“Fantastic B & B”

Ranked #22 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Scottsdale, AZ
“Fantastic B & B”
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I work in the travel industry and came across this B & B while searching B & B's in the Asheville area. We arrived after a full day at the Biltmore Mansion. Anthony greeted us and show us around the grounds and to our room. We stayed in the Dorothy Parker room and was quite spacious. Bed very comfortable. Great flat scren TV and wonderful bathroom and some great complmentaty tolietries, even a mini container of lip balm. Ralph oversees the gardens and must say they are just spectacular. We felt so welcomed and invited for a wine and snack get together in the late afternoon. Breakfast in the morning was most unbelievable. The sitting room always had coffee, teas, water and sodas, as well as all kinds of treats; cakes cookies etc. Should we find ourselves back in Asheville, I would definitely stay at the 1899 Whitegate Inn, again. The owners were always concerned that the guests we finding everything satisfactory, and spent time visiting with each guests. Great customer satisfaction.

Stayed April 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 9, 2008

This was a beautiful old house and our room was very nice. We had the Emiliy Dickenson room. There was a living room, bedroom, and TINY bathroom. They had to put the sink/vanity inthe livingroom since that bathroom was so small. But the shower was actually quite spacious.
There was a electric fireplace (yes, electric) in the livingroom which gave it a cozy feeling even though there was no real fire. If you watch tv, there was a small LCD tv also with built in DVD player.
We loved the evening wine and snacks. Plenty of good food to hold you off if you like to take a late dinner.
The rest of the house was also beautiful. The parlor had a nice piano which was often playing on it's own (must be haunted). Lots of nice decorations.
My only complaint, and I've read thru some of the other reviews, so I'm surprised noone else had mentioned it... was the breakfast. Now at a "Bed & Breakfast", I'd expect half the experience to be the "breakfast". Thus, the subject of my title... I hope you're not too hungry. The food was very nice, but there wasn't much of it. I'm not a big eater, either. And I rarely eat a large breakfast. We stayed 2 nights, so we had 2 breakfasts there. Both times, it was a small bowl of some kind of warmed fruit. One day, some pears and the next was some peaches. I didn't care for either of these. Second course was some kind of quiche. Both days, the quiche was very tasty. Then finally, third course was a very tiny turnover-style dessert. Again, very tasty, but that's all. I left the breakfast both times, still hungry. And I guess I could have asked for another quiche, but with such a crowded room, I would have felt akward.
In my opinion, with the price you pay for such a fancy place, I would have expected a sit down breakfast where you order what you want and they make it fresh. But again, maybe it's just me cause I don't see anyone else complaining in this forum.

So all in all, a very nice place, great staff, nice rooms. I would still recommend it, but just plan on eating an early lunch when you walk over to downtown Asheville :-)

1 Thank StuartDisco
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 29, 2008

We found this beautiful B&B's website on the internet and booked a weekend get-a-way from the city. My husband and I had never been to Asheville before, so this was a first.

From the moment we drove into the parking lot, the property looked so nice and well, kept. The gardens were beautiful, the staff was extremely kind and helpful.

Our room was the Robert Frost room and it was decorated so comfortably. The bathroom had all the workings of a modern bathroom while maintaining the original look of the house. My husband and I were very comfortable in the room.

The breakfast each morning was tasty and great. I was so pleased they accommodated my husband's special dietary needs.

We did purchase a spa package during our stay. Steve and Sandy were very nice and were kind enough to wait for us while we were running late. The spa treatment was conducted in our room with portable tables. I was disappointed in the table set-up. One of the portable tables was extremely short and my husband's legs dangled off of it. Another thing that I was not happy about was when the esthetician giving the facials would apply a mask on the face, and then move down to our feet and massage that, and then come right back to our face without washing her hands. That just seemed a little strange and slightly gross considering we had just been touring and walking all over Asheville prior to our returning to the Inn.

To sum it all up, the Inn was amazing and I will return, but next time, I may just book a spa package at an actual spa rather then have the treatment at the Inn.

• Liked — People, Food, Property, the room
  • Disliked — the Spa treatment
1 Thank Meliss1056
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We enjoyed this Inn very much. It is within walking distance of downtown Asheville, so you can leave your car and not have to try and park downtown. The owners and staff were great and will do anything necessary for your comfort and enjoyment. Each day at 9:00 a.m. there is a full three-course breakfast and at 5:30 p.m. there is a social hour with wine and hors d'oeuvres. They have coffee and homemade cookies at all times as well as soft drinks and bottled water. The owners have two well-behaved and entertaining Welsh Corgis. They are fun but not intrusive when on the loose. You will enjoy your stay here.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank bbtravelerCincinnati
Rock Hill, SC
Reviewed April 12, 2008

My husband and I wanted to escape for a nice weekend in the mountains and the WhiteGate turned out to be FANTASTIC! We stayed in the Ralph Waldo Emerson suite in the newly renovated Carriage House, and everything was perfect! It is decorated exquisitely, and the bathroom with the jacuzzi tub and separate spa shower was phenomenal. Besides being newly renovated, the nice thing about staying in the Carriage House is that it is separate from the main house which I think gives you a little more privacy. It had everything we needed to make it an ideal weekend, and more! The bed with all the plush pillows was great for watching a movie on a rainy afternoon on the flat screen LCD with built in DVD player hanging over the fireplace. They even have a DVD library in the main house if you didn’t bring any movies along! They have pretty much everything you would need in the room, including a mini fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, maps of the city, local restaurant reviews – even wineglasses and a corkscrew for enjoying a bottle of wine while relaxing in the jacuzzi tub or in a rocking chair on the porch. The breakfasts are great, and they are very accommodating for any special requests for food allergies, etc – you just have to let them know the evening before. We had a great trip and we definitely recommend it for the perfect RELAXING and ROMANTIC getaway!

1 Thank clemson_tigers
North Carolina
Reviewed March 30, 2008

My partner and I stayed at the whitegate inn this year as we had our civil union ceremony performed here along with our stay. It was the best experience I have ever had. The Inn was so clean and neat. The Owners and innkeepers were very pleasant and helpful. They booked reservations whenever we wanted to eat, gave us revews on restaraunts answered any questions we had at will. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a lovely, revitalizing getaway. Don't come as a business getaway because the relaxation you feel here will make you forget that you have any business dealings. I give them 5 thumbs up and we will be staying there again for our one year anniversary.

• Liked — The friendlyness of the innkeepers and clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 18, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the White Gate Inn for two nights last week. So glad we did rather than just another hotel!

We arrived and checked in to the Emily Dickinson Suite. It had everything we needed, including bathrobes, wine glasses and a corkscrew, remote-controlled "fireplace," and TV with built-in DVD player. Also lots of maps and write-ups of local restaurants, not that we needed them as the staff (Frank, Steve, and a woman whose name I didn't catch) gave us many recommendations.

Breakfast was the highlight of our stay, however. I had heard great things about the food, but was pleasantly surprised by the fresh flowers and lit candles on the table, Lenox china and silver coffee service! Brilliantly done on both days (including the flourless chocolate cake for dessert!), and Frank sat with us and gave everyone tips for what to do in the area that day. We bought Biltmore tickets directly from him. If you like having breakfast with all the other guests, meeting them and getting recommendations for good restaurants and attractions in the area, this is the place for you; felt very homey for us.

There was also a big greenhouse on the property but we didn't get a chance to look inside.

• Liked — Friendly hosts, beautiful house, walking distance to downtown
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple