“Great Inn”

Ranked #16 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
AmericanGerman
“Great Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed in the Wright Inn for our wedding night and the night after. The room was beautiful, but a little small. We loved the balcony, but agreed if we stayed longer, we’d want a larger room. Our friend checked us in earlier in the day and kindly bought us a bottle of champagne. When we arrived at 1am, we found it on ice in our room with plate of chocolate covered strawberries next to it – a nice surprise. We were late for breakfast both days, but they held our meals for us. The first day, I thought we were only having muffins, but they brought us a tasty egg casserole dish as well. We had stuffed French toast the second day. Both meals were delicious.

Since we had family in town, we didn’t ask them for directions or even spend much time at the inn, but the time we were there was pleasant. We were left alone at breakfast except for food service. It was clear we were too exhausted to chat, and they respected that. Overall, our experience was good and we felt well-taken care of.

• Liked — comfortable room, good food, service
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmericanGerman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

I was visiting the Ashville area/Biltmore Estates for the first time and wanted to stay at a B&B that was old & historic but clean, comfortable, and warm. The Wright Inn was perfect. The owners, Barbara & Bob Gilmore, were very friendly and hospitable. The house was charming! I feltl like I had stepped back in time, but yet had all the comforts of a modern-day home. The location of the Inn is ideal....it was so easy to get to downtown Ashville and to the Biltmore Estates. The breakfasts were scrumptious! I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience. I will return someday and I would recommend this B&B to anybody wanting to visit the Ashville area and stay in an Inn that is "just right"!

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank DHKay
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

My fiancé and I stayed at the Wright Inn during a sweet weekend tour of Asheville and the Biltmore Estates. The Inn is lovely, correction; the Inn is strikingly beautiful and just as pictured in their website. It’s situated in an older tree-lined neighborhood mostly consisting of other Victorian-styled homes and B&B’s, a few miles from downtown Asheville.

The Celebration Suite: This suite is unique compared to the others mostly because of its location. All of the other rooms are located in the actual house, whereas the Celebration Suite is below. I don’t want to call it a basement per se, but that’s where it is. The (private) entrance to this suite is located on the right side of the house, then one step down into the suite.

Pros:
This suite has ‘some’ vintage furnishings, but has a slight modern twist compared to the others. We thought that the painted clouds on the walls gave the room a fresh look actually. It’s also the only unit w/ a Jacuzzi tub (large square style tub w/ brass fixtures), which was a pleasant treat to step into after walking 6-7 hours through the Biltmore Estates… wearing cutsie sandals. The suite has a convenient mini-fridge, coffee maker, gourmet coffees & teas, and an (electric) fireplace, which made our stay even cozier.

Cons:
1) Part of me liked the seclusion of the Celebration, but part of me would have liked to enjoy the Victorian style interior of the upstairs suites. 2) the ceilings in this Celebration Suite are low and there’s only one small window, so if you’re claustrophobic (or exceptionally tall) then this might not be a good choice for you. 3) If you have any dietary requests please let the staff know when you check in or call them in the morning to remind them. I don’t eat pork and my fiancé alerted the hosts of this when he made the reservation, but they served me pork anyway. The hosts were so gracious that I didn’t say anything about it at the table. I felt as if I was an actual guest in their home, and not a paying customer (Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing though.)

• Liked — The building itself – it is so beautiful. There’s an aura about this house that made us feel comfortable as soon as we pulled up the driveway
  • Disliked — The customary group breakfast common to most B&B’s. The dinning room is exquisite with silk napkins and fine china, however next time I’ll probably ask our hosts if we could enjoy b-fast in the comfort of our room and forgo having to exchange awkward chit-chat with strangers over coffee
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Blusie
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2007

My wife & I were very fortunate to find a last minute weekend reservation available with Bob & Barbara at their wonderful B & B.

We found the Wright Inn to be superior in many ways:

• Barbara's recipes were far beyond anything we had experienced at other B&Bs. Absolutely 5 stars! (Watch for her cookbook...)
• The accomodations were excellent & just as represented by their web site.
• Above all, they went out of their way to be helpful & ensure that we had everything we needed—including advice, directions and suggestions about what to avoid. They could not have been better hosts!

• Liked — The most gracious hosts!
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bulletsdad
hampden pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

One disclaimer, I am a man who likes to stay in places that seem to be focused on making my experience as good and as uncomplicated as possible. As for the Wright Inn, the property is remarkable. It is the second largest B and B in Asheville. The entire first and second floor, the area I believe most all guests occupy, has been painstakingly and exactly restored to its original 1899 Victorian era glamour. If you want to step into the wonders of that era, this is your place. The staff were very helpful and warm. The rooms are elegant, dreamy even, clean, superbly appointed.

My comments may reveal inappropriate expectations for one staying at a B and B, but here goes. Since I have a gluten and wheat allergy, I asked for breakfasts not containing these things. The requests seemed
simple to remedy the first morning, but I felt the character of what was served me was far below the quality of where we stayed. We seem to have agreed that I would have eggs and/or outmeal during my stay there, but instead, the second morning, I was served gluten-free, wheat-free waffles. They were tasteless, rock hard (so stiff it was hard to cut them without them flying off the plate). Other guests had
the same problem. What is so hard about making what a guest requests,
eggs? Don't serve something you yourself would not want to eat. Also,
I would prefer to be left to talk with other guests rather than have a rundown of what was in the things we were served. No one seemed interested in these rundowns. My wife also felt the blueberry souffle thing she ate our first morning there was tasteless.

Lastly, the owners have decided that they want to contribute to charity through charging their guests money for snacks that are provided on the first floor. I applaud active involvement with charities, I applaud the owners for being involved in charity, but do
not commit me to donate to your charity because I am hungry. It irritated me to pay for what was supposed to be a complete experience(except for lunch and dinner) and yet be expected to buy snacks. I'm on vacation, don't hit me with something like that. Besides, I have my own charities. As a result, because we seldom had change or single bills on us, we did not grab any drinks or snacks, although we would have liked to. I mean why spend so much money on a place then charge people like this? I should also share that our room was not made up during our two-night stay. I believe this was a freak aberration. I just mention it in case other people have the same experience. I share all this because my main sense is that some of the staff saw the experience as being more about them than their guests. It was a little too precious to me. Perhaps people who love B
and B life will not be bothered by these things.

• Liked — amazing restoration, bravo
  • Disliked — interruptions of breakfast, apparent inflexibility regarding meals, forced donation for snacks
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Buttleinpa
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

We just returned from a two night stay at this lovely, comfortable Victorian B&B in Asheville. I researched a number of B&B's before choosing this one, but found most of them to be out of our price range. Wright Inn is reasonably priced, but you don't lose anything in terms of comfort, elegance or service
We chose the Wilkinson Room, which was located on the quiet second floor. It was a large, beautiful room with a king sized bed loaded with pillows covered with crisp white embroidered pillow cases like I might find at my grandmother's home and a warm comforter. The bed was extremely comfortable. There were windows on two sides of the room, a lovely desk, and a gas fireplace, which we used each night. The bathroom is modern and spotless with scented shampoos and soaps and a powerful shower.
There is also a separate carriage house behind the main house where families can stay.
The innkeepers, Bob and Barbara, are unpretentious, helpful and friendly and truly made all of their guests feel at home. They were well equipped with maps, directions and restaurant suggestions and eager to hear about where there guests had been each day.
The breakfasts were excellent . On a busy day when the inn was filled, one group sat in the formal dining room and another group of four sat at a lovely table set up in the parlor. We were served by the hosts as well as additional servers and enjoyed delicious fresh fruit, Bob's freshly baked blueberry muffins, and carmelized french toast and bacon. There was coffee available before breakfast for the early risers. Bob asked as soon as we checked in whether we had any dietary restrictions and we noticed one guest had a different breakfast upon request. We also noticed that one couple was served breakfast in their room--perhaps on a private patio?
A refrigerator was avaialble for the guests' use in case you brought back some leftovers from your dinner or wanted to chill some beer or wine. There are also soft drinks and water at all times.
Our favorite time was late afternoons on the porch. My husband and I brought out our books and newspapers and relaxed in the comfy padded rocking chairs, chatting with the other guests as they returned from their day's activities. The gardens around the house are lovely and the neighborhood is very walkable. In fact, our second day, we simply walked downtown and left our car at the house for the day.
When we return to Asheville again, we would definitely return to the Wright Inn and highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in a historic neighborhood close to shops and restaurants.

• Liked — Location, hosts, comfort of room, ambiance
  • Disliked — Liked everything about it--no complaints whatsoever
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HappyNCTraveler
Tampa Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2007

Clean, Cute, Quiet, Awesome!!! We've stayed here before and love it. Close to everything and really nice. Will be back again!!

Stayed March 2007