pillows on our bed was not hard.

Additionally, my husband had to leave for a meeting each morning before the 9AM breakfast. Once this was expressed, their answer was a sweet "Sorry". So, he had to buy himself breakfast each morning. We didn't expect a hot breakfast, but, I do not think it would have been difficult to put out a muffin or a bagel for him. This seemed very inflexible to me, especially considering the price for the stay.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — The uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank travelin08
gizmo999, Owner at The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House, responded to this review, August 23, 2009
This issue confuses me greatly. Guests before and after this one constantly ask about the brand of mattress in this room so they can purchase one for themselves. Not only is it one of the best that money can buy, it also has a memory foam topper that makes it feel heavenly. We also do not understand the breakfast issue because we routinely make a "To Go Breakfast" for those folks that must leave and begin their day early (with advance notice).

We did not get the opportunity to speak with this guest (due to our being out of town) and an "Innsitter" was managing the Inn for us. We had used this particular innsitter previously and have used their services since, always with high praise from other guests.

We do not know what really caused this concern and we wish that we had heard of the issue before finding it on this review. We now can only SINCERELY apologize, and do so.
AmericanGerman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed in the Wright Inn for our wedding night and the night after. The room was beautiful, but a little small. We loved the balcony, but agreed if we stayed longer, we’d want a larger room. Our friend checked us in earlier in the day and kindly bought us a bottle of champagne. When we arrived at 1am, we found it on ice in our room with plate of chocolate covered strawberries next to it – a nice surprise. We were late for breakfast both days, but they held our meals for us. The first day, I thought we were only having muffins, but they brought us a tasty egg casserole dish as well. We had stuffed French toast the second day. Both meals were delicious.

Since we had family in town, we didn’t ask them for directions or even spend much time at the inn, but the time we were there was pleasant. We were left alone at breakfast except for food service. It was clear we were too exhausted to chat, and they respected that. Overall, our experience was good and we felt well-taken care of.

• Liked — comfortable room, good food, service
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmericanGerman
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

I was visiting the Ashville area/Biltmore Estates for the first time and wanted to stay at a B&B that was old & historic but clean, comfortable, and warm. The Wright Inn was perfect. The owners, Barbara & Bob Gilmore, were very friendly and hospitable. The house was charming! I feltl like I had stepped back in time, but yet had all the comforts of a modern-day home. The location of the Inn is ideal....it was so easy to get to downtown Ashville and to the Biltmore Estates. The breakfasts were scrumptious! I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience. I will return someday and I would recommend this B&B to anybody wanting to visit the Ashville area and stay in an Inn that is "just right"!

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank DHKay
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

My fiancé and I stayed at the Wright Inn during a sweet weekend tour of Asheville and the Biltmore Estates. The Inn is lovely, correction; the Inn is strikingly beautiful and just as pictured in their website. It’s situated in an older tree-lined neighborhood mostly consisting of other Victorian-styled homes and B&B’s, a few miles from downtown Asheville.

The Celebration Suite: This suite is unique compared to the others mostly because of its location. All of the other rooms are located in the actual house, whereas the Celebration Suite is below. I don’t want to call it a basement per se, but that’s where it is. The (private) entrance to this suite is located on the right side of the house, then one step down into the suite.

Pros:
This suite has ‘some’ vintage furnishings, but has a slight modern twist compared to the others. We thought that the painted clouds on the walls gave the room a fresh look actually. It’s also the only unit w/ a Jacuzzi tub (large square style tub w/ brass fixtures), which was a pleasant treat to step into after walking 6-7 hours through the Biltmore Estates… wearing cutsie sandals. The suite has a convenient mini-fridge, coffee maker, gourmet coffees & teas, and an (electric) fireplace, which made our stay even cozier.

Cons:
1) Part of me liked the seclusion of the Celebration, but part of me would have liked to enjoy the Victorian style interior of the upstairs suites. 2) the ceilings in this Celebration Suite are low and there’s only one small window, so if you’re claustrophobic (or exceptionally tall) then this might not be a good choice for you. 3) If you have any dietary requests please let the staff know when you check in or call them in the morning to remind them. I don’t eat pork and my fiancé alerted the hosts of this when he made the reservation, but they served me pork anyway. The hosts were so gracious that I didn’t say anything about it at the table. I felt as if I was an actual guest in their home, and not a paying customer (Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing though.)

• Liked — The building itself – it is so beautiful. There’s an aura about this house that made us feel comfortable as soon as we pulled up the driveway
  • Disliked — The customary group breakfast common to most B&B’s. The dinning room is exquisite with silk napkins and fine china, however next time I’ll probably ask our hosts if we could enjoy b-fast in the comfort of our room and forgo having to exchange awkward chit-chat with strangers over coffee
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Blusie
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2007

My wife & I were very fortunate to find a last minute weekend reservation available with Bob & Barbara at their wonderful B & B.

We found the Wright Inn to be superior in many ways:

• Barbara's recipes were far beyond anything we had experienced at other B&Bs. Absolutely 5 stars! (Watch for her cookbook...)
• The accomodations were excellent & just as represented by their web site.
• Above all, they went out of their way to be helpful & ensure that we had everything we needed—including advice, directions and suggestions about what to avoid. They could not have been better hosts!

• Liked — The most gracious hosts!
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple